PDA

View Full Version : Registering Car & Receipts

RigMan
02-04-01, 07:55 AM
I have been studying the paperwork for registering the vehicle once it has been SVA'd with the relevant DVLA office. In order to avoid the Q plate, receipts/log book are required to show that the vehicle has a determinate origin. I am a little 'light' on receipts due to my preference for 'dealing in cash'. Will receipts supplied for just the chassis, body and steering assembly along with the log book be adequate? Let me know your experiences/knowledge!

RIG.

robert
02-04-01, 08:25 PM
Rigman

It sounds as if you are doing the same thing as I did, as long as you score the necessay number of points on the form from the "donor" you shouldn't get a Q plate. You will have to ensure that you stress to the examiner that all the parts came from the same car. It also depends on how he is feeling.

Robert
Cobra Club Web Bloke with a Supercharged GD!

paul
02-04-01, 08:50 PM
Hi there I was in the same situation when I built my Dax to the point of having so many new parts I should have been able to get a new car reg,but like you I also used cash in a lot of cases which left me with bills for body / chassis /new engine&box not enough points to avoid a Q plate.So I went to my local breakers and bought a donor car/logbook (with receipt) and registered it in my name that way I could prove origin of the parts such as front axles. rear axle. suspension F/R you can even get one point for the propshaft (well part of it was Jag,) the main thing with having to have the car inspected is to prove origin so if you have bills for the body / chassis and maybe the engine you will definitely have enough points
good luck
Paul

RigMan
03-04-01, 07:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response. What i did was to buy the Jag bits from a breaker's yard, along with the log book, register it in my name and put a Chevy engine in it. This I then used as the donor. I cannot show receipts for the engine but I can for the new tremec. As stated before, I have receipts for the Chassis/body, so hopefully this will do. Are the inspectors sympathetic or are they sceptics!

Rig.

robert
03-04-01, 09:51 AM
They are normally very sympathetic, as they know you have spent a lot of time and money on the car and don't really want a Q plate, just depends on the day.

Robert
Cobra Club Web Bloke with a Supercharged GD!

imported_admin
03-04-01, 05:37 PM
I had a dax chassis & body bought 2nd hand, for which I had a sparse hand written sales receipt from the sellor, Plus the original dax sales note.

I had a jag v5, plus all jag suspension bits, again from a private vendor, again with a sparse handwritten receipt the body was previously scrapped , without the v5 though
on the registration docs, I put the suspension & axles as the 2 major components required from the donor to get an age related plate. I used a chevy block,noting the source as private sale, again I had a hand written receipt, a getrag box, again with a hand written receipt,with the source as private sale, and steering noted as new, supplied by dax, this time with a full receipt from dax.I didnt register the chevy in the jag,
I took all this to the local office, after I got my MAC, who asked no questions, and issued me with an age related plate which I collected the next day!

I don't know if I was lucky, but getting through SVA, ang getting the car registered was simple, the SVA took an hour, the chap was more interested in chatting in general about cars - very friendly, helped me recalibrate the speedo on their rolling road, ignored the front indicators being too low, and even found some grommets to put on the front brake pipes in case they touched anything.
they even had a new enclosed building specifically for SVA tests - didn't think there were enough done to warrant that! SVA station was Shrewsbury if anyones interested - they even provided tea & coffee

Getting the car registered was even simpler - took the docs along to the local office, who called back later the same day and said they gave me an age related plate, which I should collect the next day if I wanted. Couldn't have been simpler.

graham
03-04-01, 09:47 PM
From the registration point of view, on the last 8 times of registering a kit we have had no problems on the day when they visited us, (except for BRA289) though I cant comment on SvA test until my first one later this year. Sounds like we're all off to Shrewsbury for afternoon tea and cake, how lovely!! Oh Steve how d'ya do it mate?

RigMan
04-04-01, 08:11 AM
Way to go steve.......lets have some more SVA experiences then people, share with us the terrors of SVA. Meet you in Shrewsbury Bob!

Rig.

imported_admin
05-04-01, 12:02 PM
>From the registration point of view, on the last 8 times of
>registering a kit we have had no problems on the day when they visited
>us, (except for BRA289) though I cant comment on SvA test until my
>first one later this year. Sounds like we're all off to Shrewsbury for
>afternoon tea and cake, how lovely!! Oh Steve how d'ya do it mate?

normally in a pint glass in a quiet real ale pub in ironbridge - but on a serious note, I didn't seem to have any of the "hassle" I hear some others have had with SVA (& I heard rumours it was a "soft" station with regard to the pedantic parts of the test)so it was a good choice, as well as being only 10 mins from the house.

so if anyone wants to go there, and stop off on the way you're welcome