PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar 3.6 XJS - Urgent Info required

Martyn-ak427
15-08-05, 11:14 AM
Guys,

A friend of mine has recently had a "bump" in his 1988 Jaguar 3.6L XJS, (auto) & the insurance company following the bump have written this vehicle off, (Class C). He has advised the car has been written off due to the age of the vehicle & the cosmetic damage but it is perfectly drivable. He has offered to sell this vehicle to me complete, (including V5) for 295.

Can anyone advise the following:

Is the running gear suitable for installation on my AK build.

I have been advised it has a Powerlock Diff but could anyone advise what the ratio is & if it would be suitable for my 351W, (stroked to 393ci) with approximately 450-475 RWHP.

What would work out cheaper; buying this vehicle & renovating the running gear myself or buying pre-renovated running gear.

I like the idea of buying the complete motor as not only does it come with the V5 but I can also break the remaining vehicle & make a bit of cash on the side!

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Martyn:confused:

russell_ram
15-08-05, 12:02 PM
Buy it. If it's a runner currently, then you could minimise the renovationof hubs etc untill later - you'll have plenty of other things to spend your money on.

It has everything you need for an AK build.

Diff should be 3.54 PL an has speedo sensor fitted.

Gearbox, if manual, could be mated to your 351W if you wanted.

Of cuurse you'll be needing a V5 from somewhere anyway.

mylesdw
15-08-05, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure if this is right but I think I read somewhere that having been written off the car now belongs to the insurance company so you would have to deal with them if you want to buy it. Having said that, 295 sounds like a very good deal for the bits you need.

h8jse
15-08-05, 09:06 PM
Just a thought...... if you were to buy it as it stands wouldn't still be registered as a class C write off when re registering it? or does the slate get wiped clean after you get the AK sva'd?

kdavies3
15-08-05, 09:32 PM
That shouldn't be a problem, as when you register the Cobra you declare that the original donor vehicle has been broken up and scrapped. :thumb: