PDA

View Full Version : An interesting puzzle

mylesdw
06-12-05, 06:02 PM
Here is an interesting puzzle that is in a tourist attraction down near Lake Wanaka. I can't solve it but wondered if any of you clever types have any ideas. The text that goes with it states:

"Clues - it cannot be made with paper. This sheet has not been thickened, thinned or sliced, cut apart or welded. It was never a cylinder, sphere or folded in half."

kevchard
06-12-05, 06:42 PM
have you missed something off? what is the mystery? or am i thick?

Grease Monkey
06-12-05, 06:46 PM
I guess the key here is 'it can't be made from paper'.

That would imply that whatever property of this object that makes it (apparently) impossible is down to it being made of metal.

Anything else and you'd be able to duplicate it with a sheet of paper.

Andy S
06-12-05, 06:46 PM
come on Kevin put that brain cell into active mode....
only joking mate.
look at the outer edge then look at the 2 inner pieces
outer edge is one piece, inner bits cannot be if flat sheet etc.
Its a tricky one I give you that

the rock doc
06-12-05, 06:47 PM
Sorry didn't get it either!!!!

Andy S
06-12-05, 06:51 PM
Clue : the 2 middle sections overlap...how if its made from a single piece ??

Miket
06-12-05, 06:54 PM
Is it part of a GD Chassis. :confused: :finger: :D

Andy S
06-12-05, 06:57 PM
dont think even GD are that clever Mike:finger: :finger:

mylesdw
06-12-05, 07:29 PM
Just had a thought, maybe it's a casting? Certainly didn't look like one in real life though...

dingocooke
06-12-05, 07:35 PM
I think I could do it like this; make it out of something malleable, and nice n easy to keep anealing (like sheet ally), this would be the cut out shape flat development (see pic) , then gradually keep working and anealing the roots of the 'fingers' until they were at 90 degrees to the edge of the frame and overlapping, then curve two up and leave the other two flat.

Great puzzle!!

Steve

Grease Monkey
06-12-05, 07:40 PM
Hmm.

Only solution i could think of as well is to bend it once its cut from the sheet. Found a pic from another angle but no solution...

dingocooke
06-12-05, 07:41 PM
either that or its a cut n shut job!!!

john cohen
06-12-05, 08:05 PM
:thumb: Now thats impresive. Could be how its done.:confused:

mylesdw
06-12-05, 08:34 PM
I think I could do it like this; make it out of something malleable, and nice n easy to keep anealing (like sheet ally), this would be the cut out shape flat development (see pic) , then gradually keep working and anealing the roots of the 'fingers' until they were at 90 degrees to the edge of the frame and overlapping, then curve two up and leave the other two flat.

Great puzzle!!

Steve

That sounds feasible to me, and it seems to fulfil their clues: can't be done with paper etc. There is sign of heating or working but I guess that could all be polished out. I will ask them next time I am down that way...

Grease Monkey
06-12-05, 08:39 PM
OK, here's my guess. Same as mentioned earlier, but i'd bend the base and top rather than the 4 'arms'

Purple AK
06-12-05, 08:41 PM

Great puzzle!!

Steve
The only answer I could come up with. Myles. Any ideas what material it is?

mylesdw
06-12-05, 09:05 PM
The only answer I could come up with. Myles. Any ideas what material it is?

Pretty sure it is aluminium

Robin427
06-12-05, 09:56 PM
You could machine it out of a damn great block of aluminium!! Wouldn't like to see the swarf from that...

tarmacscratcher
07-12-05, 08:55 AM
As said before, the clue is it can't be made of paper. It was beaten into submission :)

dingocooke
07-12-05, 12:17 PM
Grease, I like your guess, only thing I can think of is, as you straighten out the sides, the inner rectangle 'hole' would get bigger and the arms would end up a bit short?
Still a great puzzle!!!

pat b
07-12-05, 08:26 PM
perhaps Gandalf made it when they were in the area making Lord of the Rings:-}:-}:-} PAT...

hfbradley01
07-12-05, 09:25 PM
What if the 2 outside edges where actually longer but bent downward in the center at a 90 degree angle to give a "T" shape, the groove at the top could be welded to hide the groove and then machined of.

I'm not an engineer so I don't know if you could hide the groove like this.

Just a thought

Neil O
08-12-05, 12:59 PM
I think Grease Monkey's solution is right. :D