PDA

View Full Version : What will they think of next

Miket
06-11-05, 09:11 PM
Homeowners who have a nice view or live next to a golf course could pay more in council tax as part of a revaluation of properties, it has been reported.
Higher taxes could be introduced after a revaluation of council tax on each property in England, which will take into account increases or decreases in property values since the last valuation in 1991.
The proposed taxes will apply to homes if they are in conservation areas, next to an open space, have a swimming pool or tennis court or have full or partial views of the sea, hills, mountains, lakes or rivers, according to the Sunday Express and Sunday Telegraph.

john w
06-11-05, 09:23 PM
Dont worry they have plenty of idiots in the treasury thinking up these type of idea's all the time, simple if it comes in dont pay it.

Purple AK
06-11-05, 09:32 PM
Pound to a Pinch of S**T (Salt) :D They won't Devalue Properties that have lost their Views of wide Open Countryside since 1991 :rolleyes:

dave.n
06-11-05, 10:47 PM
Chris
By the way at the council meeting on thurs we managed to squash the proposed block of flats at the bottom of my garden.
On something relating to "density of population per hecter" (can't even spell it as it ain't on my ruler) I don't know how they measure this but it was too high and should not have got this far anyway.(someone must have thought it my have been conveniently not mentioned). Apparently the work was going to start before the end of nov even though the builder did not yet have planning permission.
Anyone shed any light on how these things work?
Mike I hope you don't live on the seaside then.

mikey
07-11-05, 07:07 AM
Dont know about your case - its very much down to the local authority. What they were probably relating to is PPG3 2000 which gives density of build mainly related to brownfield sites. The average desired desity is around 55 although I have argued 70 per hectare in a number of cases.
You find most planning application that involve objection are affected by the local councilors who are actually only bothered by votes. The good thing about this is the government is aware that much is about attracting votes as opposed to what is deemed as good development.
We have appealed on a number of occasions to the secretary of State on those schemes where we feel refusal is based on councillor influence with little planning grounds. To date we are successful in getting around 70% turned around on appeal. Its often not difficul as much of the time they argue density, massing or appearance. Its fairly easy to quash their arguments as much of the time they should have stuck to politics.
To cut a long story short, if it went that far in your case, it is likely that planners supported the application which meant it was probably in line with the unitary development plan. If it was changed around at the commitee it will have been a political decision. If it was based on density and the scheme is not really over dense ie parking and reasonable amenity space can be achieved you may find the developers may appeal or revise their scheme to a less dense development.
Sorry to say, but in most cases I've not found a problem in appealing applications refused on density where the reality is the decision was more about politics.
However for a fellow member I hope you win.
Dont know whether I explained the situation well enough
Mike;)

Purple AK
07-11-05, 07:33 AM
Dave.
Our objections to the building next to us were carried 100% at the Parish Planning Meeting as there was outrage in the Village. However it Sneaked through the District Planners 2 weeks later while everyone's backs were turned. Beware! :o

mikey
07-11-05, 07:41 AM
I think this will happen more and more. The government is trying to address the need for housing - particularly affordable housing. The re-mit to local authorities is to achieve their requirements and often that means reasonably dense schemes. It has been recognised that many parish councils are making their considertions on political or passionate grounds, not planning grounds quite often - I'm sorry that you suffered in your village, but the reality is that quite often the consideration is one of comfort zones and desire for views or open space etc. I dont say that is wrong, but in planning terms there is no prescribed right.
Mike

Purple AK
07-11-05, 08:04 AM
Mike Agreed. There is a need for lower cost housing, especially in villages where the local kids don't stand a chance of staying put. The building I was refering to was in fact a "Home for 6 Children with Severe Learning Difficulties" Easily the Biggest Building in the Village and Totally out of place, And built on what was supposed to be a Green Fields Site. There are NO facilities in the Villlage for these kids, Or indeed at the Home, and they have to be transported miles to them. It was built on the whim of the landowner for the son of a friend. It would appear in this case that if you have enough money and clout. Anything is possible. And Darn the wishes of the Locals.

Purple AK
07-11-05, 08:09 AM
Latest Update.
It would seem in the paper today that they plan to tax anyone with a Conservatory, Patio or Greenhouse :o That just about covers everyone :rolleyes: :mad:

Robin427
07-11-05, 09:01 AM
I've got a huge manor house surrounded by private parkland, so can't imagine what your problems are like...

... I wish...

Neil O
07-11-05, 09:09 AM
We're fortunate enough to only look out over our own land. :D

Why should I pay even more in Council Tax for the privilage when I paid for it in the first place?! :angry:

Maybe what I should do is park a load of scrap cars in my fields, then apply for a reduction in my Council Tax...............:rolleyes:

Oh no, know you've got me started. :angry:

Cheers,
Neil

chesterak
07-11-05, 09:24 AM
Parish Councils are not supposed to be political but they often are. I used to be a Parish and City councillor and would vote based on my peception of local need or where representations were made by local residents. I quit after four years as I was increasingly being forced to toe the party line. I found the local authority planners helpful, but, if they condidered there was a possibility of success on appeal of refusal, they would more than likely grant permission. Its all down to costs and appeals cost a lot of money.

Miket
07-11-05, 09:26 AM
Maybe what I should do is park a load of scrap cars in my fields, then apply for a reduction in my Council Tax...............:rolleyes:
I thought you had allready started with the Dax. :finger: :finger: :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

Neil O
07-11-05, 11:43 AM
I thought you had allready started with the Dax. :finger: :finger: :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

Meow ! Bitch ! :-(

Can you make sure you bring your daughter along to all the meets......I like her :p

Cheers,
Neil

Miket
07-11-05, 11:49 AM
Can you make sure you bring your daughter along to all the meets......I like her :p
I wondered why you never moved from the table you where sat at yesterday. ;) ;) ;)

tonym
07-11-05, 01:50 PM
I wondered why you never moved from the table you where sat at yesterday. ;) ;) ;)

probably to embarrassed to stand up :thumb:

Neil O
07-11-05, 01:53 PM
probably to embarrassed to stand up :thumb:

Correct :D

Cheers,
Neil

dave.n
07-11-05, 03:32 PM
Thank you all for your infomation it has made interesting stuff.
This particular application is the second as the first was turned down just upon local objection and size.
This second application seemed to have got further along in the procedings until density count was brought up (it was said with anoyance by the counciler that it should never have got this far and all's time was wasted).
The builder slipped in that they were going to knock down a small building which lay's on the land at present and put hording around the site within the next three weeks. However if he has no planning permission why should he do this apart from being pretty sure he could achieve permission.
This brought angry protest at the meeting and he said his company would not do this.
Once again thanks to all and I'll get off the soapbox now as it could end up like some other threads and I promise you all I'll not carry on.
Good luck wherever you live and remember unless the land is owned outrite by yourself anything can happen especially if you live in spain.

snakebite
09-11-05, 12:36 PM
Correct :D

Cheers,
Neil

Wonder if Karen reads is posts - blackmail :-}

Neil O
09-11-05, 02:33 PM
Wonder if Karen reads is posts - blackmail :-}

Steve,
I'm not worried, the reason I was too embarassed to stand up is perfectly innocent.............I'd spilt gravy in my lap! :angel:

Cheers,
Neil. :D

plod
09-11-05, 03:08 PM
I shouldn't worry Mike. Yr place about to be turned into a car park isn't it? :D

tonym
09-11-05, 09:30 PM
Steve,
I'm not worried, the reason I was too embarassed to stand up is perfectly innocent.............I'd spilt gravy in my lap! :angel:

Cheers,

Baby gravy??????:-}

Neil O
10-11-05, 10:13 AM
Baby gravy??????:-}

Shhhhh........the wife's listening................:thumb:

Cheers,
Neil

snakebite
10-11-05, 12:05 PM
Steve,

Cheers,

What! you only had a sandwhich and a bag of crisps, anyway according to Karen nobody would have noticed anyway :finger:

P.s How's Karen and your motor