PDA

View Full Version : RAM S/C Steering Rack

ramcobra123
15-11-05, 07:36 PM
Can anyone advise me as to what the steering rack is on a Ram S/C? I have rebuilt most of the car, but the build manual is not very clear as to what the steering rack is from. My car was originally built in 1988 if that gives you any idea as to what was used then.

Many thanks for your help in advance

Ian

neil still building it
15-11-05, 07:57 PM
hi ian
you should find this is an MGB rack
cheers
neil

ramcobra123
15-11-05, 08:08 PM
Hi Neil,
Thank you for the prompt reply to my dilema. I have ordered two racks and both are too long, I know there are two types available for the MGB range. I'm stumped on this. Are the track rod ends Jaguar? Or are they MGB?

Thanks again for your help on this.

Ian :thumb:

neil still building it
15-11-05, 08:18 PM
hi
you'll find that ram modified the rack input shaft is this what you mean? also there are mods to the rack track ends to enable them to use certain track rod ends....ring any bells ,which bit's the problem?
cheers
neil

ramcobra123
15-11-05, 08:22 PM
Hello again,
My problem is the input shaft, it's way too long and I've got the shorter rack. What did L+R (Realm) do to the input shaft? There is no mention of this mod, although I have the steering adaptors on my rack for the track rod ends (whatever make they are).

Cheers

Ian

neil still building it
15-11-05, 10:05 PM
hi ian
i think from memory they shortened* the input shafts (to enable a joint to be used) to go round the engine block.
i changed this on mine for a capri rubber joint to give a bit of shock absorbtion in the steering -less kick through the steering wheel....a common 'fault' i believed..?
(* ram removed the shafts then shortened them and reassembled)....(not always correctly!!??-mine was brand new and came back very much stiffer than the one that i gave them for exchange!!)
cheers
NEIL
you should be able to remove the input shaft yourself and swap it with the shims to the correct amount of 'play' to the right 'spec'

mylesdw
15-11-05, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty sure they are MGB track rod ends. The track rods are modified by cutting 0.75" off each and then screwing on the adapters.

As mentioned above, the input shaft is shortened.

My understanding is that there are two MGB racks available, the only difference is the ratio. Early cars have 2.75 turns lock to lock, later rubber models have 3.xx lock to lock. Given the choice I would definitely go for the later, lower ratio rack. The one I have is heavy and twitchy. Furthermore, on my set-up the wheels contact the inner arches on full lock so I have just fitted steering stops giving 2 turns lock to lock.

ramcobra123
19-11-05, 09:19 AM
Many thanks to you all for filling in the blanks regarding this rack. Myles' info certainly clears up why the later one was recommended by L&R/Realm. You are all correct on the rack origin and what is needed to be adjusted on the input shaft, Adrian Cocking confirmed the shortening and resplining of the shaft as the required mod.

Once again this forum has helped, as have Simon and Neil for their additional help in my dilema. Thank you for your help.

Ian
:thumb:

neil still building it
19-11-05, 09:02 PM
hi ian
you could always go your 'own way' re: some of these mods done to the rack especially in view of the availability of these 'new fangled electric columns' now available aka dax's
controllable power system....plenty of astra,punto,mgtf s etc about to rob the columns from via ebay...............
just a thought??
neil

ramcobra123
19-11-05, 11:24 PM
Neil,
You are creative to the end. I hadn't thought of this option. It is all apart now, so I'll give it some consideration. To be honest, I want to get the car back on the road, as it should be and enjoy it all year round!!!!!!!

Thanks again

Ian

neil still building it
21-11-05, 08:00 AM
hi ian
don't forget to fit the shims to give the correct 'float'
are you able to fit your 'old' shaft into the other columns ?
i thought you might have trouble with the different gear ratios within the racks.......
good luck though
neil

ramcobra123
21-11-05, 07:43 PM
Hi Neil,

Thank you for the additional inforomation. I've looked at the shafts and the ratios are different, so either I change the gears or turn down a joint between the two shafts and weld them together. In any event, I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Cheers

Ian

Antony
22-11-05, 07:24 PM
The rack now used is a Cortina 2.8 turn unit, not sure what model, Mk5 or if they made a Mk6, I think Mk5's here in NZ but the pinion is on the other side of the rack mounting boss!

Dave Williams
26-11-05, 09:06 PM
I've got a standard MGB rack on mine - I got it directly from the MGB club - it doesnt have a shortened input shaft..???? Mines' got the extenders on the track rod ends tho...

ramcobra123
27-11-05, 11:39 AM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the input (no pun intended). I suspect your rack does not have the TR7 connecting link, if it does then it must have been shortened. I received an email from Adrian Cocking who told me that he shortened the input shaft to allow for this link to be used and this is visible in the construction manual. I've shortened mine, as per Adrian's guidance and that of Neil's advice.

I can now tick off my list of things to do, the steering assembly, other then re-tracking the car.

Another step closer to getting back onto the road.

Cheers

Ian

Dave Williams
27-11-05, 07:49 PM
mmm.. I know for definite I have the TR7 part - this is weird - I have no recollection of having the rack input shaft shortened - 'll ahve to check - mind you it was about 15 years ago I built the thing...

btw: where is Adrian Cocking these days - I gave him a right headache when I was making my kit - I only lived down the road from the factory and it was sooo (tooo) easy to pop in and ask questions (aka give him grief!) :angel: :D

mylesdw
27-11-05, 07:57 PM
mmm.. I know for definite I have the TR7 part - this is weird - I have no recollection of having the rack input shaft shortened - 'll ahve to check - mind you it was about 15 years ago I built the thing...

btw: where is Adrian Cocking these days - I gave him a right headache when I was making my kit - I only lived down the road from the factory and it was sooo (tooo) easy to pop in and ask questions (aka give him grief!) :angel: :D

Here is a piccy of the shortened version if that is any help? Adrian is (at) www.realengineering.com (http://www.realengineering.com)

ramcobra123
27-11-05, 08:25 PM
As Myles says, Adrian is at Realm Engineering. The telephone is usually on answerphone, so use the email (he eventually writes back-sometimes).

Ian

Miket
27-11-05, 10:42 PM
Here is a piccy of the shortened version if that is any help? Adrian is (at) www.realengineering.com (http://www.realengineering.com)

Try this one

http://www.realmengineering.com/