PDA

View Full Version : 4 days work and heres what Ive got.

Andy302
16-08-05, 05:57 PM
With the wife away doing pottery or other such arty stuff Ive taken the opportunity to shut myself in the garage for 4 days and get the engine block ready. I must say Im rather pleased with the results!

Pics attached show the block as received from the machinists and then after cleaning, masking and spraying with VHT Bright Red SP-121 of which I needed two cans!

I also sprayed up the front cover and water pump. The front cover was the only bit I could fit in the oven and bake at 200C to cure the paint. You are supposed to do this for 1 hour but I gave up afet 40 mins due to the extreme stench! Only draw back is that the colour appears to have deepened by a few shades so it now wont match the w/p or block:confused: . Pics before and after heating in next post.

Ive also managed to complete some of the jag parts using the full POR15 process of degrease, acid treat, POR15 silver paint and top coat with engine enamel. Initial results look good although the POR15 silver went off quicker than I expected and the top coat was applied too late so the adhesion may not be so good. Still looks OK!

Had to share that as Im rather chuffed its all worked out as planned!

Cheers

Andy302
16-08-05, 06:00 PM
The missing Pics from Post 1

Miket
16-08-05, 06:44 PM
Very nice for the engine :D :thumb: , but red suspension. :( :o

Martyn-ak427
16-08-05, 06:50 PM
Hi Andy,

Looks fantastic - well worth the graft!!

Martyn :thumb:

Andy302
16-08-05, 06:54 PM
Kind of taken the plunge on the suspension bits, I initially decided to do them red, then changed my mind and decided to leave them in the silver, then had due to a change of plans re engine painting I had a spare tin of engine enamel in Ford red so decided to use that! Also the POR15 silver paint isnt UV stable unless top coated with an enamel so it solves that problem as well. Plus it will be individual!!:thumb: Im sure other have done it...havent they?..am I the only one?...I feel so lonely....:p

Cheers

gareth08
16-08-05, 07:54 PM
Very nice for the engine :D :thumb: , but red suspension. :( :o

Mike
I was thinking of doing mine pink :D but now you've put me off. :p

Andy S
16-08-05, 08:01 PM
Andy do not worry about the change in colour after baking as the rest will change once they have been through a heat cycle as well so do not panic....
Love the colour, should look the dogs wotsits when its all put together.
Good Luck.

Andy302
16-08-05, 09:14 PM
Thanks Guys... I know Fords should traditionally be blue but Ive always liked red and the car will be a sort of deep red(ish) so red I went.

Just realised that the front cover doesent follow the same profile that I masked off on the block so Ive got to stick my masking tape back on and paint a bit more. Ill have to use the POR15 on the block as Ive run out of VHT again!!

Hey ho, its all good fun! Can definitely reccomend POR15 though, the silver went on really easily and covered really well. Only draw back with its permenance is Ive got silver fingers for weeks now!

Cheers

mark_biddle
17-08-05, 08:14 PM
I know what you mean. I was originally going to just clean my engine up and have a grind, but ended up with just the block from the original engine ! I spent 4 days with the dremmel and files cleaning up the casting flashes before paint..... I know nobody will see it, but I know it is done. Am I a sane man ????........

Andy302
17-08-05, 09:15 PM
Mark,

Looking good, I know what you mean about being insane!! :thumb: I cleaned up a few rough bits with a grinder (after it had been machined) and then wished Id gone over the whole block before it had been machined. The areas where I ground now have a really smooth finish under the paint and it would have been great to have the whole block like that!

What did you paint the insides with? I know you can use Glyptol but can I find somewhere to get it! I know some say not to bother but it does look good even though you will never see it again!!

Cheers

mark_biddle
18-08-05, 08:57 AM
Yes it is glyptal, I got it ages ago from Eastwood, but I don't think they are up and running in the UK. I think Frosts still do it though.

march717
19-08-05, 09:13 AM
Ford engines painted red usually make 10/15 bhp less than ones in the colour nature intended

craggle
19-08-05, 09:33 AM
What about Chevy engines painted blue?:)

Andy302
19-08-05, 01:56 PM
Ford engines painted red usually make 10/15 bhp less than ones in the colour nature intended

Its a bit like having stripes the whole Fords only being blue thing, If I wanted wool Id buy a sheep not follow like one!:thumb: :thumb:

Baahhhh!

P.S Nice looking motor by the way!