PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hub problems

rlagden
22-11-05, 06:01 PM
Guys,

I'm well into refurbing the Jag running gear and the just finished first coat of hammerite and its looking good.......One, well two problems...

The first is that the off side rear half shaft just will not come out. I got a universal hub extrator and nothing. In fact it has damaged the thread where the split pin goes.

Second, how do I get the bushes and bearings out of the hub, which hold the outer wishbone? Any help would be great

http://autos.ninebean.com/cobraclub/crc_images/4217.jpg

TINKA
22-11-05, 06:06 PM
As far as removing the half shaft goes you will have to apply heat as the shaft was originally fitted with locktite and you will need to break this down with heat:( . sorry cant help you with the other:confused:

rlagden
22-11-05, 06:43 PM
Cool...........Thanks for the help......appreciate.... mst admit forgot that it would have that stuff on it..... The other flew out so must have been refurbed irself some time ago

grahamf
22-11-05, 08:01 PM
I used a long extension to gently tap the bearings out of the casting. If you stick your finger in the hole you should be able to feel a couple of keyways in the casting - I used the 1/2" square end in these. New bearings will drift in with a suitably sized socket too.

Graham

rlagden
22-11-05, 08:31 PM
Lovely...........Will try tomorrow cheers

TonyD
22-11-05, 11:29 PM
Use the heat method and also use a sacrificial spark plug socket over the top of the shaft threads, which you then belt as hard as possible. The sacrificial sockets sits on the base of the threaded section (once you've removed the washer under the castellated nut) and it does get very distorted when giving it some welly with the largest of persuaders!!

If that doesnt work its probably best to get a different hub.

The threads should clean up with a junior hacksaw and small files.......

Cheers,

Tony:thumb:

Purple AK
23-11-05, 08:47 AM
Another point worthy of note when refurbing Jag rear hubs. Is to carefully check the carrier casting for cracks. Apparently they are renowned for cracking, and have been known to "let go" with disasterous results. A crack found before you start could save you a lot of time and money ;)

rlagden
23-11-05, 02:08 PM
Guys....

Once again thanks very much for the insight.........I will be giving it some "welly" tonight...

Its great to see the pile of rust and metal starting to turn into something that resembles a car component HAHAHAH