PDA

View Full Version : Brake lines - Pilgrim Sumo

darren
08-09-05, 07:18 PM
Can anyone help???? I am trying to fit the rear brake line T piece and am trying to find an SVA friendly place to put it, any advice or pics if possible. Also I have read on a previous thread that someone had run the copper line along the same line as the Granada - on the edge of the radius arm and fixed by the metal straps on the arm and this failed the SVA as there was nothing to stop the brake line rubbing - BUT THATS HOW FORD MADE IT???

Has anyone made additional brackets and put the flexi line from the chassis directly to the caliper and were there any SVA problems.

In the mean time, what did I do with that wiring loom......

Darren :-}

gareth08
08-09-05, 07:52 PM
Darren,

I tucked my T-piece up in the tunnel on the o/s just before the weld where it joins the rear bulkhead.I then used solid pipe to the flexes that go on the suspension arm and then solid pipe on the arms to the flex to caliper.No problem with SVA as long as its fixed as per OM.

robinj66
09-09-05, 08:23 AM
I have granada Mk II rear wishbones and (like Darren) I left them as Ford made them - The Sva tester told me to "cushion" them so that they wouldn't rub and to avoid any corrosion problems with two different metals meeting and vibrating (possibly a fear of some type of electrolytic reaction). I was allowed to rectify this at the test by using split rubber hose under the built in clips on the wishbones.

other than that, my T-piece is at the back of the transmission tunnel (there is a bracket built into my MkII chassis) and from there the solid pipes mate to flexible hoses which then join to solid pipes running along the wishbone to the caliper.

Can't find any pictures at the moment but will take some if it helps.

Robin

chedz
09-09-05, 09:27 AM
I placed my T-Piece in the centre above the tunnel, then ran copper to the tops of the wheen arches, then attached them to the flexi's via a couple of simple L-shaped brakets with locking nuts fitted to the ends of the flexi. I thought I'd put the T in the centre to aid brake balance. The SVA is about 2 years away so can't tell you if they like it or not ;)

TheUnixKid
10-09-05, 12:19 AM
Our T-piece is on the offside of the tunnel towards the front of the car. We had stainless steel brake lines made up to go from the caliper direct to the chassis secured in the middle with a rubber P-clip. I am contacting the SVA about this but there doesn't seem to be anything that says you can't do this in the manual. There is enough slack and they don't foul on anything.

darren
12-09-05, 06:02 PM
Thanks, For ease of maintenance I'm going to speak to the SVA centre and see if you're allowed to put the T piece on the flex line near the diff (Granada based) and just run a line across. Might be OK as the flex line is bolted to the chassis. Just trying to find the easiest place to get to with spanners.

darren
23-09-05, 07:28 PM
SVA testing station has answered my question. They will accept the following setup (if anyone's interested):-

1. Normal Granada setup of brake pipe from caliper and along the swing arm, held in by the clips as Ford desgined it with no extra protection/insulation/bodging- If its good enough for Ford its good enough for me (testers words not mine)

2. Flexi pipe from bracket on swing arm to the bracket welded onto the Sumo chassis (on both sides)

3. A T-piece directly fitted to the offside flexi pipe with the copper pipe from the servo clipped to the rear bulk head (behind drivers seat) then into T-piece

4. A third flexi pipe joining the offside T-piece and nearside pipe which simply loops over the diff/prop shaft.

We decided between us that it complied with all SVA requirements and allowed for very easy fitting and maintenance, the only condition is that the flexi pipe over the prop shaft must not rub or foul on anything - obvious really.

Like I said, if anyone is interested......

By the way this was done at Yeading test station.

Darren.

TheUnixKid
25-09-05, 11:51 PM
I dont suppose you know if it's okay to run a stainless steel braided hose straight from the caliper to the copper pipe on the chassis?

darren
27-09-05, 07:33 PM
I don't know, but the SVA tester at Yeading is very helpful. He's more than happy to tell you where other people have gone wrong and answer any questions I've had.

From what I've read on the forums it seems that all SVA testers read from the same book but interpret the rules differently. I would say that if you know which centre you plan to test your car at - ask them what they'll accept. If you want the Yeading phone number I can pass that on to you.

Darren.