PDA

View Full Version : Drying out carpets

Robin427
21-09-05, 09:58 AM
With all the discussion about hoods etc. on the site, if I do get caught out in the rain and the carpets get soaked, how much of a problem is this? Has anyone had problems with mildew or staining?

clive a brown
21-09-05, 11:54 AM
If they get completly soaked then the only option is to remove and dry.

Clive

Kevin W
21-09-05, 01:01 PM
cut my floorcarpets oversize and stabled them to varnished ply boards. Givers noice square edges in the flootwells, and dead easy to pull out for drying - well thats the theory.

Kevin

kdavies3
21-09-05, 01:04 PM
Make sure you have drain holes in the fibre glass in the lowest point of the footwells too. :thumb:
Without a doubt you will getsoaked one day hood or not. :-(
My carpets a glued in but they dry out eventually and I've had no problems with staining etc.

maxGD059
21-09-05, 01:43 PM
Robin -could vecro the horizontal bits of carpet in which works for some stalwarts who are always getting wet. Personally I use a tonneau cover over the passenger side which keeps most of the water at bay.

Robin427
21-09-05, 03:54 PM
Drain holes in the floor? Plenty of those...

Might not fit the floor carpets before SVA anyway... depends on whether I can be bothered as I don't think they really cover any sharp edges

SimonP
21-09-05, 10:00 PM
Be careful about drilling holes in the floor, where the floor is a marine-ply/GRP laminate.
The holes should be waterproofed by there being a bolt through them, etc..

I fitted all my carpets "permanently" with that lovely evo-stik, except for the front mats, which, by their design, are removeable for cleaning.

Any carpets which get wet, can be dried out using a wet-and-dry vacuum cleaner, or a home carpet cleaning machine.

Where they have got wet, do not fit the hood or tonneau when storing the car, so that the remaining moisture has chance to evaporate rather than "sweat" into the rest of the interior.

Simon.

Robin427
13-04-06, 06:22 PM
Having been caught out in some rain on Tuesday, the Cobra got pretty wet inside, despite our improvised tonneau (kept the tunnel and most of the rear bulkhead dry!!) I'm glad I never fitted the floor carpets. The bits where the side carpets overlap onto the floor are pretty sodden so I've removed one of the seats (the passenger side seemed a lot worse) - will leave overnight to see if it will dry naturally - just hope for some sunshine!!

TINKA
13-04-06, 06:31 PM
You would be amazed how well a dehumidifier works drying out the carpets provided the garage is reasonably well sealed

Robin427
13-04-06, 06:40 PM
I'll try and get out tomorrow to buy one... will have to seal the gap under the garage door too, I suppose...

plod
13-04-06, 06:49 PM
Robin you little squeak.

Ihave been caught in torrential storm like stuff where I could have put my floaties on and gone for a swim either under the seat 'cushions' or in the foot wells.

Granted I was never close to being anal about keeping car in good shape, but after a clean and vacuum, my car was veryclose to being as it was when I bought it 18 months prior.

Getting caught in the rain now and again is unlikely to cause much disgrace to the appearance of your car. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Even other appliances mentioned, to be honest, nothing airs a car like air! Open tops afford us the opportunity of self de humidifying. Get a towel, call in at a garage and use their gear, or as it did, soak the excess in a beer towel. It's fine mate, wouldn't give it any more concern, you have aeroplanes to worry about.

The great thing about your post though mate is that you took it out in the rain anyway.

Keep it going! :D

Purple AK
13-04-06, 07:10 PM
Ditto To Pauls post. Our first major jaunt was a 400 mile 7 hour round trip to Exeter in November 2004 :rolleyes: Yes you guessed it. It rained for at least 4 hours of it :( But when we got home I just popped the seats and floor carpets out and allowed them to drip dry for a week. No damage done whatsoever ;) It's a car! It's meant to be driven :D

Robin427
13-04-06, 09:13 PM
I'm not too worried about damage, but don't want to get mildew growing on the carpets. The car is garaged at the moment but with the back door open to let a bit of air to circulate. I'll be out and about tomorrow as it's forecast to be sunny.

Car handles fine in the wet, but was a fairly miserable experience all the same - instead of the usual "cor, nice car mate" comments, we had "cor, look at those tw*ts"...

slogger
13-04-06, 09:20 PM
Funny that!

Nice sun shine..................The Dogs
Cold and wet....................To**er :D :D :D

Andy S
13-04-06, 09:24 PM
Robin dont wory about it mate, I drove up to Detling on Sat morning in the pi$$ing rain and my carpets and seats are fine, hell it was on the stand all day and no one noticed.

RichardG
13-04-06, 09:39 PM
Robin,

I had a car (with a roof!!) that used to get soaking carpets all the time and I found the combination of a fan heater in the foot well and dehumidifer worked a treat.

Robin427
13-04-06, 10:00 PM
Somebody tell me... when do the bills stop coming in? I thought I was home free, petrol aside, but now I need a dehumidifier, tonneau (possibly hood!!), cover (bought one from Hellfrauds but it's crap)

tonym
14-04-06, 08:26 AM
Ditto To Pauls post. Our first major jaunt was a 400 mile 7 hour round trip to Exeter in November 2004 :rolleyes: Yes you guessed it. It rained for at least 4 hours of it

That brings back memories Chris :D

westborne
18-04-06, 07:38 AM
Despite rumours (mostly from Big Tone) - got my footwell carpets soaked several times.
Nothing beats parking out in the sun !!! ( Park so the sun shines down into the footwells)

Or (as somebody has already said) - a decent de-humidifyer in the garage works wonders !!

My carpets are still stuck and no Mildew !! after 4 years .

I still havn't lived down the Chris and Tone act at Exeter !!!

Louise
18-04-06, 01:03 PM
What are carpets :confused:

:p

tonym
18-04-06, 04:33 PM
What are carpets :confused:

:p

They're those things that you girls hoover while us blokes sort out the fast cars :cool:

Louise
19-04-06, 09:49 AM
They're those things that you girls hoover while us blokes sort out the fast cars :cool:

You know what a hoover is?! I am impressed.

I guess a guys idea of 'sorting out' a fast car just involves faffing about with carpets :p

tonym
19-04-06, 11:19 AM
You know what a hoover is?! I am impressed.

I guess a guys idea of 'sorting out' a fast car just involves faffing about with carpets :p

Of course i know what a hoover is, i bought the missus one for her xmas present, see how thoughtful i am :D