PDA

View Full Version : Sva questions

adricar2
31-08-05, 09:27 AM
i am sorry if these questions have been asked before , but if someone could kindly help and save me allot of time researching information.

i am looking for a steering column to use on my cobra, which column would be the beast to use and would be sva compliant. are some better than others?

i was intending using spherical rod ends on the suspension, are there any problems in using these?

do i need bumpers on the car? i would like to fit quicklifts once the sva has been achieved.

can i use knock on wheels and a spinner? or are they looking for bolt on wheels.

can a fuel pump be mounted inside the car boot? i know you can have a pump in the tank,but can you have a separate pump external from the tank?

many thanks

craggle
31-08-05, 11:37 AM
Hi Adrian

I think these are the answers...

i am looking for a steering column to use on my cobra, which column would be the beast to use and would be sva compliant. are some better than others?
Any steering column that has the necessary safety features. The Ford Sierra column is used by Pilgrim and Dax as it includes a sliding joint and a collapsible portion in the top of the column.

i was intending using spherical rod ends on the suspension, are there any problems in using these? Do you nean the rose type joints? If so I can't see a problem with using them except they are usually unsealed so may be subject to wear if allowed to get dirty.

do i need bumpers on the car? i would like to fit quicklifts once the sva has been achieved.
No bumpers or nudge bars are required for the SVA test. You can fit what you like afterwards.

can i use knock on wheels and a spinner? or are they looking for bolt on wheels.
Knock on wheels are OK to use but they must not have a wing nut or spinner to secure them. I believe you can get hex nuts and a large socket to secure them.

can a fuel pump be mounted inside the car boot? i know you can have a pump in the tank,but can you have a separate pump external from the tank? I can;t see you having a problem mounting the pump in the boot space. Bear in mind though that any leaks will fill the boot up with petrol and fumes very fast. My pump is mounted next to the diff on the underside of the car.

Hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong on any of the above points.

Craig.

TINKA
31-08-05, 11:44 AM
Hi Adrian, how are things going looks like you are going to be very busy.

YES you can SVA your car with no bumpers on but if the holes are there for them do something about the sharp edges.

Knock on wheels I believe are OK but spinners are a complete no no.

No problem that I know of with a fuel pump in the boot but be aware of the constant smell of petrol that will more than likely result from this arrangement. But if you are going to fit fuel injection why not just get the swirl pot and pump from a 7 series V8 BMW, problem all solved in one go.

Any steering column should do AK use Rover SD1, Sierra, and now the BMW one, GD use the Jag one

Track rod ends ......NO IDEA :p

adricar2
31-08-05, 05:14 PM
martin

i would be tempted by the bmw set up , however i have an aeromotive pump and all the associated filters and fittings etc.
i will also have to use two tanks connected together as i want to fit a full size spare in the boot.

john cohen
31-08-05, 06:09 PM
My pump is in the boot . No problem on S V A . I have a sumo