PDA

View Full Version : SVA & registration

rsk289
24-08-05, 04:18 PM
Read somewhere in another thread that you could now insist on your local DVLA station registering the car the same day as an SVA pass to reduce need to travel unlicensed, on trailer etc.
This is crap, I'm afraid. I passed SVA this morning at Norwich, and went straight to Norwich DVLA office to get it registered with all papers present and correct. The nice lady there refused to do it there and then, as there was no-one at the office who could inspect it.
As I live around 80-90 miles from Norwich, I declined her kind offer to process the paperwork and bring the car back for an appointment to be inspected, and returned home to try my luck with the Peterborough office.
Zilch, again - this time I fibbed, saying I had phoned Swansea to discuss this, and had been told that a new ruling now meant I could get registered the same day. They checked - and no such ruling exists. They have one person who inspects kit cars, and she was not in. They would only offer appointments on Thursdays or Fridays, but promised me I could legally drive the car to the centre for the appointment in the same way as for a booked MOT.

Cabo
25-08-05, 10:33 AM
Similar crap experience here. Aberdeen DVLA informed me that they are now no longer allowed to inspect the car. The local police have to do it. I applied 6 weeks ago to get the inspection done, but theres only one cop who can do it as the other one has been recently promoted, worse the guy who can do it has been away on an "important case" and wont be able to look at it for at least another week. So it looks like I will miss the last of this summer. ho hum.

paolo
25-08-05, 11:44 AM
What do the DVLA need to inspect before they hand over the plates? Given the car has an SVA (and sometimes an MOT too), what else is there to check for??

craggle
25-08-05, 11:55 AM
I went all the way down to Brighton DVLA from where I live (about 25 miles) to get the car registered. I was then asked to bring the car back for inspection either the next day or in two weeks time as the inspector was on going on holiday. I drove the car all the way down there and the inspection was a quick look at the chassis number Vin plate and that was it. Apparently it was to try to prevent other cars being registered under a different cars SVA certificate.

Craig.

TINKA
25-08-05, 04:17 PM
What do the DVLA need to inspect before they hand over the plates? Given the car has an SVA (and sometimes an MOT too), what else is there to check for??

As you are claiming to be building the car on another cars axles etc they have to check that this is what you have done and they also check the engine number . At least mine did :thumb:

Grease Monkey
25-08-05, 07:10 PM
In Bristol they also will only do it one or two days a week, and only by appointment as the guy only works there two days a week.

Since i dont have a unique engine number, he couldn't check that,

My Chassis number is full of powder coat, so he couldnt read that (Had to write it on with marker pen for the SVA)

He never got on his knees to look at suspension, running gear or steering column, so i think the whole 'dvla' inspection' is a load of toss.

Did give me a reason to drive 4 miles and past 4 speed cameras to and from the centre a few times without plates though. :D

robinj66
25-08-05, 07:49 PM
MAIDSTONE don't check anything except the chassis number. And you can read that over to them ! Complete farce.

rsk289
25-08-05, 09:10 PM
Yes, I suppose I probably should have taken the offer of an inspection at Norwich - round trip of 150 miles with no plates! Never mind, Peterborough's still a round trip of 40, but I can only think of 2 cameras on the way. I suppose I'll have to save it all up for them. I just hope they believe my Cortina donor originally had a 4.7 litre engine - don't want to end up with a 'Q' plate.

saviller
29-08-05, 10:01 AM
I went straight to the Portsmouth DVLA after SVA test, and they wanted to book me into an appointment later that week. I gave them a true sob story that I had already taken a day off a course I was doing in London, and that I was off on holiday at the end of the week. After consultation with the inspector, he agreed to inspect the car - result! However, after going through the paperwork I was informed that they couldn't register it that day as the chassis number was not applicable.
I have a Pilgrim Sumo, and used their method of setting out chassis number PS2004'mytelephonenumber'. No good says DVLA this means that the car is registered in Singapore. The DVLA have contacted Pilgim, who won't change their method. So the DVLA allocated me a correct VIN number SARxxxxxetc for the UK, gave me a piece of paper to take to a garage/MOT to get the number stamped onto the chassis, and the original one crossed out. They then had to sign the form to verify that it had been done, I sent it back to the DVLA, and I got my reg number a couple of days later - when I was in the South of France. Got my plates made the day after getting back - they also sent me the tax disc at the same time as the reg number authority - out on the road !

Richard

rsk289
29-08-05, 10:20 AM
All went according to plan - very complimentary about the Hawk, and no questions about the Cortina. Given a 'C' plate for '65, just as hoped for.

ti
29-08-05, 11:24 AM
I Did mine three days ago at Exeter .

I phoned the inspector on the monday,he inspected the car :rolleyes: on wednesday and
i went to the office on Friday-job done :thumb: .
I made up my number the pilgrim way ps2003 etc and no problems .
All he did was look at the chassis number on the bulkhead-wasn't bothered about the one's on the chasss and asked how many parts from the doner were used (he didn't check anything)
and said the magic words 'Age related plate' a very,very,very nice man :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Taxed from 1st of September :D :D :D

Marc Stackhouse
30-08-05, 09:55 PM
Kind of related in a way, can anyone help? I have a Dax Tojeiro built 1990 on '68 Jag. Log book says Jag, MOTs all say Jag, Tax disc (exempt) says Jag (historic vehicle). I bought it in 98. How would I go about getting it re-registered as a Dax and retain the G plate and retain the tax exempt status, or is it not poss? It seems people seem bothered if it says Dax or the Jag on the paperwork....?

rsk289
30-08-05, 10:02 PM
You either need a very good friend with a Dax going through SVA in the near future, or you need to SVA your own car.
We are told that 'Jag' on the V5 will become an issue with the new computerised MOT. Maybe in 2050.....

Marc Stackhouse
30-08-05, 10:11 PM
Thanks for reply, but not quite sure what you're getting at here as I'm not at all familiar with up to date regs. I assumed SVA cars were kit cars built from a certain year onwards thus fell under certain rules/SVA test etc. What happens with all pre-SVA cars and all other cars like mine?

TINKA
30-08-05, 10:22 PM
All cars that are registered incorrectly will have to go through an SVA test to be registered correctly. Most DVLA offices will then remove the Tax exempt status in the process, unless you are really lucky and they let you retain it. There was a long notice period for people to get their cars re registered correctly with them being able to avoid this, but I guess some people didn't bother and will now have to pay the price, or unfortunate owners who have since bought incorrectly registered cars will pay the price for not doing their homework as this has been a big topic for quite a long time now.

Drop me a pm if you want to know more and if you want someone to give your car a once over to possibly point out any areas that might cause problems.

rsk289
30-08-05, 10:24 PM
As I understand it, there was an amnesty a few years ago (I believe it ceased in '98) during which incorrectly registered kit cars (e.g. Daxes registered as Jaguars) could be given correct V5s, no questions asked. Since then, all cars have had to pass an SVA test. Now the talk is that the new computerised MOT test will enable MOT testing stations to see the registered details of the cars they are testing, and if what they are testing is registered as a Jaguar but is obviously NOT a Jaguar, they can act upon this. Thus, as the kit web sites keep telling us, do NOT buy a car which is incorrectly registered. Unless you want to put it through an SVA test - not easy for a finished, older kit. It sounds, unfortunately, that your car missed the amnesty - the owner at that time should have re-registered it correctly.
I am no expert on this - you should consult others in the know, probably on this site.

Marc Stackhouse
30-08-05, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info...I bought it in 98 but have never been aware of this. I don't suppose I would have been informed if the amnesty was pre-98 as I only bought it just after and have never had any guidance or queries from various MOT stations etc.

Martin - I'm only over at Shepshed so would be extremely grateful for any clarification or a once over. m.stackhouse@ntlworld.com or 07771 518053

TINKA
30-08-05, 10:45 PM
No problem will have to arrange to meet up.

steamyrotter
30-08-05, 11:04 PM
and asked how many parts from the doner were used (he didn't check anything)
and said the magic words 'Age related plate' a very,very,very nice man :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ti

And what was your answer to this question??

Cheers

D.

dave
31-08-05, 07:18 AM
[quote:44b4b7776b="rsk289"]Read somewhere in another thread that you could now insist on your local DVLA station registering the car the same day as an SVA pass to reduce need to travel unlicensed, on trailer etc.
This is crap, I'm afraid. "

This was me sometime ago. It was discovered within a few days that this was not an "Across the board" ruling as the DVLA inspector first thought when they told me, and seems to be at the moment just something that they do at Shrewsbury.
Let's see how cooperative they are when I turn up with a car tomorrow (Being the 1st of September and all) (Subject to passing the SVA test first).:thumb:

ti
31-08-05, 04:49 PM
Ti

And what was your answer to this question??

Cheers

D.

On the build up form i put Four things as coming from the doner

1 axles (front and back)
2 Steering (rack and coloumb)
3 Transmission (Rear Diff-as it transmits the drive to the rear wheels)
4 Engine (although this is a ford V8 i put it on the sierra logbook as a change of engine,
told him i used it to do some hill-climbing in)

But in reality you only need two number 1 and 2 are probally your best bet

Hope this helps :thumb:

steamyrotter
31-08-05, 08:42 PM
Cheers

Just checking.

I have the cortina axle so could not really use 2 & 3 together......

Or could I be that cheeky:rolleyes:

But definitely will have 1&2 unless I can convince them that a rover V8 is an acronym for Ford straight 4?? or the car came with 2 engines and they were grafted together....(getting silly again!)

Bit accademic really, by the time I get to SVA/Registration they will change all the rules.....

:thumb:

rsk289
31-08-05, 09:16 PM
Well, absolutely nobody questioned my 1965 Cortina 2-door, with V5 showing its 4.7 litre engine (and 5-speed gearbox - obviously not on the V5). Even used Monroe's book and a photo of the block casting to prove its age at SVA test, again no questions as to why an American book with American cars in it should contain information relating to a Dagenham Dustbin.
These 2, engine and gearbox (transmission), were enough to get a 'C' plate. All you have to do is change the engine no. and capacity on the V5 sometime in advance of registration. They do not check the make of the other components, even those the age-related plate is based on. I just don't believe they have people with this degree of knowledge - most inspectors at DVLA offices have far more important things to do (cut and shuts, police inspections etc.)

Marc Stackhouse
31-08-05, 10:46 PM
Just getting to grips with the SVA requirements (I who have been in an SVA total exclusion zone for the last 7 years!) I trawled around the DoT site - it mentions the following regarding SVA:

'Generally, your vehicle will need to be approved under the SVA scheme and issued with a Minister's Approval Certificate (MAC) if it is up to 10 years old from the date of manufacture and is not covered by either an EC or national type approval (British or similar national approval from another European Economic Area Member State).''

You guys will put me straight, but do I assume the '10 years old' bit is irrelevant as something like a Dax built in 1990 on a Jag and never changed to Dax on the V5 has no EC or National Type Approval anyway?

rsk289
01-09-05, 08:01 AM
I'm afraid so.

rsk289
01-09-05, 01:55 PM
and RESULT!!!!! Paperwork came through this morning, and yes, it's a 'C' plate - and YES! It's Historic, tax exempt!!

ti
01-09-05, 04:58 PM
and RESULT!!!!! Paperwork came through this morning, and yes, it's a 'C' plate - and YES! It's Historic, tax exempt!!

How do cars qualify for 'Historic' and become tax exempt ?

rsk289
01-09-05, 06:24 PM
Well, as I understand it, this is what used to happen, with the car taking the age and tax status of the donor (i.e. no tax if pre '72). But I had thought that this had changed, and that now the car got an age-related plate, but had the current year as its build date and had to pay tax. Seems Peterborough DVLA is a bit behind the times. It'll be interesting to see what the car's date is when the V5 arrives.

steamyrotter
01-09-05, 06:28 PM
Well done M8

Result or what.

Marc Stackhouse
01-09-05, 10:30 PM
Sorry to bang on but...the Kitcar forum on Petrolheads suggested:

'If the kit was built more than 10 years ago AND you've got documentary evidence (i.e. receipts from the time, letters to DVLA etc) AND you've got one or more old MOT certificates describing it as a Dax, they will re-allocate another age-related plate and you won't need to go through SVA. Unfortunately, thats a bit like companies that say they will only give credit to persons over the age of 85 if accompanied by both parents!'

That said, I do have all of the documentation relating to the car. I have all MOTs from the build year(1991)with 45 miles on the clock and one of the MOTs does say Dax Cobra, the rest Jaguar; only one year's MOT missing where I had it off the road for a year in 2003-4. It was built by RJB in Wolverhampton (not there now) and I have a (dated) spec fax from them to the first owner who I bought it from in '99. I have photocopies of all V5 incarnations with first owner and my name on it. I even have the sales literature from RJB which featured my car as their 'photographed' vehicle. It has been suggested I might be able to argue the case that I simply didn't know (stupid but true) the gravity of not getting the V5 changed and have used and taxed the car ever since. Worth a try you think?

rsk289
02-09-05, 08:23 AM
Who can say? It might well be worth a try, but once you contact the authorities about this you will presumably then appear on their radar, and I'm assuming that you don't at present. At a guess (and this is all guesswork) this might allow them to withdraw your tax disc, or something similar, until the paperwork is sorted. And that might well mean doing an SVA.
Take what you read on forums with a large pinch of salt - one person's lucky experience doesn't mean those events will apply to everyone. I would try asking some hypothetical questions at your local DVLA office, and if they don't know (which they probably won't) then try to get an answer from Swansea. But I would try to keep the vehicle anonymous for as long as possible - as things are, with the problems the govt seems to be having with computerised MOTs, you could have a number of years driving your 'Jag' without too many problems.

Marc Stackhouse
02-09-05, 09:07 AM
I take your point completely about keeping the car anonymous and they may well throw this out and make me SVA wheras the next man in the queue in similar circumstances gets through. Problem comes if I decide to sell the car in the next couple of years, resale, I imagine would nosedive with Jag on the V5....? I'll make enquiries as you suggest at my local DVLA office with the 'what if' conversation. I'm assuming from the various posts that no-one at the DVLA really has total clarification on this and it depends whether the person I see has a headache, or wife has run off with the milkman (or not) on that day as to whether it gets through without SVA?

rsk289
02-09-05, 09:25 AM
Frankly, I'd be surprised if you can get 'excused' SVA - the 'amnesty' dates were pretty well publicised amongst the kitcar fraternity, and usually ignorance of the law is no defence - but you never know! It would seem reasonable that if you have proof of age and true identity, and you had been, say, out of the country for a year at the time, this might be taken into account. It would certainly be worth exploring the avenue, as it would save you an awful lot of hassle.
There will always be someone out there who will buy, but I fear correct registration is necessary for a proper market price to be attainable. But you never know - there are a lot of people out there!