PDA

View Full Version : First windscreen KO'd

Chimeara
17-08-05, 08:03 PM
Just took the cobra out for a quick blast before the wet period comes in for the weekend. I watched as the speedo touched a cruising speed of 80mph on a nice secluded A road when smack. a piece of stone flew up and hit the passenger side of the windscreen 3 inches down form the top and about 8 inches in, within seconds this then cracked to a lovely 4 inch continually growing crack from top to bottom of screen.

I wouldnt of minded if it had done more than 2000 miles and was pitted but its an almost new tinted unit which is going to be costly to replace and a invove ripping the interior side panels out to get to the pillars.

and it was all going so well

Anthony

TINKA
17-08-05, 08:06 PM
Why do you need to strip it to get the side pillars out :confused: just remove the 4 screws each side and the screen can be removed leaving the pillars behind :thumb: think the replacement cost is about 120 from either Brass Craft or Autobrass HTH

Chimeara
17-08-05, 08:09 PM
That all sounds good but it is a Pilgrim screen meaning no screws in side pillars so the only way to get it out is to remove the bolts through the pillars, take it out and pull side pillars off. The only good thing to come of it is I can fit a centre stay while it is out.

Anthony

TINKA
17-08-05, 08:11 PM
ah what a pane, shame there is such a price difference or I would change the whole screen for if it happens again :mad: :angry:

Purple AK
17-08-05, 08:15 PM
ah what a pane, shame there is such a price difference or I would change the whole screen for if it happens again :mad: :angry:
Will probably be cheaper in the long run :angry: Are they still making those stuck together with stikoflex screens :mad: :confused: :(

gareth08
17-08-05, 08:31 PM
More top quality cr*p from Pilgrim again then :mad:

Antony,
As Chris says put an Autobrass or Brasscraft one in as you've got to take the whole lot out anyway.I know it's more expensive (about 400 I belive) but they are a much better screen anyway :thumb:

kobra
17-08-05, 09:09 PM
Hi Anthony,Sorry to hear about the screen.Did a car throw it up.Or was it just a freak happening.They should make Cobra screens bullet proof although the cost would be high.
The stigs last victim. Regards Kobra:(

V8 BJC
18-08-05, 12:58 PM
Anthony,

is it not covered on your insurance. Mine went in 2003 and I had it done for nothing as no window excess on the policy. I now have an excess but it is still only 50.

Kevin W
19-08-05, 11:48 AM
I worreid this might happen on my sumo, and took a leaf out of Vic Leggot's website. For that reason I cut the interior grp panels so that they stop at the recess where the door hinge is bolted. You can pull ut your interior carpet and cut away the grp covering the mountings and do the same. Then trim the carpet back, if necesery may need rebinding, but may well not. Then fold up some 0.5mm ali into a channel, (available from B&Q) cover with sponge and vynil to match your carpet. If fitted carefully it'll stay in place as a friction fit. Looks like a fluted panel when fitted. If you want some pics let me know.

Kevin

Jake
19-08-05, 01:21 PM
I suffered the same problem with a Pilgrim screen :-( and bit the bullet replacing it with an Autobrass complete screen. A bit painful on the pocket at first but worth it in the long run. I did find that the distance between the two pillars was slightly different and had to modify the holes in the body slightly. At least if it happens again it's easier to replace. :rolleyes:

By the way I still have the new Pilgrim frame which only needs a re-glaze if anyone is interested in a cheaper option for a screen if there building at the moment. :thumb:

dinosoar
19-08-05, 03:13 PM
I too have suffered the flying stone damage again.
I have heard of folks managing to get the entire assembly on the insurance.
Any comments?
I know the last one i had done was authorised up to 500 by the insurer.
I rekon if you take it to your local autoglass and tell them where to source a replacement assay from and that you will undertake the fitment they may well be able to arrange a new assay.
Worth a try

Andy

Neil O
19-08-05, 05:16 PM
Antony,
give Dave Shrubsole a call at Autobrass. He's based in Winkleigh, so you could drive down and pick up what you need. Maybe he can do you a quote for the job (including frame) that you can put through your insurance. I fully recommend Dave, he's a top bloke in my book and I'll be getting one of his screens for my Crendon.

Cheers,
Neil :D

tonym
20-08-05, 09:55 AM
When my screen went i phoned the insurance company who gave me the number of their prefered repairers who actually had a screen in stock :eek: I took the frame out and gave it to their bloke who returned it the next morning, all free of charge through the insurance HTH :thumb: