PDA

View Full Version : On the Road............nearly

Revets
07-10-05, 01:20 PM
Went for the SVA retest at Chelmsford in the Sumo yesterday. Took about 10 mins and passed no problem. Result no.1.

When I got home I rang the Ipswich DVLA and spoke to their inspector. Appointment made to inspect the car this morning in my office car park just over the road from the DVLA office. Result no.2.

Saw the DVLA man this morning, really nice guy who could not have been more helpful. With any luck I can pick up the tax disc this afternoon, if not it'll be in the post on Monday. Result no.3.

Only problem is that the gearbox developed a problem on the way to SVA, a horrible noise in 3rd & 5th gears, but OK in 4th.

I can tell you it feels pretty damn good, the gearbox can be sorted, and all those hours and hours spent on the build somehow seem very worthwhile.

Widest grin for miles.

Steve

Kevin W
07-10-05, 01:30 PM
Congrats, enjoy, I'm envious.
Trying to go for the final push on mine b4 xmas.

Kevin

Revets
07-10-05, 01:47 PM
Thanks Kevin,

Good luck with yours, it definitely IS worthwhile.

Steve

svc_abr
07-10-05, 01:59 PM
Well done! I have a retest at the same centre for my Hawk 289 on Wednesday 26th Oct - brake balance needed adjusting. Hope it goes as well as yours!
What did you have to change from the previous test?

Revets
07-10-05, 03:54 PM
Well done! I have a retest at the same centre for my Hawk 289 on Wednesday 26th Oct - brake balance needed adjusting. Hope it goes as well as yours!
What did you have to change from the previous test?

There were a few things;
I'd left the front of the glovebox open on the dash and the guy who was assessing the tester said that makes the glovebox a shelf. The shelf wasn't deep enough. All I did was put a temporary cover over the hole.
Rear fog light was not square to the rear, it pointing was 3 degrees to N/S. Could bend the bracket so put an angled shim between body & bracket.
There wasn't a gap between the locknut securing one of rear flexi brake pipes and the coupling securing the hard brake pipe to the flexi one. In other words the tester couldn't tell if the coupling was tightened adequately. Just put a thinner locknut on.
Speedo reading was erratic, so I changed the way the magnetic sensor is triggered, works a treat.

I've found the guys at Chelmsford are pretty good, I was a bit unfortunate first time round as the tester was being QC'd and had to do absolutely eveything by the book. Good luck on the 26th, hopefully you'll get the tester as it's unlikely he'll be QC'd again so soon!

Steve

robinj66
07-10-05, 09:57 PM
Congratulations ( I see from a later post that you have got it all sorted).

How did you change the way the speedo sensoris triggered? Mine is an ETB wheel attached to the propshaft.

Revets
07-10-05, 11:34 PM
Congratulations ( I see from a later post that you have got it all sorted).

How did you change the way the speedo sensoris triggered? Mine is an ETB wheel attached to the propshaft.

I originally had the sensor mounted on a bracket off the diff picking up on the bolts heads on the CV joint on the driveshaft (does that make sense?). It's a set up that Westfield use except their bracket is must be more rigid and not prone to vibration. It worked OK at low speeds (up & down my road) but not at 70mph as tested at SVA.

I'm now doing the same as you with the ETB wheel on the propshaft and the sensor mounted on a bracket made using the Pilgrim template. No problem.

Steve