PDA

View Full Version : Need your help again.........

h8jse
14-08-05, 03:14 PM
Hi all

Once again I need your help, the seller of the Cobra shown on the link below has no idea on what kit it is. Could anyone help in telling me a make? what there like etc etc? All help gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Jason

http://pictures06.aol.co.uk/NASApp/ygp/GuestLogin?event=DirectView&shareInfo=KnVVBplenSO02Jv%2foc5iLA8OaPZaznNB%2bw8e HoFi2x1WGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails&locale=en_UK&locale=en_UK

Miket
14-08-05, 03:20 PM
Jason

No pictures mate :( not even on AOL shared album which I am on.

h8jse
14-08-05, 03:24 PM
Mike

Just tried the link and it worked? could you try witchypoo220326's Album:ac cobra (http://pictures.aol.co.uk/NASApp/ygp/Start?event=DirectView&shareInfo=KnVVBplenSN3G1ONAEWj09yVo9IRBjA059AQCHOP ZMtWGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails) or this one: http://pictures04.aol.co.uk/NASApp/ygp/EmailLanding.ygp?event=DirectView&shareInfo=KnVVBplenSN3G1ONAEWj09yVo9IRBjA059AQCHOP ZMtWGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails&locale=en_UK

Thanks

Jason

Miket
14-08-05, 03:32 PM
Looks like a MK 1 or MK 2 Pilgrim Sumo :thumb: :thumb:

osgood
14-08-05, 03:34 PM
Jason

No pictures mate :( not even on AOL shared album which I am on.Mike yes it works narrow tunnel and Dax type scoupe but with Pinto engine MMmmm Osgood:confused: maybe SR, does not look like a Sumo.

h8jse
14-08-05, 03:35 PM
Mike

I thought that but then I looked closer at the front arches they look more flaired than normal? the other thing was fuel tank, is that normal? it looks like a sierra tank?, I see there has been repairs/ bodywork to the doors where the external handles were

Cheers

Jason

Purple AK
14-08-05, 03:39 PM
Looks like a Cortina based Mk1 Sumo to me ;) Dosn't look like it's ever been registered though. :( Is it Cheap?

Miket
14-08-05, 03:41 PM
Mike

I thought that but then I looked closer at the front arches they look more flaired than normal? the other thing was fuel tank, is that normal? it looks like a sierra tank?, I see there has been repairs/ bodywork to the doors where the external handles were

Cheers

Jason

Jason

Don't take any notice of Osgood :(, I'm 98% certain its a Sumo, the MK 1 was a much flatter shaped body than the MK 2.

Don't know which tank they fitted on a MK 1.

If Den Tanner, ex owner of Pilgrim see's this post he will confirm which model it is.

dinosoar
14-08-05, 03:53 PM
Defiately a ford based Sumo.
Not sure of marque or age though.

Andy

h8jse
14-08-05, 04:15 PM
It's currently at 2,550 Looks good for a mk1 pilgrim though. Its on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4568271511&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1

Jason

robinj66
14-08-05, 04:22 PM
I concur - the chassis is very definitely a Sumo. Look at the door & bonnet hinges, the shape of the bulkhead inside the engine bay and the narrow transmission tunnel and the use of Cortina front suspension. These factors and the mounting of the steering rack suggeat a MK I/II Sumo. The fuel tank is obviously an attempt to save space and is not standard Pilgrim fare.

The body shape doesn't look like a standard Sumo to me except for the moulded-in vents in the wing and the construction of the doors. Maybe someone has decided to add some individuality to it. Also couldn't see any mouldings in the nose for the front overiders. Certainly the Mk II' s had them but not sure about the early ones. photos 5 & 6 show an interruption to the lip of the cockpit which is a feature of some Sumo bodies but the front & rear wheelarches are definitely not standard Sumo.

Not much help really - best guess is a modified sumo body on an early Sumo chassis.

TINKA
14-08-05, 05:53 PM
Yes i agree with most of the above it looks like a sumo to me too. If the price is right and you don't mind undoing most of it to check it is all put together correctly it could be a bargain( unless it has been registered in the past)

Happy bidding :thumb:

Miket
14-08-05, 06:01 PM
Looking at it in more depth, I'm certain its a standard MK 1 body, can't comment on the chassis.

We in the South West had a member a few years ago who had a MK 1 Sumo and that body has the same mean looking stance as his did.

h8jse
14-08-05, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all your comments and information. There was a post on here in the past with a mk1 Pilgrim that the chassis snapped due to a V8 being used and Pilgrim said the Mk1 chassis wasn't designed to take a V8 (could be mistaken?) is this true? I would want to put a V8 in it, what with the chassis being made to accept Cortina bits I wouldn't want to lay out the hard earned cash only to find I need to change/re-weld all brackets etc etc

I do like the look of it though, it really does have a mean looking stance :thumb:

Jason

TINKA
14-08-05, 09:12 PM
Think you should be OK with a RV8 but I would not want to put an American one in a MK1, Of course if you know what you are doing you can beef up the chassis to handle more power but I still think a RV8 is the safe limit. There was someone on here a while ago that had beefed up one if you do a search you might be able to find the post I think it was about a year ago.
HTH

h8jse
14-08-05, 09:16 PM
Martin

The trouble is I would want a Ford 302 5.0 or 5.7 chevy (yes I know the distributor is at the wrong end!)

Jason

Miket
14-08-05, 10:05 PM
Jason

Don't even think about an American boat anchor, Chevy or Ford in a MK1 or 2 Sumo, if you really want a V8 stick with the Rover (or get a Jag based kit) as it only weighs the same as the lump that's in there at the moment. :(

Seriously though, it will probably feel great in a straight line, but unless you do some serious chassis and suspension mods a Cortina based car with that much power will never go round corners at speed safely.:mad:

I had a MK 3 Sierra based Sumo with a moderate 185bhp RV8 and I loved the car to bits till I came to thrashing it into corners, scary. :(

Consider what you want from a Cobra and set your budget accordingly.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

h8jse
15-08-05, 08:12 AM
Thanks mike, I was going to go down the road of a Pilgrim with Sierra running gear along with fitting as I said a 302 or Chevy lump, I take it this is not a good idea then?? I went out with Tony in Pilgrims demonstrator which had the RV8 in it and I wasn't that impressed with the performance. I think this was something to do with my partner hiring me the 5.0 260 ish bhp Jag based Pilgrim last year from Avanti for the weekend (very enjoyable :) )

Jason

Miket
15-08-05, 08:32 AM
Jason

There are loads of folks on here with Chevys and Fords in Sumo's and are perfectly happy with the handling, don't get me wrong, the Sumo is a good value for money car, but I personally wasn't happy with the feel of the car at speed round bends, suppose it all depends on what your used to driving normally. ;) :thumb: :thumb:

osgood
15-08-05, 09:01 AM
Jason

Don't take any notice of Osgood :(, I'm 98% certain its a Sumo, the MK 1 was a much flatter shaped body than the MK 2.

Don't know which tank they fitted on a MK 1.

If Den Tanner, ex owner of Pilgrim see's this post he will confirm which model it is.

HEY MIKE easey now!!! Yes I can see now possible Sumo re the repairs on the door:finger: Osgood:) :confused: