PDA

View Full Version : Latest Viper build pics

hfbradley01
08-01-06, 09:33 PM
Some more pics of my Viper build, courtesy of Iain. As you can see the back of the body has been fitted and fitting of inner wheel arches and boot has started.

You can see the join in the door opening but hopefully you won't be able to tell by the time it's finished.

Cheers

Purple AK
08-01-06, 09:45 PM
Howard. Whats the plan for extending the doors? :confused:

hfbradley01
08-01-06, 09:57 PM
That's a good question.

The guy that's doing the bodywork plans on extending the door at the latch end, i.e. not the hinge end. I'm not entirely happy with this as I would prefer to cut the door in half and extend it in the middle.

Obviously it's a lot more complicated to extend it in the middle but I feel it would be more "solid" doing it this way.

Any comments appreciated.....

Cheers

kevchard
09-01-06, 08:25 AM
Hi Howard
Why would you want to extend the doors?
Build is looking very good, when are you hoping to get it on the road?
Good luck with the build.
Cheers

gareth08
10-01-06, 01:53 PM
That's a good question.

The guy that's doing the bodywork plans on extending the door at the latch end, i.e. not the hinge end. I'm not entirely happy with this as I would prefer to cut the door in half and extend it in the middle.

Obviously it's a lot more complicated to extend it in the middle but I feel it would be more "solid" doing it this way.

Any comments appreciated.....

Cheers

Why are you extending the doors.Is that not a Viper body or have you modified something else.:confused:

Iain
10-01-06, 03:05 PM
It is a Viper body but it suffers the same problem as my body. The chassis is too long for the body and you can't get the wheels anywhere near the centre of the arches. It looked so bad that the only option was to cut the body in half and stretch it. Hence why the doors need extending!!!:angry:

gareth08
10-01-06, 07:12 PM
It is a Viper body but it suffers the same problem as my body. The chassis is too long for the body and you can't get the wheels anywhere near the centre of the arches. It looked so bad that the only option was to cut the body in half and stretch it. Hence why the doors need extending!!!:angry:

Ah,
Now I understand your signiture:(
sounds a bit like a sumo then:angry: :-(

Miket
10-01-06, 07:18 PM
Shafted by so call friend who said he knew about Cobras
Shafted by Classic Replicas
Shafted by a so called Cobra Club member when he sold me an engine
Shafted by the painter

Iain

We have the name of one company that shafted you, why don't you name and shame the other 3, so others don't get caught out. :confused: :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

Iain
11-01-06, 08:04 AM
Iain

We have the name of one company that shafted you, why don't you name and shame the other 3, so others don't get caught out. :confused: :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

I'll happily shame the guy who sold me the engine but the other two I doubt you will never know or meet.
The guys name is Terry Beeman. As I remember he lives (or used to live) in Morley, just outside Leeds. If memory serves me right I think that he mentioned owning an AK. He sold me an engine claiming that it was a Ford 351 Cleveland (as advertised in the old issues of Snake Torque) but after I had purchased it and some more components to finish it off I eventually found out that it was a 400 Block with a stroker kit to bring it down to what was the 351M.
The only way that engine could be classed as a 351 Cleveland is the fact that it had been stroked to 351ci from 400ci and that the block was made at the Cleveland Foundry instead of the Michigan Casting Centre. I also believe that the 351M and 400 blocks were actually classed as being in the Cleveland family though the engine itself was not a "351 Cleveland":whatever:

Make sure you know exactly what you are looking for when you buy engines like these. Take books with you so that you can confirm casting numbers etc. Don't do what I did and trust a CRC member!:mad:

Publish and be dammed I say!:finger:

Grease Monkey
11-01-06, 12:06 PM
Howard,

Coming from someone who bought a 'put the bits together' kit rather than a 'make the parts yourself from a block of metal and bottle of resin' kit, and also coming from someone who can weld and sees bodywork as the devils scrotum...

Why didn't you cut an inch and a half out of the middle of the chassis and leave the body alone, rather than hack the bodyshell around?

Must be easier to cut, reweld and reinforce a couple or chassis rails ??:confused: :confused:

Iain
11-01-06, 12:27 PM
Howard,

Coming from someone who bought a 'put the bits together' kit rather than a 'make the parts yourself from a block of metal and bottle of resin' kit, and also coming from someone who can weld and sees bodywork as the devils scrotum...

Why didn't you cut an inch and a half out of the middle of the chassis and leave the body alone, rather than hack the bodyshell around?

Must be easier to cut, reweld and reinforce a couple or chassis rails ??:confused: :confused:
The trouble is that when the chassis is welded up there are stresses welded in. If you go and cut the chassis in half then what you will find is that it will spring out of shape. You'll then have a devils own job getting it back together right.

Also, you would have to look at shortenening pipework, propshaft and maybe cables etc. Cutting the body was the best option but I think the discussion may move toward where the body should have been cut. Maybe between the windscreen and the bonnet opening, maybe it was correct to cut it down the doors, who knows?

kevchard
11-01-06, 02:08 PM
Our Cortina based DMS/Cobretti viper was only wrong on the passenger side wheelarch. So i have started to lengthen the wheelarch and try to make it ovaly/round to compensate.
I have to say, vipers are not kits, they are mecanno with no holes or preformed bits of metal, and a lifetimes vocation.

hfbradley01
11-01-06, 04:12 PM
Adrian

The thought had crossed my mind but I wasn't sure it would be strong enough.

Cheers

Grease Monkey
11-01-06, 06:06 PM
If its a standard 'twin tubular rail' type chassis i'd have been tempted to do what people do with Jag drive shafts, but in reverse.

(ie put a slighly smaller diameter tube down the middle of the chassis as far as it would go in each direction and weld the join in the middle.)

** Saying that i have no qualifications in mechanical engineering or welding, so perhaps it would fall apart ** :-}

Anything to avoid bodywork, me. Far too much hard work to hide mistakes.. er 'on the job learning curves' and far too visible on the finished product.

Good luck with it though, like to see how it all lines up when it's finished

osgood
11-01-06, 06:54 PM
Some more pics of my Viper build, courtesy of Iain. As you can see the back of the body has been fitted and fitting of inner wheel arches and boot has started.

You can see the join in the door opening but hopefully you won't be able to tell by the time it's finished.

CheersMMmmm Howard your car still there then? I thought the painter / body man had lost his marbles and was months behind with the rent and was evicted.

Why have you hacked away the boot floor? Much better to extend the edges of the doors than split through the middle Osgood :)

hfbradley01
11-01-06, 08:21 PM
MMmmm Howard your car still there then? I thought the painter / body man had lost his marbles and was months behind with the rent and was evicted.

Why have you hacked away the boot floor? Much better to extend the edges of the doors than split through the middle Osgood :)

Eric

I think it's a case of not knowing what i'm doing really. I'm just trying to get the thing together as best I can. The boot is a particular problem because the fuel tank has been moved further back. This has been done so that I can fit 2 single roll hoops.

This has presented knock on problems with the boot lining. I'm sure you must remember that sometimes it's a case of one step forward and 2 steps back, however every problem has a solution and with the Viper there's no shortage of problems.

As for the doors, i was just fishing for ideas, they are being extended not cut in the middle. One thing's for sure, i'll never forget building this car. I can't thank the guys who have helped me enough....they know who they are.

I hope to meet up with you sometime and show you the finished product, hopefully you'll like it.

Cheers

Deck
11-01-06, 08:25 PM
Hi Iain
Not sure if i'm happy to see this or not...happy that someone else is having as much fun with their viper as me. Aren't they great! :thumb: To be honest I'm only looking for some wheels now so I don't even know if my arches are out or not yet!:thumb: I bought someone elses troubled sleep because I'm nice like that and its only got the little sierra boys on it. Good to know I can hack up the body if I don't like the fit though.

My doors have a large fin of fibreglass at the lock side anyway so theres loads of space there to add on to and if you cut the door down the middle you'll need to go through its internal metal frame too...

Did you have flat spots on the bodywork/bonnet? Did you fill with gelcoat or filler?
Keep at it. It will be worth it!!
Declan

Purple AK
11-01-06, 08:29 PM
Howard. I have to agree with you that lengthening the middle would be the better solution. But as eric and others have said it will inbuild strength issues :( Keep it up, It may seem that you are years away from finishing, But once you start on the body it's amazing how near to the end you are ;) :thumb:

Iain
11-01-06, 09:34 PM
But once you start on the body it's amazing how near to the end you are ;) :thumb:
My car has been at the same painter as Howards but longer. Infact, it will be 27 weeks on this coming Saturday....

You were saying... :eek:

Purple AK
11-01-06, 09:42 PM
Iain. Are we to assume that yours was in the frame of Howards first photo? Untouched!!! Get another painter if it's been that long! Mine took 7 weeks but at least it came back after that with paint on :rolleyes:

Iain
11-01-06, 09:48 PM
My car is the other car yes, but it's had more work done to it than Howards (at this point in time)

As for why the car is still there.... well, that's a long story that isn't worth talking about here. At the end of the day:-
1. I had seen this guys work and was happy with it.
2. He has done a Viper before so he was supposed to know what he was doing.
3. He was recommended by the other Viper owner.

