PDA

View Full Version : RV8 inlet gasket sealing?

jools
25-10-05, 08:43 PM
Hi, I am just about to renew the inlet gasket & rubber end seals on my rv8 to get rid of oil leaks. I intend using blue hylomar on the composite gasket. Has anyone got suggestions for sealing the rubber end seals. I have seen references to using silicone but it was not clear what type. The Haynes manual says silicone grease but I have tried 3 outlets & they are unsure what I am talking about. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Miket
25-10-05, 09:43 PM
Hi, I am just about to renew the inlet gasket & rubber end seals on my rv8 to get rid of oil leaks. I intend using blue hylomar on the composite gasket. Has anyone got suggestions for sealing the rubber end seals. I have seen references to using silicone but it was not clear what type. The Haynes manual says silicone grease but I have tried 3 outlets & they are unsure what I am talking about. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jools

The Blue Hylomar you mention will also do for sealing the rubber ends.

Blue Hylomar is also know as Blue RTV silicone sealant. :thumb: :thumb:

GASKETING
HYLOMAR RTV silicone sealants can be used to produce FIP (Form In Place) gaskets either by robotic equipment, cartridge gun or direct from a syringe. Use Hylomar RTV silicone products to produce high quality gasketing solutions, improve sealing performance over conventional gaskets and reduce costs.

TINKA
25-10-05, 10:11 PM
I believe that Rover have modified and improved the rubber valley seals and the metal clamps now. Russell swears by them as they help stop leaks very successfully so I believe. Worth a call to your local Land Rover dealer. :thumb:

fcukruss
26-10-05, 12:04 AM
personally speaking from experience,i wouldnt touch silicone rtv with a bargepole now.

i did my sump and valley gaskets with this stuff,lasted about 300 miles-crap!!!!!

in the end,i had to do the whole job again and i used a vauxhall product,they use it for gasketless sump joint,its grey in colour and come in a tube which you need a sealer gun to apply,ill try and see if i still a tube and get the name/part number,but do yourself a favour and dont use silicone rtv unless you want to do it all again soon.

russ

mylesdw
26-10-05, 12:25 AM
Blue Hylomar is also know as Blue RTV silicone sealant. :thumb: :thumb:

Are you sure? The Blue Hylomar I have used is nothing like a silicon sealant. The stuff I have is a non-hardening gasket compound. It does not set like silicone, nor does it look or smell like it. You would use it to coat a paper gasket such as a thermostat gasket but not for a sump or a valley where there are voids to be filled and you want the benefit of extra adhesion.