PDA

View Full Version : Many oil leaks rover V8

Matt D
21-09-05, 07:45 PM
I recenltly took my cobra in to have some welding done. While it was in I asked the mechanic to look the oil leaks. He said it was leaking from just about everywhere and it was worth changing all the gaskets. This would come at a price of a days labour (not Cheap).

My problem is I want to do the job myself, but don't know how easy or hard it will be. Does the engin have to come out?. My mechanical knowledge is small to say the least, but I am very keen to learn.

Please reply if you have any Info.

Many Thanks, Matt

gareth08
21-09-05, 08:04 PM
Thats one of the downsides of an RV8. Oil leaks come as standard :p

If you need to replace every oil seal and gasket then the engine would need to be stripped down. The problem then is how far do you go.Whilst replacing gaskets etc is not that hard totally stripping an engine and re-building it does require a fair amount of ability.

Matt D
21-09-05, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I need to strip down the entire engin, but would like to stop some of the leaks (it's bad). I'm assuming I just take the relevent bits apart and replace the seal/gasket where nessasary?

gareth08
21-09-05, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I need to strip down the entire engin, but would like to stop some of the leaks (it's bad). I'm assuming I just take the relevent bits apart and replace the seal/gasket where nessasary?

Thats the general idea although beware that some parts you may need to get at will require you to strip something else first :mad:

neil still building it
21-09-05, 08:58 PM
hi
i'd be really sure and check all other options before pulling this engine apart
are you sure they're oil 'LEAKS' and not CRANKCASE BACK PRESSURE ....?
these engines really do need to 'BREATHE '...
ie plenty of ventilation in the engine crankcase /rocker cover area.......
i do mean PLENTY!!
even the standard set up is questionable -usually down to poor maintenance of the 'flame traps' (breathers) so a build up of backpressure leads to oil leaks.....either hook up a pcv (positive crankcase pressure valve)
+k&n, or a small k&n each bank of cylinders
the only engines to really justifiably suffer from oil leaks were the early rope seal equiped v8's...sd1 on should have no problems....
NEIL:rolleyes: