PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think i stand??

Ricky
13-11-05, 04:57 PM
hi, as some of you know i have just passed my driving test! before that i bought my self a Fiat bravo W reg 48k full service history etc from a garage in bromham, they were asking 1795 for the car, but i noticed that two tyers needed changing and the windscreen was scratched, so we agreed on a price of 1600, i took the car home and it sat on my drive until by birthday (12th october)

I started to learn to drive in it, and after a few days of driving i noticed it was missing under load, and would burn off oil when i first started it and that the air con wasnt working, anyway this problem got worse and worse and now it smokes up my whole street when i drive off:mad: when replaced the front tyers and fixed a few other problems i noticed( rear brake light, snapped off wheel stud in the hub etc) the garage told me that my brake disk had a run off of about 2mm!!! and that my pads were illegal.

We phoned the garage and they said no sorry you bought the car sold as seen etc you have to fix it yourself. we later rang up Trading Standerd and they said that i have upto 3 months to Reject the car, and told us to write a letter to them via recorded delivery. They then wrote back and said that they were willing to put 150 towards the repair of the car, we sent another letter saying no this is not good enough etc.

we didnt hear anything for a while and then they wanted to see the car, so i drove it up to them and left it there for a few days and made me a new offer of 200, i said no and wanted a new car, money back or for you to fix the car, he said no AGAIN so i said well we will see you in court then, he said fine. And on the way back my brake pads fell out, they obviously took the brakes apart and didnt put the pins in corretly:mad:

the car was also sold with a full 12 month mot, which i think may be a bit questionable, considering the faults( big scratch in windscreen and illegal brakes!)

sorry about the long post but im just woundering what you guys think of the situation and where you think i stand when we go to court!!

robert
13-11-05, 05:23 PM
Rick

Take the car to a reputable garage and get an engineers report, you will need this when it goes to court anyway. Then speak to Trading standards about the state of the car, and also speak to the VOSA about the MOT and the issues with it.

You do have the right to refuse the vehicle, however if they will not either make good or give you a refund, then you will have to take it through the court.

Give me a bell at home.

robert
13-11-05, 05:25 PM
What if I think it has wrongly passed?

These cases usually relate to recently purchased vehicles and you should let VOSA know as soon as possible. VOSA will then offer an appointment within 5 working days to recheck your vehicle without charge, provided:

not more than 28 days have elapsed since the MOT test
not more than three months have elapsed since the MOT test for a rust or corrosion related problem

What action can I take against the garage?

VOSA cannot request compensation on your behalf - you can however take action in conjunction with your local trading standards department, take out proceedings personally or refer the matter to the police.
Any subsequent action VOSA decide to take against the garage that tested your vehicle is done at their discretion, and should have no bearing on any action you may decide to take.

Contacting VOSA

The address of the local VOSA office is displayed in MOT testing stations or can be obtained from our general enquiry unit on 0845 600 5977 (local rate) or 0870 606 0440 (national rate).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/MotArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4022113&chk=i1%2BskO

moego
13-11-05, 05:32 PM
Rick

Take the car to a reputable garage and get an engineers report, you will need this when it goes to court anyway. Then speak to Trading standards about the state of the car, and also speak to the VOSA about the MOT and the issues with it.

You do have the right to refuse the vehicle, however if they will not either make good or give you a refund, then you will have to take it through the court.

Give me a bell at home.

If you have the MOT certificate you will also have the name of the person garage, who passed it. It happened to me when I was younger dont let them get away with it:mad: :thumb:

Purple AK
13-11-05, 05:35 PM
Ditto to Robs post (He types faster than me) :o http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/vosalocations/trafficareaoffices.htm

Ricky
13-11-05, 05:57 PM
its alright guys, just spoke to unci rob and he said he is going to sort it for me:D :D :thumb: thanks rob

moego
13-11-05, 06:02 PM
its alright guys, just spoke to unci rob and he said he is going to sort it for me:D :D :thumb: thanks rob

GOOD ON YER ROB I WISH I HAD HAD AN UNCI LIKE YOU:)

Purple AK
13-11-05, 06:16 PM
Ricky.
Slightly off topic but, In the unlikely event that you actually keep the car. Get someone to check the metal brake pipes, Especially around any tight bends. They are coated steel on Fiats, and I have seen several instances where they have rusted under the coating and failed after only 3-4 years! :mad: Something that has just come to mind ;)

