PDA

View Full Version : Internal panels

kevchard
13-10-05, 10:20 PM
Hi
Has anyone got any pics of the internal panels to which the carpets etc glue to? I am not looking for Viper specific plans, just a rough idea of what i am up against.
I am looking at making a set of blanking panels up inside the car to cover over all the unsightly bits (such as under the dash, around the doors, door cards etc).
Also am i best of using 9mm plywood or is hardboard sufficient?
Cheers

kevchard
14-10-05, 09:47 AM
I can't believe that no-one has any wise words of wisdom!!!!!!!

Purple AK
14-10-05, 10:14 AM
Hi Kev.

4mm External Ply would be better than Hardboard which tends to warp if it gets damp. 9mm is a tad on the heavy side ;) If you want something that will take a bend, Birch Ply is the Kiddie. :thumb: Or there's always ally.

BILKO
14-10-05, 12:08 PM
THINK I USED 6MM EXTERNAL PLY, GIVES A BIT MORE FOR THE STAPLE TO HOLD ON TO. 4MM WOULD PROBABLY DO IF YOU ANGLE THE STAPLES TO STOP THEM SHOWING THOUGH THE FRONT.:thumb:

hfbradley01
16-10-05, 09:18 PM
It's disappointing that you didn't get more replies, I would have thought that one of the Viper owners would have been able to post some photo's of the internal panels for you.

If I'd have got that far with my build I would have gladly helped.

Cheers

kevchard
17-10-05, 09:24 AM
Hi Howard
I have got my brother on the case this week. I will post the pics of the way he has done it if you like.
It may take a while mind you, but at least now with the help of the people on here and my brother, we have a 'game plan'.
Cheers

hfbradley01
17-10-05, 07:59 PM
Hi Howard
I have got my brother on the case this week. I will post the pics of the way he has done it if you like.
It may take a while mind you, but at least now with the help of the people on here and my brother, we have a 'game plan'.
Cheers

Kev

If you can suplly some pics that would be great, there's no point in re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers

kevchard
17-10-05, 10:22 PM
Hi Howard
Surely the idea of owning a viper means that the wheel hasn't been invented yet. Brother has got both door panels done now, 1 of the bits that goes in under the door and he is working on the 'parcel shelf'.
We have gone for 6mm ply for most of the panels, except for hardboard which will be the 'parcel shelf' (laminated with fibreglass to give strength and shape).
Pics in next day or 3.
Ours is the corty based model, but should be more than similar.
How far are you on with yours?
Cheers

hfbradley01
18-10-05, 07:50 PM
Kev

My car is over in Market Rasen having the body and panels fitted (doors, boot etc), it's then going to be sprayed.

The interior will need doing then, so any pics and advice you can offer will be appreciated.

I'm in Flint in North Wales where are you located ?

Cheers

hfbradley01
18-10-05, 07:51 PM
Kev

Silly me, I've just noticed your location on your last post, must be my age.

Cheers

kevchard
18-10-05, 10:24 PM
Hi Howard
We will give you as much help as we can. Brother is getting on rather well with the woodwork.
At the moment the parcel shelf is soaking (trying to persuade it to go into the shape i want it to be).
Have you got anything in the way of inner wheel arches, or is it like ours with absolutely no inner front arches at all, and badly designed rear ones.
We went for pilgrim sumo door hinges as i thought they looked stronger than the dms/cobretti ones.
Keep us informed of the build and you are not alone.
Cheers

steamyrotter
18-10-05, 10:45 PM
Kev

You can look at mine (interior panels) anytime.

Just wait a few years until I get to that stage!!!
:confused:

Until then I'll plagerise (??) yours

:p

kevchard
19-10-05, 09:36 AM
Brother has said he is trying to patent the design, so as a friend i may be able to negioate a 5% discount :).
You still been banned from touching yours (car)?
Hope all is well with you and family.
Cheers

hfbradley01
20-10-05, 07:40 PM
Hi Howard
We will give you as much help as we can. Brother is getting on rather well with the woodwork.
At the moment the parcel shelf is soaking (trying to persuade it to go into the shape i want it to be).
Have you got anything in the way of inner wheel arches, or is it like ours with absolutely no inner front arches at all, and badly designed rear ones.
We went for pilgrim sumo door hinges as i thought they looked stronger than the dms/cobretti ones.
Keep us informed of the build and you are not alone.
Cheers

Kev

The front and rear wheel arches sound like i've got the the same crap bits that you've got, fortunately it's not my problem to put this jigsaw together.

The door hinges I'm going to have remade in stainless steel but i'll give you a tip, weld plates between the two hinges on each door, this will ensure that the hinges are parrallel and will make opening the door much better.

