PDA

View Full Version : v8 - Abuse

choogh
11-08-05, 02:32 PM
Ever wondered what REALLY goes on inside a V8 engine, with lots of pistons, valves, pushrods, rockers etc; all busy going up and down ??
The pictures were taken during a scheduled replacement of the camshaft and valve gear.
Prior to the work, the engine ran sweetly, tickover smooth and regular, no smoke from the exhaust, if you listened really carefully you may have heard a "slight" tapping" from the top end.
Andy Soar from Bressingham sorted it all out, "worst camshaft" they had ever seen....
But the damn thing still ran fine, fast and true, (but never over the speed limit !!)
Try that with your Honda Civic..
Cheers
Charlie

tarmacscratcher
11-08-05, 03:30 PM
My old Ford 302 had broken piston rings and still ran fine......mind you it burnt a bit of oil...:)
I think it takes alot to kill these big V8's.

Silent Partner
11-08-05, 04:02 PM
I thought their 'agricultural' reliability was the reason all Aussies and Kiwis ran them. If you lose 4 cylinders in the bush you still have the other 4!

Look at a Lotus in the wrong way and it goes pear-shaped! No that I'm bitter - BLOODY LEMON:angry: 8 cylinders good 4 cylinders bad!:thumb:

snake_bitten
11-08-05, 04:06 PM
My old Ford 302 had broken piston rings and still ran fine......mind you it burnt a bit of oil...:)
I think it takes alot to kill these big V8's.

I snapped a camshaft into 3 pieces in an old SD1, that killed it:angry: ............going like a train tho right up to that point.

but anything less than this and they just keep going.:thumb: