PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and tyres

Deck
12-01-06, 06:29 PM
I've had a look around this and other sites and there's a lot of good advice about wheels and tyres but I think our arches deserve special consideration...and I'm really not sure about this bit!
So the questions are (uh oh?:p ), with particular reference to my CR Viper IV with RV8, Sierra running gear and BMW electrics...

Firstly, I have somehow lost the page from my "manual" :thumb: that gives the specification for the wheels. Q.1. What's the recommended diameter, width and offset?

Thanks to Purple AK there's an easy link to Image Wheels and Team III Wheels at

The UK Cobra Club (http://www.cobraclub.com/) > Cobra Links Directory (http://www.cobraclub.com/links/index.php) http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/pro_vizion/misc/navbits_finallink.gif (http://www.cobraclub.com/links/browselinks.php?c=5) Aftermarket Parts
These give good explainations of the wheel construction and specification and Image Wheels/Information/Technical gives a really useful diagram and how to measure the critical dimensions.:-}

Q.2. Can the wheels protrude from the arches?

Q.3. Is there a downside to having really high profile tyres (BF Goodrich) on small wheels? (road use only)

Q.4. Why can't I go and get some BMW X5 22inch monsters with low profiles and 300mm wide threads (other than 4 stud hubs and aesthetics)? The arch radius is 24"...

Q.5. Is it better to have all the same size or bigger on the back?

Finally Q.6. What's the relationship between wheel width and tyre width?

May not have been a good idea to ask all these questions at once...

Q.7. Anything that should be avoided at all costs (Wheel fitment wise):D ?

Hope I haven't overdone this.
Declan

Iain
15-01-06, 01:43 PM
Hi Declan,

I think that tyre diameter is down to personal choice. I have gone for 17 inch rims because I like them. As for sizes, and bearing in mind that my Viper is Jag based, I have 9 inch on the back and 8 inch on the front. The rear tyres are 255/45/ZR17 and the fronts are 225/45/ZR17

I got them from Image wheels and when I ordered them, I told them that they were for a Classic Replicas Viper and they knew what offset etc. to put on them.

It's best to have the wheels on the car when fitting the body as I think it will help you out no end for attempting to get it centre!

The only other thing to mention is that it's worth paying that little bit extra and having anodised rims... It will protect the wheels big style!

Hope this little information helps! :thumb:

Deck
24-01-06, 02:29 PM
Thanks Iain
Are those the wheel sizes specified by the manual?
Have you any pictures of what they look like posted anywhere? It'd be good to have a spec and an image of it to get my bearings.
Cheers
Declan

TINKA
24-01-06, 05:02 PM
Iain's car is away being painted at the moment but he should be getting it back in 4-5 weeks then he will be able to show some Fab pictures of it :thumb:

Iain
24-01-06, 05:40 PM
Are those the wheel sizes specified by the manual?
Have you any pictures of what they look like posted anywhere? It'd be good to have a spec and an image of it to get my bearings.
Declan,

This image is the only one I have that's half decent! They are not spec'ed by Classic Replicas and there is no information on them in the build manual. Come to think of it, there is no information about any part of the Viper build (that's useful) in the build manual!

As I said, speak to the chaps at Image. That's all I did, along with telling them what width and rim size I wanted and I got the right wheels! :thumb:

Hope this helps!

Deck
24-01-06, 06:11 PM
Brilliant Iain! Thanks again.
I thought I'd seen a pic somewhere but when I went back I couldn't find any. They look great. Might go for the black centres... Serious decisions!!
Good luck with the finishing and the paint job. Seeing those pictures on the other thread reminds me just how far I have to go:-( I did manage to get my headlights working, little by little eh?!

Is it worth buying someone elses build manual or should I just keep making it up?:D

May it all go your way.
Declan

Iain
24-01-06, 06:27 PM
Is it worth buying someone elses build manual or should I just keep making it up?:D

Well, to be honest, I never really used mine as it's so crap!

If you're having problems then let me know your e-mail address and I'll help you out as best I can.:thumb:

Cheers...

hfbradley01
24-01-06, 06:48 PM
Well, to be honest, I never really used mine as it's so crap!

If you're having problems then let me know your e-mail address and I'll help you out as best I can.:thumb:

Cheers...

Iain

You're just a big softie

Iain
24-01-06, 07:02 PM
Iain

You're just a big softie
Is that what you call it! :D

Phil (:whatever:) never did see my best side!

hfbradley01
24-01-06, 07:07 PM
Is that what you call it! :D

Phil (:whatever:) never did see my best side!

Just as well because he would have tried to f**k that up too.

Keep smiling

Deck
24-01-06, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE]"You're just a big softie"[/quote:06d4068cd8]

I think the term is "too kind" Howard...

Its a very generous offer Iain and if I have a specific difficulty I'll be sure to ask.
I was more thinking about using a manual for the overall order of the build and which bit to do next. I've been kind of just doing the bits I like, when they appeal to me, until I come across a bit I need, which then goes on the list and I do something else...
I'm just waiting for the BIG mistake to present itself! (taking on this project?)
Cheers
Declan

hfbradley01
24-01-06, 07:10 PM
I think the term is "too kind" Howard...

Its a very generous offer Iain and if I have a specific difficulty I'll be sure to ask.
I was more thinking about using a manual for the overall order of the build and which bit to do next. I've been kind of just doing the bits I like, when they appeal to me, until I come across a bit I need, which then goes on the list and I do something else...
I'm just waiting for the BIG mistake to present itself! (taking on this project?)
Cheers
Declan

Declan

Do you have a manual ?

Cheers

Deck
24-01-06, 07:19 PM
I'm sure I saw it on a shelf somewhere recently, underneath a load of Ford parts I didn't like the look of! BMW is such better quality gear you know. I do remember the phrase "make a bracket" cropping up a lot. Seeing as there were no dimensions...:angry:

hfbradley01
24-01-06, 07:36 PM
I'm sure I saw it on a shelf somewhere recently, underneath a load of Ford parts I didn't like the look of! BMW is such better quality gear you know. I do remember the phrase "make a bracket" cropping up a lot. Seeing as there were no dimensions...:angry:

Declan

Unfortunately the manual is at best a poor guide, but fortunately there are quite a lot of people on here who have experienced the problems you are having and will have in the future.

I'm at a similar stage in my build to Iain but I bought mine as a rolling chassis so I don't have experience of some of the build.

Perhaps if we new exactly what you have done up to now, someone could offer advice on the next appropriate steps.

Cheers

Deck
24-01-06, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE]Perhaps if we new exactly what you have done up to now, someone could offer advice on the next appropriate steps.[/quote:17ef7ec266]
This is such a great place! You are all beautiful!

Thanks for the offers but I don't actually have any big issues at the moment. I'm currently checking wiring in the loom, switches and devices. I've used a BMW steering column and universals (which fit perfectly onto the Sierra rack!) and as all the switches are bmw I used their loom including fusebox and relays. This seems to be working out so far. I also used bmw pedals including clutch and brake masters.

I bought someone's fairly well put together part built and un built a lot of it. The only thing I haven't done is take the body off. It measures up quite well. Having seen some recent pictures I might have to take it off when I get some wheels... the current big decision.

I have to say its very encouraging to know that you's are here if (when) I really get stuck, and/or want a distraction from the real work! :)
Best of luck and further thanks.
Declan

steamyrotter
24-01-06, 11:05 PM
Of all the "Manuals" i have read the most important and useful bit was right near the start....

"Put Kettle on and retreat"....

modelled my whole life round that one:D :D :D

:thumb: