PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

ratty
15-09-05, 05:57 PM
I am looking for some advice.

I have just been offered a "rolling chassis" AC Cobra with a Rover V8 engine and Granada running gear fitted. The car is nearly complete bar the cosmetics. The only thing it does not have is the shell, seats and trim and the rear prop shaft. The bloke who owns it had to cut and re weald the front of the chassis to fit the engine? I have no idea why. Apparently he said it was too big!? It has a new carb and sidewinder exhaust system and new parts to complete the job. He has offered to sell it to me for a 1000 for me to complete it. Is it worth it? I have always dreamed of a cobra but have never heard of one with granada running gear? Is it a good deal or should I look else were?

Pictus
15-09-05, 06:19 PM
it could be a pilgrim sumo and for 1k it sounds ok is it just the chassis or does it have a body with it it could even be a viper id find out who makes the kit and see if you can complete the build my 2p

Warren

TINKA
15-09-05, 07:08 PM
On initially hearing your description I would have to say take his arm off at the shoulder :thumb: BUT you need to find out which kit it is to determine how difficult it will be to get a body for it, if you are not sure post some pictures of it here. Secondly be aware that if this chap has not built it correctly you might have to redo most of what he has done to get it up to a acceptable standard. Best to get in touch with your local meet and see if you can get someone to pop along with you who knows a bit about Cobra's. HTH

Andy S
15-09-05, 07:59 PM
In my huble opinion If he's had to cut and reweld the front of the chassis to fit the RV8 engine I would leave it well alone, no matter how good a price it is. unless he can provide a crack test certificate or similar for his work, assuming he did it?? and if so is he a qualified welder and was the chassis held in a jig whilst it was done, if not it might end up going down the road sideways.............then going snap as you put yoor foot down or worse hit the brakes.
Of course if he only had to make some new engine mounts then its not so bad.
However somethings niggling in my mind that if the RV8 didnt fit, perhaps the original kit wasnt meant to take a V8 and therefore its not just the front of the chassis you need to worry about but its overall strength.

ratty
15-09-05, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. I remembered some more info. It definately was a pilgrim. All of his parts came from pilgrim. The manual was for a Pilgrim Sumo too. Also he said the chassis was froma Mark 2 or a series 2?? That made no sense. The cut made to the chassis was made on the top struts by the radiator mountings at about an inch from the very front. The welding was done properly, however, I would have thought that the engine should have fitted anyway without modifications to the chassis? From seeing pictures of the Pilgrim Sumo, it looks like the same chassis. I dont mind stripping it down and starting again, but I just dont want to throw away 1000!! Any more help, I would be very grateful as I know very little. thanks

smash
15-09-05, 08:52 PM
Oh dear - this sounds familiar - talk to jenny or do a search for a thread about the front of her pilgrim collapsing through some similar mods....:rolleyes:

TINKA
15-09-05, 09:49 PM
If it is a sumo and you know someone who can do some mods to the chassis then I would have thought it is a bargain :thumb: