PDA

View Full Version : 340-350 BHP in a Pilgrim?

h8jse
11-09-05, 09:14 PM
Hello all

your help/opinions are needed again.........

I've purchased the donor car, I've sourced myself a chevy engine with approx 340-350bhp (yes I know dizzy is at the wrong end) with an option to get more BHP out of it in the future. I am going to collect the 7 and 1/2 inch rear axle with LSD, I have watched a car is born DVD (a few times :whatever: ) I am about to put an order into Pilgrim for the chassis:) , however .............. I have just read a small section at the rear of the build manual under the heading of "Technical Specifications" in the sub heading of "Power Handling" it says "The chassis will accept power units with an output of 300 BHP" Now the question is have I got to scrap the idea of building a Sierra/Granada based Sumo due to the power output of the engine I want to fit? (The build manual I have is for the Mk3)

As usual all help is very much appreciated

Thanks

Jason

mylesdw
11-09-05, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. That 300 bhp sounds like a fairly arbitrary number. Add to that how you intend to drive and use the car and the fact that the chances are the engine will produce slightly less than advertised. Your proposal is not much over 10% more than recommended and it is difficult to see the car becoming undriveable or dangerous just for that margin.

Purple AK
11-09-05, 10:08 PM
James.

Ditto to Myles observations ;) Worth waiting for Gareth08 or GWAK76 to comment, as the diff mounting is the weak point I believe, But sortable ;)

Kevin W
12-09-05, 04:41 PM
If you;re worried, theres an outfit in Netherlands (I think) that makes retrofitts for sumoes to imrpove handling in high bhp instalations - they had a real 427 in their demonstrator, The guy was at Stoneleigh, forgotten his name, but its on the web somewhere, or call Tony at Pilgrim - he knows about them. Sorry to be so vague,

Kevin

gareth08
12-09-05, 06:13 PM
James.

Ditto to Myles observations ;) Worth waiting for Gareth08 or GWAK76 to comment, as the diff mounting is the weak point I believe, But sortable ;)

Thanks Chris :thumb: :p

As Chris and Myles that sort of HP in a Sumo is no problem with a few mods here and there.PM me if you need details. :thumb:

h8jse
14-09-05, 08:53 AM
Thanks all, I didn't want to build a Cobra only to find that the power of the engine is too much for it to take! thankfully I am only at the stage of gathering the bits ready for the chassis.

Gareth:

I would like some details, will pm you, Thanks

Kevin:

thats quite reassuring knowing a 427 has been fitted into a Pilgrim

Mylesdw (unsure of your name? Miles?)

i didn't look at it the way you did, I only saw 300 bhp and me having 340-350!

Again many thanks.

Jason