PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs for SBC

kurrmet
12-08-05, 04:58 PM
Hi all

I am after a little advice please, i currently have a selection of differant plugs fitted to my engine after rebuilding it but which spark plug should i fit to a 383 SBC with alum heads.

Thank you for your advice.:)

TINKA
12-08-05, 05:40 PM
Just ring Real Steel and they will sell you the correct ones and post them to you too :thumb:

CycleSi
12-08-05, 05:44 PM
After much homework and discussing with MSD, I have used the following for many years and they seem perfect. However, because of the MSD 6AL, I run a gap of 0.45" which reflects in the choice of plugs:

NGK BCPR6EY-11. Their part number is 3720.

robert
12-08-05, 06:13 PM
Hi all

I am after a little advice please, i currently have a selection of differant plugs fitted to my engine after rebuilding it but which spark plug should i fit to a 383 SBC with alum heads.

Thank you for your advice.:)

B7ECS from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

I did run B8s but they are a bit hard, great on the dyno if anything goes amiss, but just a bit too hard for the street. :thumb:

neil still building it
13-08-05, 07:28 AM
hi
just as a comparison std plugs for 'normal' sbc would be
champion: RV15YC4 -were RBL15YC4 (i think)
ngk : BPR6FS
ac delco : R45TSX ?
none seem to last very long before you're down to the usual 7 working again -does run sweet till this happens though....?!!!
any other recommendatios :anyone found a 3 or 4 prong version ...i've used these on 'normal' cars and they run real smooth+ more torque..perhapseven more mpg but who notices..? definately should be better 'EMISSIONS'
NEIL

neil still building it
13-08-05, 07:48 AM
hi again having just referred to the link posted previously i'm most suprised 'the EXPERTS' don't like the triple electrodes etc -all i can say is this cut across the grain of my experience...i think i may have been lucky(?)but i believe the improvement i've noticed may be due to the unmasking of the spark?think of 'normal plugs' they produce a spark shrouded by the side electrode.This must prolong the time it takes to ignite things...and with the central electrode firing sideways to the earth this is open to the mixture and i assume the flame front ignites more easily/quickly and completely..If you think for a moment this happens V. quickly especially if you've got v. high revs....?
like i say i've noticed more torque so how this can be bad i'm at a loss...
any ideas guys
NEIL

kurrmet
14-08-05, 11:21 AM
Thank you all for your help in sorting out which plug would be suitable for my engine:thumb:

I have two sets of the NGK plugs B7ECS and BCPR6EY on order and i will see i how get on.

tonym
14-08-05, 12:52 PM
I run a gap of 0.45".

0.45" ????? thats about 11.5 mm????? thats one hell of a spark plug gap :confused: :confused: :confused: :thumb:

SimonP
14-08-05, 05:10 PM
Yes, but his MSD box has been re-engineered by National Grid. 132kV does the job nicely at 0.45".

Simon.