Cheers

kevchard
20-10-05, 08:19 PM
We have already done the nightmare of the hinges, pilgrim ones were to far apart, so we cut and shut them closer together. Then welded the them to a back plate.
All i can say is that you are a jammy "s@d" to get someone to do them nasty inner arches.
Pictures will follow of our progress. Managed to nearly finish parcel shelf with 2 x 12" subs.
Cheers for now.
By the way what make is your viper?

hfbradley01
20-10-05, 08:52 PM
Kev

Mine's a Cadini Viper, but I think they're all based on the same jigs and moulds.

One of my doors was an inch short (about 2.5 cm if you use metric), and none of the doors or boot or bonnet fitted properly so to be honest I was out of my depth.

Do your doors etc fit ok ?

Cheers

kevchard
20-10-05, 09:31 PM
Hi Howard
Doors did not fit, then i adapted them to suit, then i removed body and refitted, then they did not fit again so i had to readjust.
Our doors were probably close to 1" out aswel.
Front wheel arches on ours are not right either. The passenger side one one does not allow the wheel to fit in the middle of the arch, so i have had to 'modify' the fibreglass a tad.
Have you got any pics other than those in your garage?
Cheers

hfbradley01
21-10-05, 08:02 PM
Kev

I don't have many pics of the body but when this guy has put the body on i'll go to Market Rasen, take some pics and put them on here. I think it's impossible to get an even and central distance on all the wheel arches, it's a case of getting the best compromise i think.

Cheers

kevchard
21-10-05, 11:53 PM
Hi Howard
The passenger wheelarch was 40mm wrong. The wheel woul not have fited in the hole without hitting the arch at some stage.
It is suprising how much smaller the cockpit is with all the woodwork in place to cover all the metalwork and fibreglass.
Pics would be realy great.
I know steamy_rotter, ceejay and lazy_boy will benefit from them aswel.
Progress will slow next week as i am back at work, and brother is going back home :(.
Cheers for now, hope your beast looks well :).

steamyrotter
22-10-05, 12:41 AM
Hi Howard

I know steamy_rotter, ceejay and lazy_boy will benefit from them aswel.
Progress will slow next week as i am back at work, and brother is going back home :(.

and Kevin will benefit from somee manifold piccies.......

Progress not as slow as me i bet

:thumb:

hfbradley01
22-10-05, 01:20 PM
and Kevin will benefit from somee manifold piccies.......

Progress not as slow as me i bet

:thumb:

I've used underslung on my car, i've probably got some pics if you need them but I can tell you it's a very tight fit between the cylinder heads and the footwell.

Cheers

kevchard
22-10-05, 03:47 PM
Thanks Howard, and no thanks to you Dean.
Manifolds are still in Bills head, so exhausts have taken a back seat.
I emailed Motoquip over the exhaust parts, but got bugger all response.
Deep down i am holding out for Bill, but have already investested money elsewhere to get exhausts made.
Cheers for now

steamyrotter
22-10-05, 08:10 PM
I've used underslung on my car, i've probably got some pics if you need them but I can tell you it's a very tight fit between the cylinder heads and the footwell.

Cheers

Same here.

Drivers side was a blooming nightmare....

Don't even know if the body will fit over them yet!!!!!!

Sounds luvverly tho'

Mind you Kevins sounded nice on the phone. Seems a pity to spoil it with pipes.

Cheers

D.

:)

millmarsh
04-12-05, 01:59 PM
Hi

Not sure if you managed to find the pictures you were looking for?? but I have a viper body surplus to requirements (currently for sale on ebay and this forum) I have inner panels and photos of them if you check to see if the body is the same as yours I can send photos if they are any use to you

Hope this helps

Mark

steamyrotter
04-12-05, 06:46 PM
Hi

Not sure if you managed to find the pictures you were looking for?? but I have a viper body surplus to requirements (currently for sale on ebay and this forum) I have inner panels and photos of them if you check to see if the body is the same as yours I can send photos if they are any use to you

Hope this helps

Mark

Could be worth a view and a few photos.

Where abouts are you in Somerset??

Cheers

Dean.

kevchard
04-12-05, 06:52 PM
Thanks Mark
I have made most of the internal panels/door cards etc now.
The difficult such as inner arches i have made from scratch, so however tempting a new bodyshell would be, i do not want to go through all that hassle again.
What sort of Viper was yours eg cortina, jag etc and what happened to the rest of the car?
Good luck with selling your bodyshell, looks a darn sight better than ours.
Cheers
PS Your missus wouldn't let you buy another shell would she Dean?

millmarsh
04-12-05, 09:43 PM
Hi

Bought mine as a part built kit - a bit of a heinze 57 Pilgrim chassis and viper body!!

I have started from stratch again with a new chassis, body and taken the bits from the kit I need so I now have the old body and chassis surplus to requirements hence they are now for sale.

PS. I'm in Shepton Mallet Area

Cheers Mark:)