Ricky
13-11-05, 06:37 PM
Ricky.
Slightly off topic but, In the unlikely event that you actually keep the car. Get someone to check the metal brake pipes, Especially around any tight bends. They are coated steel on Fiats, and I have seen several instances where they have rusted under the coating and failed after only 3-4 years! :mad: Something that has just come to mind ;)
will get it checked out tomo when i take it down the garage to get my exhaust welded back on,just thought i would take a trip to my local shops to get some food and on the way back a very loud bravo :mad:

thanks

wilf
13-11-05, 06:39 PM
Ricky - notwithstanding all of the above, I have a couple of questions:

1: if a brake disc had 2 whole mm of run out, could you not feel it on a test drive? I have just changed some that had 0.5mm run out and I thought they were bad enough - pedal pulsed like crazy.

2: Who went with you to check this car out when you bought it? From the list of faults you give, someone knowledgeable about cars should have picked up one or two of them at the time? (e.g. windscreen scratches and bad tyres?).

Life is full of learning experiences - now you know that the market for cars costing 2 to 3 k is easy, and some real rough stuff gets passed off in that price bracket. If a dealer charges you £1500, bet that he bought it at auction for a third of that. That is the way it goes.

Best advice I can give - know your values (some friend must have access to Glass's?), buy privately, not from a dealer, and have a good friend who knows his stuff (not just how to wire up a neon light or fit a big bore rear box, either) look at the car before you shell out hard earned spondulicks.

Luck in getting this one sorted.

Oh - someone else posted this, may help:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/cars.htm

Ricky
13-11-05, 06:47 PM
Ricky - notwithstanding all of the above, I have a couple of questions:

1: if a brake disc had 2 whole mm of run out, could you not feel it on a test drive? I have just changed some that had 0.5mm run out and I thought they were bad enough - pedal pulsed like crazy.

2: Who went with you to check this car out when you bought it? From the list of faults you give, someone knowledgeable about cars should have picked up one or two of them at the time? (e.g. windscreen scratches and bad tyres?).

Life is full of learning experiences - now you know that the market for cars costing 2 to 3 k is easy, and some real rough stuff gets passed off in that price bracket. If a dealer charges you 1500, bet that he bought it at auction for a third of that. That is the way it goes.

Best advice I can give - know your values (some friend must have access to Glass's?), buy privately, not from a dealer, and have a good friend who knows his stuff (not just how to wire up a neon light or fit a big bore rear box, either) look at the car before you shell out hard earned spondulicks.

Luck in getting this one sorted.

really? normaly 0.5 -0.8 run off is ok. but you can only feel the pulse when braking from a high speed:D couldnt feel on test drive as the garage is in a little village, didnt manage to get it up to speed, i took my dad along to look at the car with me, he has no idea how a car works and has no intrest in them, i wanted to spend alot more than 1600 on a car but i have to do as he says, and remember dads are always right!!
i noticed the windscreen and the tyers, i know i should have inspected the car alot more but my dad is a very busy man and only had 10 mins to look.:mad: next time ill take rob!:D

thanks ricky

mikey
14-11-05, 07:19 AM
Wilfs right 2mm run off is extremely serious, to get that level of warp sounds incredible - you sure its not accross the disk (half the figure).

Anyway look at 2mm on a ruler and imagine a disk rotating at 70 mph and then braking.

Hope you get it all sorted amicably
Mike

Ricky
14-11-05, 04:42 PM
Wilfs right 2mm run off is extremely serious, to get that level of warp sounds incredible - you sure its not accross the disk (half the figure).

Anyway look at 2mm on a ruler and imagine a disk rotating at 70 mph and then braking.

Hope you get it all sorted amicably
Mike

i measured it at college, and the greatest run off reading i got was 1.8 mm ( i think)

but yes when you brake from any speed you can feel it!!:angry:

Dutch Paul
14-11-05, 04:50 PM
i measured it at college, and the greatest run off reading i got was 1.8 mm ( i think)

but yes when you brake from any speed you can feel it!!:angry:

When brake discs warp, they don`t normal run as far out as that (you would feel 0.1mm run-out on the steering wheel/pedal under relatively normal braking)
It may be worth checking there isn`t any sh#t trapped between the disc and the hub where it mounts together.

Ricky
14-11-05, 05:02 PM
sorry your are correct, the dtm guage reads to .0 of a mm so they are out by .2 of a mm:o thanks

mylesdw
14-11-05, 06:14 PM
Shame you did not have time to inspect the car more. If you had looked carefully you would have found a small badge (usually near the back) with the word "Fiat" on it. This is Italian and translates roughly to "not cheap at any price"

Ricky
14-11-05, 06:18 PM
Shame you did not have time to inspect the car more. If you had looked carefully you would have found a small badge (usually near the back) with the word "Fiat" on it. This is Italian and translates roughly to "not cheap at any price"

Thanks MATE........:mad: :mad:

mylesdw
14-11-05, 07:09 PM
Thanks MATE........:mad: :mad:

If it's any consolation, one of our cars has Ford written on the back and whoever said that it means Fix Or Repair Daily was NOT KIDDING. What a heap of crap!

Purple AK
14-11-05, 07:19 PM
Myles.
Sorry if I offend :o But do you ever have anything Positive to say? :mad:

mylesdw
14-11-05, 07:23 PM
Myles.
Sorry if I offend :o But do you ever have anything Positive to say? :mad:

No offense taken! 'tis true I am terrible cynic. Aways have been and it's getting worse as I get older...

Purple AK
14-11-05, 07:26 PM
No offense taken! 'tis true I am terrible cynic. Aways have been and it's getting worse as I get older...
As you've played the "Older" card, Your forgiven :D

mylesdw
14-11-05, 07:34 PM
As you've played the "Older" card, Your forgiven :D

Now THAT made me laugh, thanks for that. I was feeling particularly grumpy this morning because I had just learned that my Ford is about is receive its THIRD gearbox at only 110k miles. Not really very good added to the long list of other expensive items fitted this last year.

Purple AK
14-11-05, 07:44 PM
As i've never owned a Tin Top newer than 1989 :o I guess i'm used to things going wrong ;) I just go down the scappy and pay £25-£50 and it's sorted :D
Have a better Rest of the Day :thumb:

Ricky
14-11-05, 08:11 PM
As i've never owner a Tin Top newer than 1989 :o I guess i'm used to things going wrong ;) I just go down the scappy and pay 25-50 and it's sorted :D
Have a better Rest of the Day :thumb:

annnnnnny way back on topic:finger: :D does anyone live in newcastle upon tyne?? ne12 6dw:confused:

regards rick

Dutch Paul
14-11-05, 09:22 PM
annnnnnny way back on topic:finger: :D does anyone live in newcastle upon tyne?? ne12 6dw:confused:

regards rick

Probably :D :D :D

Ricky
14-11-05, 09:30 PM
Probably :D :D :D

are paul... so helpful:finger: :finger: :finger: :D :D

regards rick

Miket
14-11-05, 09:32 PM
are paul... so helpful:finger: :finger: :finger: :D :D

regards rick
Ricky

Check your PM's :thumb:

Ricky
14-11-05, 09:46 PM
Ricky

Check your PM's :thumb:

i have no pm from u mike, sure you sent it?

Miket
14-11-05, 09:55 PM
i have no pm from u mike, sure you sent it?
Yes, only want your address to send back the disc. :thumb:

Ricky
14-11-05, 09:57 PM
Yes, only want your address to send back the disc. :thumb:

still no pm.... old people and techno... tutu :D :D ill pm you it:thumb:

Miket
14-11-05, 09:59 PM
still no pm.... old people and techno... tutu :D :D ill pm you it:thumb:
I didn't send another, as I told you what I wanted here. ;) :D :thumb:

Ricky
14-11-05, 10:01 PM
I didn't send another, as I told you what I wanted here. ;) :D :thumb:

check your pm:thumb:

Miket
14-11-05, 10:06 PM
check your pm:thumb:
And yours :thumb: :thumb:;) :thumb: :thumb:*****

mikey
15-11-05, 07:03 AM
Can I have some of that stuff you guys are smoking please
Mike

pat b
15-11-05, 09:38 AM

regards rickRing me and will see if i can get any off my lodgers to pop round when they go home at the weekend or i will send some of Gary's men round.... (will get them to take THE BALL with them if needed)OK. PAT:thumb::thumb::thumb: