PDA

View Full Version : Paying duty/VAT on US parts

apearce
30-08-05, 04:18 PM
Has anyone actual experience of being charged VAT/duty on parts mail ordered from the USA ?

(Also let me know if you HAVENT been charged - just as useful !)

Im trying to decide whether to order some chevy bits here or from across th epond and the VAT/duty may tip the balance. (If it makes a difference, it'l be a a sort of dizzy+carb+starter+alternator sized box, NOT a crated engine!)

Cheers
A

jamesandlouisa
30-08-05, 04:31 PM
i bought an intake manifold ands some other bits and bobs all came in big box, got charged vat but not the import duty, but did get stung for an out of state order charge? (summit), so not worth doing unless your ordering a load of stuff.

also you pay vat on the complete cost including the postage so all adds up, worked out to be about a third cheaper for me, but i was spending a couple of hundred quid. soon as you drop below say 50 dollars it gets expensive from summit.

recently bought a timing pointer for 7 dollars cost me 29 dollars all in to get it home!!! no vat this time as was just a small package.. i think its down to whoevers there on the day, big shiny boxes with edlebrocke performance on the side are just magnets for the tax man.

craigh
30-08-05, 04:45 PM
not so bad if you place a big order for a couple of hundred quid,add up all your bits and order them at the same time,not like me and keep forgetting things!

tarmacscratcher
30-08-05, 05:10 PM
Bit naughty but if you get them to mark it as "gift" on the duty tag.....you don't pay any duty. None of the big names will do this though. Or if you know someone over there...get them to post the goods to you.....marked as gift ;)

gwak76
30-08-05, 05:13 PM
I have ordered from various US suppliers and paid duty and VAT each time, when you work it out the Dollar price you see is not far off the Pound price you pay all inclusive, delivery etc.

That said it's still usually cheaper and quicker from the States in addition to the wider choice of parts. One thing I would not recomend is using companies in this country who source from the States, I was quoted 350.00 for a $250.00 flywheel, quick call to Summit resolved that.

neil still building it
30-08-05, 05:28 PM
hi everyone
i can see this thread getting its own FORUM......!
NEIL

tarmacscratcher
30-08-05, 05:38 PM
I bought a Ford 347 stroker engine from the states from T and L engine developments...they build nascar race engines...dart cyclinder heads,custom ground crank,roller rockers etc. etc
It cost me 3,000...that INCLUDES import duty and shipping. I would never source parts from this country you pay a middle man every time...ohh...and the yanks always send the right parts, any doubt just give em a call, the tech departments at Summit and Jegs are always helpful.

Clarkson
30-08-05, 05:48 PM
Ebay is a excellent place to by parts and pay no vat. Also I know a company in the US which you can deal with and pay very little vat. You have to mail me if you want the name of the company.The TAX man might be reading this!:mad:

Don't buy anything in this country it's a bloody rip off!

wilf
30-08-05, 07:22 PM
Just musing here you understand.

If one were to have a friend or acquaintance in the USA, they might see their way to buying the bits from Summit or wherever, and then gifting them to you.
Summit/Jegs/or whatever commercial organisation won't always/ever mark things up as "gifts". Friends of course, are quite happy to be benevolent toward you. They could probably even send the original invoice on by separate letter, just so you could see how very generous they were.

Boxes repacked in plain brown paper, or split into several small items and sent by std US airmail get here just as quick (and much more cheaply than fedex or whomever) and tend to often run under the "radar screen" of our very wonderful and lovely HM Customs and Excise. Especially if they are marked up as "gift, value under $20" by your oh-so-generous American friend.

Not that I could ever condone such actions, of course.

neil still building it
30-08-05, 09:00 PM
hi wilf

thanks for that -i'm sure that is reassuring to know for our foreign cousins
-the never new the had so many chums.......i'm in a similar predicament ..only my aussie 'friend' is in uk already.!!!!(timing is everything -DOH!!):angry:
NEIL
;)

march717
30-08-05, 09:22 PM
If you dont want a lot of stuff give adrian in birmingham a call 01213501116 he sells yank engine parts and is very well priced
as for not bying anything in this country it all depends on where you go

adricar2
31-08-05, 07:22 AM
Hi march
if anyone does require anything imported , i have some good rates with my shippers now, give me a call , i will not bite.
my telephone number is 0121 350 1116

march717
31-08-05, 12:19 PM
i was close with your number

salmon
31-08-05, 05:38 PM
Hi,

Not everyone in the uk is out to rip people off, the fact is that suppliers here have to pay and/or collect the import duty & VAT for Customs & Excise period.

Any imported goods are a matter of record with Customs and excise, just because they miss it first time doesn't mean they will the second and they can revisit any other imports you have done in that past.

Personally I have used a number of suppliers in the US and still do, some have been great, others have left me with credit car bill for 2-3 months while waiting for stuff to arrive.

Regards
Chris

rich
04-09-05, 04:26 PM
http://www.cobraaccessories.com/catalog/ (http://www.cobraaccessories.com/catalog/)
Do an interesting service!

"Address Book - We can now deliver your products to another address other than yours! This is perfect to send birthday gifts direct to the birthday-person themselves".

Could be put to good use :D

RamSC427
05-09-05, 07:24 PM
Just to clear up the misconception on gifts. The HM Customs and Excise regulations on gifts are very clear. They must be from a person to a person, no company names involved. They must be unsolicited. They must be of an occassional nature, and they must be below 36. If they fall outside of any of these then you will be charge Duty and VAT on the whole amount.

They way in which Duty and VAT is calculated is as follows.

Take the price of your item, say 300.00,
then add to this the cost of airfreigthing it here, say 50.00

You then add the two together giving 350 and Duty is charged at the relevant rate, say 3%.

So your duty bill is 10.50. This is then added back onto the original 350, giving 360.50 and VAT at 17.5% is then worked out on the whole amount.

Duty is Vatable.

Rgds
Andy.

Dutch Paul
05-09-05, 07:52 PM
I just got a parcel last week from the States

the figures are.....

Parts $1282
Shipping $290 (heavy items)
Total import duty/VAT 185 GBPounds

These are actual figures. The only "semi" honest way of cutting down the import/VAT is to have the goods sent to a friend in the states, remove all packaging/paperwork and ship them on to the UK as secondhand parts for a lot lower declared value.
The problem with doing this is if the parts are lost in transit then the insurance will only pay out the declared value.
My view is it`s better to cough up(though I begrudge(sp?) every penny) afterall it still works out cheaper than buying in the UK

RamSC427
06-09-05, 11:16 AM
I think you would find that if HMC found you declaring new parts as second hand with no paperwork, they would not see this as "semi" honest.

They would see this as you trying to defraud HMC of revenue due

Dutch Paul
06-09-05, 03:52 PM
I think you would find that if HMC found you declaring new parts as second hand with no paperwork, they would not see this as "semi" honest.

They would see this as you trying to defraud HMC of revenue due

It is the sender who declares the value of the parts and as he is in the States HMC wouldn`t go chasing over the pond to arrest anyone for a few hundred quid.
Whether they would hold the goods until the matter was settled is another story (probably incurring storage costs) :angry: :angry:

Like I said, IMHO it`s better to just cough up the reddies, afterall the money does go to a good cause :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RamSC427
06-09-05, 05:05 PM
If your sender declared the goods as second hand, then customs will take the view that the reason they have done this is at your request to lower the duty and vat that you have to pay. They do not take the view that the shipper has delcared them as second hand off their own back as they have nothing to gain by doing it. The only person that stands to gain is the person receiveing the goods.

You could argue all day that you had nothing to do with it, but I have worked with HMC for many years and have seen it hundreds of times. The person that always gets the blame is the importer as they are the one that has something to gain out of it.

You could argue all day long that the shipper was the one totally responsible and he did it off his own back to help you out and you knew nothing about it, seen it so many times, importer is always the one to carry the can.

john w
06-09-05, 07:13 PM
Hi A

I have paid vat & duty in the past, but it is possible to have the parts sent to you as a gift, but it wouldnt be possible when going to summit, you have to know wheir to go.

John

Robin427
07-09-05, 08:51 AM
As Paul said, quoting an artificially low price for things as "gifts" will limit the insurance payout. As for buying from eBay and not paying VAT - pah! I bought my engine on eBay and had to pay VAT and Duty on the CIF (Cost/Insurance/Freight) value. I also bought a jacket on eBay and got charged the same - by the time I got it, I realised I'd paid far too much and I don't think I've ever worn it... caveat emptor!!

apearce
09-09-05, 11:05 AM
hi wilf

thanks for that -i'm sure that is reassuring to know for our foreign cousins
-the never new the had so many chums.......i'm in a similar predicament ..only my aussie 'friend' is in uk already.!!!!(timing is everything -DOH!!):angry:
NEIL
;)

Neil - are you buying stuff Dellow Automotive by any chance ? Im just trying to decide whether to get the bulk of parts from them or the US...

apearce
09-09-05, 01:49 PM
Ebay is a excellent place to by parts and pay no vat. Also I know a company in the US which you can deal with and pay very little vat. You have to mail me if you want the name of the company.The TAX man might be reading this!:mad:

Don't buy anything in this country it's a bloody rip off!
Hi - thanks for that - yes i'd love to know the name of the company, and if you rather chat than type then im on 07881 857717, cheers, Andy

Clarkson
11-09-05, 07:45 PM
I am in Tenerife at the mo and will mail you when I get back on Sat!:thumb: :-}

rich
11-09-05, 09:08 PM
One other thing to check is what the shipping costs covers,
I have been charged before by our postal service as shipping was only paid to the UK and not to my home address.