PDA

View Full Version : Up to 500 Fine if you don't let strangers in your home!

oglyoodoo
13-12-05, 11:04 AM
Apologies if this has been has been aired whilst I was out of circulation....

After reading the article in the Express yesterday regarding Revaluation of Homes, it seems that we may face a big fine or worse if we don't let possible crooks in our homes to look around, measure up and even take photographs!

I don't know how these bureauprat's sidekicks will be vetted and we must assume most of them will be honest. Sadly, the law of averages means that there are bound to be some less than completely honest inspectors out there who may be happy take a back hander to let the odd crook know that you have some good gear about the place.

I personally am really incensed about it. Instead of piddling your money against the wall of a Pub every night, you save to make your home a nice place to live in and then get sodding penalised for your efforts by Gordon. The article states that "a fine of up to 500 and a Police record" for gods sake, "will be imposed on housholders who slam the door on Council Tax inspectors".

Can we cover everything in dust sheets or insist they come between 02:00 and 03:00 in the morning??? As far as the actual house goes, in my case the council must have approved the plans so they know how big the rooms are so why do they need to take photographs of what you have??? If the Government and MI6 leak as they do what hope is there for keeping photos of your home safe???

Agggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh Down off soap box!

Robin427
13-12-05, 12:04 PM
Let's just hope they don't look in the garage!!!

dingocooke
13-12-05, 01:06 PM
I'm planning to let them all in, sedate them with a nicely doped cuppa and
sell their kidneys on ebay to fund a tuned big block motor from the states...hahahahaah
ok im only kidding...seriously:D

tarmacscratcher
13-12-05, 04:04 PM
Yes ....welcome to the police state...cctv,gatsos....and now in your own home near enough...ever read Orwells 1984?

Neil O
13-12-05, 04:30 PM
As always this can be halted. Safety in numbers is the best way.
If enough people don't give them access, the whole idea of looking inside your house will collapse.
I say let them come, they're not coming in my house!
500 fine is a bummer, but what the hell, I quite like the idea of building up my 'rap sheet'. :angry:

dingocooke
15-12-05, 02:43 PM
OK,
I've asked my MP, and this is the official line:

The Valuation Office has given a couple of references in response to your query.
Two questions were asked in the House during November on this issue (if you are interested, they were as follows: Hansard 23/11/05 column 2066W Sarah Teather MP, and Hansard 24/11/05 column 2240W Caroline Spelman MP). They were referred to the Local Government Finance Act 1992 Part 1. This can be found at:

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1992/Ukpga_19920014_en_3.htm#mdiv26 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1992/Ukpga_19920014_en_3.htm#mdiv26)

and states, with reference to Council Tax Valuation Officers, that:

"If a person intentionally delays or obstructs a person in the exercise of a power under this section, he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale."

The fines are imposed via court action, so it does seem that a police record would be applicable. The Standard Scale of Fines and Penalties can be found on various legal websites, one of them being:

www.wilson.butterworths.co.uk/stair/table.htm (http://www.wilson.butterworths.co.uk/stair/table.htm)

The figure for level 2 is 500. So it appears that the newspaper article is correct in theory, although apparently no such fines have been imposed by any court to date.