As it turns out, there were problems with this guy that none of us saw. :whatever:

You live and learn... D.T.A!

osgood
12-01-06, 08:58 AM
Hi Howard, I thought this car had the standard Super Knob 11 gallon ally tank obviously not! Other wise you could have just fitted another pair of tubes at the other side as the standard tank does not go all the way to the goal post.

The way I got extra tank capacity (17:7 galls) in stainless was to cut the corners and go for single hoop giving the tank support at the rear and I also added a center stay.

Yes I remember all the problems only too well and in my case 1 step forward and 6 back!!!:confused: :-( If I really want to depress myself I have 6 hours of build tape from start to finish some times working in temperatures -2, just switch it on and it does the job within minutes:-( :rolleyes: You will get there Howard I am sure. Regards Eric.

osgood
12-01-06, 09:01 AM
My car is the other car yes, but it's had more work done to it than Howards (at this point in time)

As for why the car is still there.... well, that's a long story that isn't worth talking about here. At the end of the day:-
1. I had seen this guys work and was happy with it.
2. He has done a Viper before so he was supposed to know what he was doing.
3. He was recommended by the other Viper owner.

As it turns out, there were problems with this guy that none of us saw. :whatever:

You live and learn... D.T.A!Iain must be getting a bit sore by now mate best regards Eric ;) :thumb:

hfbradley01
12-01-06, 05:39 PM
Hi Howard, I thought this car had the standard Super Knob 11 gallon ally tank obviously not! Other wise you could have just fitted another pair of tubes at the other side as the standard tank does not go all the way to the goal post.

The way I got extra tank capacity (17:7 galls) in stainless was to cut the corners and go for single hoop giving the tank support at the rear and I also added a center stay.

Yes I remember all the problems only too well and in my case 1 step forward and 6 back!!!:confused: :-( If I really want to depress myself I have 6 hours of build tape from start to finish some times working in temperatures -2, just switch it on and it does the job within minutes:-( :rolleyes: You will get there Howard I am sure. Regards Eric.

Eric

The tank Stan had made is the same as yours so It's been moved back to get the 2 roll bars in.

Cheers

osgood
12-01-06, 06:35 PM
Eric

The tank Stan had made is the same as yours so It's been moved back to get the 2 roll bars in.

Cheers Ahh right Howard got that. could I ask why you want two singeles in my opinion they look sh---t but only my opinion mind you ;) Eric:) .

hfbradley01
12-01-06, 06:56 PM
Ahh right Howard got that. could I ask why you want two singeles in my opinion they look sh---t but only my opinion mind you ;) Eric:) .

Eric

As with everything it's just a matter of personal choice. Hopefully when it's finished it will look the bees knees, but time will tell.

It's about time we got some envious comments from people about our Vipers so I hope I can make it good enough to get peoples approval.

Cheers

kevchard
12-01-06, 09:00 PM
It's about time we got some envious comments from people about our Vipers so I hope I can make it good enough to get peoples approval.

Cheers[/quote:0592debd76]

Deep down most cobra owners know that vipers look better than their makes :p . Trouble is they are all in denial ;) .
Keep up the good work promoting the 'only' make of cobra worth having.
Cheers

Iain
12-01-06, 09:14 PM
Well, they have Cobra's in the States with big arches... Don't look too bad does it! :D

Iain
12-01-06, 09:21 PM
Did you have flat spots on the bodywork/bonnet? Did you fill with gelcoat or filler?
Dec,

There are flat spots, holes etc. all over. They all need digging out too!
The bonnet has been modified. I've had a Hi-Rise scoop from AK made and fitted just because I like it better than the smaller Viper one (and the other one I had fitted to the bonnet after I removed the Viper one)

Cheers...

Deck
12-01-06, 09:43 PM
Good work Iain, and thanks for picking up the question.

You don't like compromise do you!!:D I'm avoiding that kind of work for now...

I don't mind the holes in the gelcoat and the 10mm splitline mis-alignments but there seem to be loads of concave flat spots 150 to 200mm in diameter in the bonnet and doors and elsewhere that are gonna need patience, and probably help, to smooth out.

Is "digging out" keying up to take the filler?
Cheers
Dec

Iain
12-01-06, 09:46 PM
What I mean by digging out is the holes. You'll find that you have small holes between the gel cote and the fibreglass underneath. You've got to find them and dig them out.

Cheers...

Purple AK
13-01-06, 07:38 AM
This is why most good painters will pre bake the car in the oven. It pops them before they start the prep work. Far better to find them all at this early stage than six months after it's painted and been in the sun :mad: :-(

osgood
13-01-06, 08:27 AM
Eric

As with everything it's just a matter of personal choice. Hopefully when it's finished it will look the bees knees, but time will tell.

Cheers :thumb: :thumb: I am sure you will Howard as you say the style is a matter of choice regards Eric.