PDA

View Full Version : Virus - Help

RamSC427
30-08-05, 01:29 PM
I think that I have a virus on my PC at home. If I try to install a new ISP of NTL each time the software tries to use the modem it does not find the dial tone, also If I try to run my old AOL , it just hangs on the start page and will go no further. If I run the troubleshoot on it, it comes up with and alert of a script something to do with a Hostile Script. I am not too PC literate so need all the help I can get. I believe that it came up with the name something like Iwshshell3. I know that I should have written it down before I came to work, but I forgot to....

Is this a virus stopping me getting onto the net, which antivirus is likely to find and eliminate this virus.??. Will Norton or McAfee work or do I need something else bearing in mind that I cannot get onto the Net to download anything.

Thanks for your help.

Rgds
Andy.

prodrive
30-08-05, 01:40 PM
Hello Andy,

if you are on the net at work you can download a small programme from avast thats free, this kills all the latest and well known viruses. copy it to a floppy disc or one of those usb pens , take it home then just run it on your computer at home. you can get it from here,

http://www.avast.com/ its called avast! Virus Cleaner and its only 384kbs in size.
i use this a lot hope it works for you.

C U Prodrive :thumb:

RamSC427
30-08-05, 06:24 PM
Thanks very much for that, I have put it onto a disk and will try it tonight. Does this sound like the sort of thing that a virus would do? and has anyone heard of this as a Virus??

Thanks again,

Rgds
Andy.

prodrive
31-08-05, 02:30 PM
Andy,

in your first post you mention norton and mcfee anti virus software , which one are you using on your system , what system are you using win xp , have you just installed any new software , if so it isnt script sentry is it , as this ive heard creates a similar error IWshShell3 object, its some sort of script protection.

c u prodrive

RamSC427
31-08-05, 03:05 PM
I have McAfee on it, but it is out of date, I am using Windows XP and have not installed anything new on the PC of late. Did not get a chance to try the download last night as I go home too late. Will hopefully try it tonight.

What is Script Sentry?? Is the IwshShell3 a virus?

Thanks for all your help,

Rgds
Andy.

prodrive
31-08-05, 06:13 PM
hello andy,

IWshShell3 is not a virus , but you need to get your anti virus updated, there was a forum i have just visited and the problem you have maybe partly caused by your virus definitions being out of date and windows xp not being fully updated. you need to log onto windows update and check that you have all the critical updates installed. that when you can log onto the net. i dont think your problem should stop you logging onto the net.

prodrive.

RamSC427
31-08-05, 06:50 PM
Thanks for you help.

I will try tonight.

Rgds
Andy.

chesterak
01-09-05, 09:16 AM
I had a trojan that I couldn't remove. The problem was caused by not having a fire wall. I was using up to date McAfee Virus Scan but it got through, my mistake was not having a fire wall.
My solution was
Wipe disc and reinstall XP
(you may not have to do this as its a right pain to reinstall all application software)
Install Service Pack 2 - if you go to "Start", "Run", type in "winver" and if it returns Service pack 1, then you need to go to Microsoft website and download Service Pack 2 and all the security updates that are supposed to fix Intenet Explorer vulnerabilities and there are a lot of them!
I then installed ZoneAlarm firewall - free from their website.
As previously mentioned, there are a number of free downloads to remove viruses, I used "EWIDO" from their website and it cleared 48 viruses, trojans and other malware from my laptop.
Hope this is of help. :thumb:

RamSC427
01-09-05, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the help, I ran a new copy of Norton on it last night and it came up with a few 'dialers' that were listed as threats. Could these be stopping my modem from finding a dial tone?? I did not get the time to finish everything I wanted to, so still have no connection to the net with it.

Thanks for your help.
Rgds
Andy.

chesterak
01-09-05, 01:56 PM
I have very (emphasise very) little knowledge of PC's and how to fix/configure them so I'm learning as I go along - my expriences may not be of help with your specific problem. I know that "diallers" attempt to redirect your phone line connection to a provider with very high charge rates so I would imagine some interference with your modem connection. Whether this will prevent a connection I'm not sure. You are obviously reading these posts so you must have internet access so use this PC to download onto floppy/CD anti-malware programs as previously stated; avast, ewido etc and then run on the infected PC. Do this and see what happens. You may just have to reinstall your modem driver. :thumb:

RamSC427
01-09-05, 04:38 PM
At the moment I am reading the posts from work and it is my home PC that will not connect. I am still working with the Norton Antivirus that I have and it is this that has found these dialers. It has deleted a few but I beleive that there are a few more to go yet. It did not delete them automatically as it did not see them as a threat as they were not a virus, just a pain in the a**s. Hopefully I can get it connected again and then I will look to see what critical updates I need from microsoft and to also set it up with a firewall.

Thanks for everyones help so far.

Rgds
Andy.

route66
01-09-05, 04:54 PM
I suggest you follow these simple steps -

If you use Windows, upgrade to XP and install the free Service Pack 2. This has a number of security and stability advantages over previous versions.
If you use Windows XP SP2 make sure you diligently and regularly apply the Critical Updates and Patches via the Windows Update site.
Install known, reliable, supported and updated Anti Virus software such as McAfee.
Make sure you diligently and regularly apply the antivirus update patches.
Use a Firewall (either Microsoft Firewall included with XP or a third party firewall such as McAfee.
Use Spyware software such as Spybot and / or Microsofts free Antispyware.
If using a wireless network or wireless broadband connection, make sure you set up the network to be secure (preventing any hacking or intrusion).
If you use a dial up connection, physically disconnect the modem cable from the phone point when you are not using the PC. Thus, if you have a trojan dialer on the PC, a connection can not be made when the PC is unattended.
With the new and ever changing viruses and trojans on line, there is no excuse for not spending a bit of time and money in ensuring your PC is secure, and the patches and software are up to date.

Failure to do this will end in many tears and much frustration.

kenf
01-09-05, 05:07 PM
Just a thought... if you've got a trojan or dodgy dialler then one of it's purposes is to use your phone line to dial the number they want and rake in the money. with this in mind, it's unlikely that one of these diallers is stopping you from connecting. The most obvious thing to me is that either your modem is knackered or the settings have been altered. do you know anyone locally who will lend you a modem (if you haven't got one yourself) so that you can try it out? check you dial settings to make sure they're what they're supposed to be.

spybot is very good at detecting and deleting diallers. another good one is SpywareBlaster, which handles all the dodgy java applets. both are free, just do a search (at work) in google and download their installers and copy them to disc/usb pen/cd.

Another good program to download is 'Hijackthis', which goes through your registry to see if there are any dodgy entries, which it highlihgts and lets you choose what to do.

Ken

JonnyT
01-09-05, 05:55 PM
I had a complete failure of my computer about 3 months ago as a result of spyware which downloaded viruses. I had the most upto date anti virus software with all updates completed. I had to have engineers in to reboot the whole lot in the end which was not a happy task (as wasn't the bill). Took them 3 hours trying to fix and another 4 rebooting when that failed.

No particular knowledge on the current problem but what they did say is that Norton and McAfee are both very good programs. But the difficulty with them is that they are incredibly popular programs. Therefore if you are a hacker and you want to attack as many computers as possible, you find ways around these two programs (primarily norton) - apparently that can give you access to about 2/3 of the world's PC's. Therefore their advice was to use the more obscure programs that are a little more expensive, but will deter hackers because it gives them access to so few computers.

I think on mine they downloaded a free program called AVG from the web which has a free home demo version (used in commerce though), although I know little or nothing about the program, the engineers said it was one of the best around.

Hope this helps in the future although can't assist now.

Jon

RamSC427
01-09-05, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the help and advise. I have Windows XP, but I have to admit that this was most likely all my fault for not keeping up to date with the critical updates from Microsoft and not keeping up to date with all of the Antivirus updates. Always easy to be wise after the event. I will attempt to rid the PC of all the problems and then to do as has been suggested with all of the preventative measures.

Thanks again everyone

Rgds
Andy.

route66
01-09-05, 07:35 PM
Sorry to labour this Andy but I repeat from my earlier post -
"Failure to do this (critical and anti virus updates) will end in many tears and much frustration".

RamSC427
01-09-05, 08:22 PM
I know what you mean, I know I should of done it earlier, will do in future, easy for me to be wise after the event. I guess that will teach me for not taking the time...

Thanks
Andy.

RamSC427
05-09-05, 07:41 PM
Looks like I may have solved most of my problems. It looks as though the cable from the back of the pc to the telephone wall socket was duff. Changed the cable and the pc started finding he dial tone straight away. Am in the process of downloading the critical updates from Microsoft, been running for several hours now and still only 50% of the way there.

JonnyT
05-09-05, 09:16 PM
Now all you need to do is get virgin broadband and you will be well away!!!

prodrive
06-09-05, 08:23 AM
Hello Andy,

glad to hear you have sorted your problem and you are half way through the critical updates , dont forget to update your antivirus also .

C U prodrive.

RamSC427
06-09-05, 12:23 PM
Updated the antivirus, just need to set up a firewall thingy now. Any suggestions as to whihc is the best/easiest.

Thanks
Andy

RamSC427
06-09-05, 12:24 PM
Updated the Antivirus, Just need to set up a Firewall thingy now. Any suggestions as to which is the best/easiest

Thanks
Andy.

prodrive
06-09-05, 06:18 PM
Hello Andy,

nice to hear you are getting things together , you could run WIN XPs own firewall but it is basic, but better than nothing. i run "zone alarm pro" but the same company offer a free version of the pro version you could download that try it if you like the interface and everything works ok , you could always upgrade after . here is a link to the free version

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en

hope this helps, Prodrive.:thumb:

RamSC427
13-09-05, 03:14 PM
Thank-you....