PDA

View Full Version : Seats/belt mounts and SVA

maverick
31-08-05, 08:15 PM
Before I decide on which seats to use what are opinions on fitting tall seats into cobras. The reason for asking is some of these have eyelets at the top for the harnesses to come through. I think some of these seats are tube framed.
Fitting a top mount just behind the seat within the tub at the highest point(I think AK do this but there seat sits lower to allow this) and then feeding the harness through the eyelets. Would this be SVA compliant for the belt angles etc.
I note a few people have a harness mount further back toward the boot on the body to get the correct angle over the shoulder.
I know purists may say the seats shouldn't come above the body but I may be travelling long distances in mine and want to get proper support and reasonable comfort. Centre pages of the Summit racing catalogue last year had a yank cob with tall seats and as his hood seemed to be kept at the back of the seated area ready to be pulled up it looked good. It had embroidered cobras on the deadrest part.
Opinions please especially on the passing of the SVA-would this be a way around the harness mounting probs?
I am building an SR(Old one)
John.

TheUnixKid
31-08-05, 08:42 PM
You could go for the Cobra seat that Richfield seats in Nottinghamshire make. They fit removable headrests to their steel framed seats for comfort and safety on longer journeys but allow you to take them out when you want to pose and so you don't lose the original look. Three point harnesses fit around the stalks of the headrest in this seat.

That is what we are going to do for our Sumo.

TINKA
31-08-05, 11:15 PM
I have used the cobra high back seat and when I took it for the SVA they measured the hight for the rear fastening as the holes in the seat as this is the point that they would pull down on your shoulders from. The reason AK is the only manufacturer that has the rear fastening point under lip behind the seat is because the floor is lowered so much and the seat is bolted directly to it. Other manufacturers have there own solutions to this problem GD fasten the harness to the roll bars as I think I have seen Pilgrim do as well, Dax usually fasten ti to the third leg on the roll bar. As far as I can see this is the way around the fastening hight issue, so good luck. :thumb:

maverick
01-09-05, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys,
Martin - So if they measured the point on the seat as the top mount it would pass?Did yours?
I dont want to lower the floor like i have seen on the AK.
The eyelets on the seat themselves would stop the belts pressing down on the shoulders even though the belt is mounted lower behind the back. I take it this was your approach? If it passed it might be my approach to.
John.

maverick
01-09-05, 11:34 AM
Martin,
Computer had uploaded your pics after i had replied.
Looks good. How are the seats for comfort etc.
Are they a fixed tilt? They dont look to be much higher than the back of the tub.
John.

maverick
01-09-05, 12:05 PM
Martin,
To help me could you give me a measurement from the floor at the rear to top of tub. The eyelets look as though they are contained within the tub(maybe the seats are tilted back slightly?)
Is there a specific size of seat you have fitted so i can check if this type would fit my SR.
Thanks.
John.

TINKA
01-09-05, 04:20 PM
Hi John, yes thees seats passed the SVA with no problems at all. The seats are bolted flat directly to the floor. As my car is an AK the floors are the normal low setup, with the rear harnesses fastened in the normal ( for an AK ) place. When the examiner came to test the seats & belts during the SVA, he did indeed say as far as he was concerned the hight at which the harnesses come through the back of the seat is what in effect they took as the equivalent mounting point so passing the hight issue with these seats was a formality. If the holes were too low in the seat they would never be able to sell them to the Kit car fraternity so I would say it is a safe bet this would apply especially when these seats are used in other types of cars like the 7 series.

maverick
01-09-05, 06:51 PM
Thanks Martin,
I have to seriously consider this option. In my car they would sit higher being an SR. So hopefully they would still look OK.
John.