PDA

View Full Version : viper door hinge

mall6300
31-01-06, 09:08 PM
this is my first time here can anyone help me with door hinge set up or design of hinge as i bought part biuld and have no info and 5 own made still cant get right as will always hit body on opening will pay almost anything for set:-(

TINKA
31-01-06, 09:24 PM
Just an Idea but you could try giving AK a ring and ask if they will sell you a set. A friend of mine is at the moment having his doors fitted and has had to have the ones supplied by Classic Replicas replaced as they were made of monkey metal ( his words not mine ) Might be worth getting in contact with him he posts under his own name "Iain" try a search in the members section and send him a PM.

HTH

TINKA
31-01-06, 09:25 PM
This is a link to one of his posts.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15782

Iain
02-02-06, 01:48 PM
this is my first time here can anyone help me with door hinge set up or design of hinge as i bought part biuld and have no info and 5 own made still cant get right as will always hit body on opening will pay almost anything for set:-(
If I get my doors on this weekend, I will try and post (or e-Mail you) some images to show what I have done and what I did to achieve it!

Hopefully that and a couple of sketches should have you sorted. :D

kevchard
02-02-06, 04:19 PM
We have used a heavily modified set from a pilgrim sumo.
Lot of work and b@@@@@@@g about, but very solid.

Black Hawk
02-02-06, 05:12 PM
I don't know if this is any use to you or not but my build (Hawk 289) began with the purchase of a written off Hawk which I stripped for anything of anything useful before buying a new kit. Consequently I still have the scratched doors bonnet etc, my point is that the hinges on the doors may be of use to you for your build. they are good and sturdy. Let me know and I'll send you pics and dimensions if you like.

hfbradley01
02-02-06, 05:58 PM
Mall

I would wait and see what photo's Iain comes back with at the weekend. A lot of time has gone into the design of these hinges so it might be worth waiting for.

Cheers

mall6300
04-02-06, 09:31 PM
If I get my doors on this weekend, I will try and post (or e-Mail you) some images to show what I have done and what I did to achieve it!

Hopefully that and a couple of sketches should have you sorted. :D
i would be very grateful

fcukruss
04-02-06, 10:49 PM
send osgood a pm

he is a very nice man(although some would disagree)im sure he could throw some light on the subject.

russ

osgood
05-02-06, 07:12 AM
send osgood a pm

he is a very nice man(although some would disagree)im sure he could throw some light on the subject.

russ

Thanks Russ I love you to :D If Iain cant come up with anything which I'm sure he can, I think I have a couple of original hinges which would enable you to copy them in a much stronger manner I will post them to you if required Osgood

hfbradley01
05-02-06, 08:24 PM
Some photo's of the hinges on both mine and Iain's cars.

Cheers

Deck
08-02-06, 02:27 AM
Does this mean that the hinges supplied are never going to work? I've got original CR issue and the door does strike the bogy at the back. Spent so much time getting the door to clear the body at the front that I had to leave them for a while. I was hoping to put a washer on the lower bolt on the bracket, where it attaches to the chassis upright, to lift the back. Will this not work?
This car gives me the fear sometimes...:eek:

osgood
08-02-06, 08:16 AM
Does this mean that the hinges supplied are never going to work? I've got original CR issue and the door does strike the bogy at the back. Spent so much time getting the door to clear the body at the front that I had to leave them for a while. I was hoping to put a washer on the lower bolt on the bracket, where it attaches to the chassis upright, to lift the back. Will this not work?
This car gives me the fear sometimes...:eek:

Deck yes you are quite right in that assumption, the large bracket (with slotted holes) that bolts to the post have to be pushed out as far as possible in the direction of the body even if it means cutting some material away & enlarging the holes. Super Knob Ken Cook told me himself there is no centre line to the body so it is important to get the body as square as you are able, as one door will be okay and the other will collide with the body.

In my case the lug which your pin or bolt fits is too small and the thickness of the pig iron supplied is no good in any direction so the door drops and bounces around like a dick in a bucket! I made larger units with bigger lugs and also had to have some ally spacers made up to fit between the hinge and door top and bottom, not only to set the door out but to tilt it out-wards from the bottom, even then we had to take some material off the body on the off-side to get the door to fit reasonably and open. Iain has taken that one step further and had them made in stainless with lots of bracing between the two hinges as illustrated in the pictures Howard has put up. In answer to your last question yes washers would push the door back but there again would allow the main female part of the hinge to flop around on the chassis post, best way is to slot your hinges on the door so you can get it back to-wards the rear of the car, other than that have new new units made up as illustrated which you will note allow for forward and back-ward movement. (well worth it)

Hope this helps Osgood.

Deck
08-02-06, 12:02 PM
Thanks Osgood.
I did weld a 20mm strip to both brackets and enlarged to slots so they moved out to the body. Took a lot of scratching to work that out though!!
I'll take your advice...
Iain/ Howard, Is it possible to get another set of your hinges made up and if so how much? (Easy on the design fee now!)
Alternately, can I buy the mechanical drawings off one of you?
Are the bonnet and boot hinges a similar problem?
Cheers
Declan

Iain
08-02-06, 12:25 PM
Deck,

You're welcome to the deisgn. I can print you out an AutoCAD drawing (which I drew and is reasonably accurate) and post it to you. If you want them made up then I'll have to ask the guy that made mine if he can make some more and if so, how much...

osgood
08-02-06, 01:02 PM
Thanks Osgood.
I did weld a 20mm strip to both brackets and enlarged to slots so they moved out to the body. Took a lot of scratching to work that out though!!
I'll take your advice...
Iain/ Howard, Is it possible to get another set of your hinges made up and if so how much? (Easy on the design fee now!)
Alternately, can I buy the mechanical drawings off one of you?
Are the bonnet and boot hinges a similar problem?
Cheers
Declan

Deck, re the bonnet in my case yes, tried three different hinges but could not get it to clear, I think Iain and Howard escaped that syndrome they will correct me if I am wrong on that score. My bonnet now lifts off completely; this has some advantages and disadvantages! I think my problem was the bar that holds the hinges on was glassed in under the front was too far backwards. I think one other Viper builder has also had this problem, so its worth checking now Osgood

Deck
08-02-06, 01:45 PM
Iain. I'd love a copy of the drawings. Could you email it to me and I'll print it here. Could you get your guy to quote for it if its not too much trouble? I'll get my guy to do the same but I'd say yours will be better seeing as he has already done it.

Thanks for the warning Osgood. I did look at it briefly but only to see where they were and why the bracket comes in 2 separate pieces! You know its going to be a s**tfight when you see something like that. :rolleyes:
Cheers
Declan

mall6300
09-02-06, 10:45 PM
Iain. I'd love a copy of the drawings. Could you email it to me and I'll print it here. Could you get your guy to quote for it if its not too much trouble? I'll get my guy to do the same but I'd say yours will be better seeing as he has already done it.

Thanks for the warning Osgood. I did look at it briefly but only to see where they were and why the bracket comes in 2 separate pieces! You know its going to be a s**tfight when you see something like that. :rolleyes:
Cheers
Declan
iain if its not to much hard work if your guy can build another set of hinges i will by them too if he cant build anymore can you e mail drawing to me to at (garymallon@hotmail.com) sorry about opening this can of worms mall6300 here

Deck
09-02-06, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE]) sorry about opening this can of worms mall6300 here[/quote:8339180cb6]
I'm really glad you found this big juicy worm in the can. I spent a long time fitting the doors and might have tried removing material to improve the fit. I don't think I'd have worked out it was the hinge metal that was at fault. It's also given me a completely different approach to Viper problem solving...assume nothing is correct!

As for Iain and all the other helping hands and minds on this site; unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be able to present a new idea or solution to this wealth of knowledge but I'll be sure to bring a bagload of pints whenever I get to a mainland event. (don't go holding your breath yet though, i'm a long way from legal!)
CHEERS!
Declan

Iain
10-02-06, 09:21 AM
I'll be seeing the guy this weekend so I'll ask. :)

The drawings can be e-mailed in AutoCAD Lt format (Release 12 compatible) or I can attempt to either bmp them or pdf them. :cool:

I never refuse a beer! :D well, I do but only when I've had so much I can't speak! :D

Regards

steamyrotter
10-02-06, 10:08 PM
It's also given me a completely different approach to Viper problem solving...assume nothing is correct!

And after only 35 posts as well.
I'm impressed.

Only took me 2 minuites after I got the thing on the trailer to work that out on mine.....

Engine strapped to chassis, body tied on top 5 boxes of assorted bits in the back of the car and the cockpit jammed full of what appeared to be everything including the skiny hinges...

Shame I didn't really need half of it, but it cleared that blokes garage out nicely!!!

And it all seemed a good idea at the time.
Please give me some decent weather so I can get on with it again.........

kevchard
10-02-06, 10:29 PM
This is a pic of our modded pilgri hinge. Sorry for bad shot, but internal panels are on for a while, so cant get any better shots.