PDA

View Full Version : same old same old... questions

plod
06-02-06, 01:47 PM
Chaps. I have noticed as the club gets bigger and the number of new members increases, the question of 'which cob should I go for?' 'Whats the best colour?' 'unders or sidepipes' 'whats the difference between..' best insurance..' etc etc etc.. is increasing at an increasing rate.

While I do not want discourage such questions being asked, and I know everyone likes the personal touch of an individual response, I have a suggestion which is been granted favour with our Lord Chief Justice Robert of The Stanley.

I think we could create a sticky or similar which takes you to a thread that contains all the links to help out with these questions. Could you think of anymore? Now I do think a lot of the threads do lead to banter which is great but I get a little frustrated at another poat asking the same questions and I've not even been around that long.. I hope this causes no offence as I would have asked the same question..

In future, should we get another, we could post the link as a response taking them to all the pros and cons etc..

????? :D

This poll is.. do we think this would be a good idea..?

rich
06-02-06, 02:23 PM
Cracking idea Paul,
Now all we have to do is collectively come up with an unbiased, informative well balanced thread that calmly and rationally ways up all the alternatives, choices and individual needs and gives a positive answer to peoples questions, Oh and doesn't tail off into three pages lunatic banter

LOL :D :D :D
Well It's never happened yet, but I wish you luck

Miket
06-02-06, 02:26 PM
If you scroll down to the bottom of each page, there are links to similar threads/topics. :confused: :confused:

plod
06-02-06, 02:33 PM
yeah well we know that and I think Rob would assist. the new chaps dont know however or may not know that those links appear.

route66
06-02-06, 02:39 PM
yeah well we know that and I think Rob would assist. the new chaps dont know however or may not know that those links appear.

If, and only if, it was effectively researched, collated and managed it may work.

However, as pointed out by Rich above, many posts featuring innocent queries and requests for information and assistance soon become diluted and diverted by irrelevant and cliquey banter and rambling.

Steve

robert
06-02-06, 02:49 PM
If, and only if, it was effectively researched, collated and managed it may work.

However, as pointed out by Rich above, many posts featuring innocent queries and requests for information and assistance soon become diluted and diverted by irrelevant and cliquey banter and rambling.

Steve

Big draw back there. You can research, colate and pull everything together, but the best cobra will ALWAYS be a personal choice.

I might however pull together a list of topics that have appeared in the past and put them in one post, as some people tend to have an aversion to using the search function. :p :p

bogster
06-02-06, 02:49 PM
Why change a good thing? The system works fine and it certainly made me want to become a full time member when people answered my questions. In fact it made me feel like I was part of a club that people could be bothered to answer my questions even though they have seen them before.

I think it would be a bad move.

:eek:

robert
06-02-06, 02:55 PM
Bogster

I agree, the search facility is there and it does work quite well.

wilf
06-02-06, 03:27 PM
I recall a similar initiative over on the US site a year or so ago. Lots of people willing to write up their segment of Cobra lore.

It died, since inevitably, no-one could agree on unbiased, objective, comprehensive answers to the basic questions.

Now where have I seen that before?

To be 100% honest, I find the same old, same old, questions - "which car", "which engine", "which colour", etc. difficult to answer other than by saying "use the search facility". But does this really do newcomers to our fine madness justice?

As I suspect this thread/poll will eventually conclude, there is no right answer to this.

As Bogster says - it was the friendly response here that got him hooked!

Kevin W
06-02-06, 03:53 PM
I think this is a good idea, and could appear as a link in one of the side columns on the entry banner pages. The submitted content from members might be contenscious in some cases, but if we could think up, say, 6 honest pros'n' cons on each of the main brands for example and list these, guide price for chassis, rolling chassis, body, on-the road and factory build, that would be a start. Content could be generated by starting threads in each of the technical forums. I'm sure some senior moderators could check for unwanted rhetoric/bias/cr9p, and sticking to facts only which do not involve direct criticism of other products, + a few pics of example chassis, engine installations and pics of the cars would help absolte beginners get a feel for what our community has to offer. Just my tuppence worth....

Kevin

rich
06-02-06, 04:20 PM
A good Idea may be instead of an open thread, is to a have a "report good post" option somewhere, were Robert or the moderators could decide to include single infomative replies into a "pool of wisdom"

shadow
06-02-06, 04:37 PM
Would be good IMO, make a FAQ and have sub headings under where previous topics & Questions could be moved to that area! As for agreeing on whats better that what, try and avoid that cos it wont work. Everyone has their own taste. I personally could do with a engine comparison pro & Con.
Eg, Chevy, ford, rover, LS ... Chevy can be more blinged than an LS but the LS has better MPG and injection. etc ect...

A basic comparison on basic specs before emptying ones wallet

Maybe this isn't quite what you mean, but I agree that the same questions do come up. Seems like a lot of work to move all relating threads but could be worth it in the long run!

HTH. :)

robert
06-02-06, 04:40 PM
Would be good IMO, make a FAQ and have sub headings under where previous topics & Questions could be moved to that area! As for agreeing on whats better that what, try and avoid that cos it wont work. Everyone has their own taste. I personally could do with a engine comparison pro & Con.

HTH. :)

Tried that, didn't work.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

shadow
06-02-06, 04:46 PM
ah, ok.

I have never actualy seen that b4!! :confused: :(

But can now see that you have tried this already... Maybe font size 16 and bold will work, lol

plod
06-02-06, 05:11 PM
well, thanks for the replies. Didn't quite go the way I thought. maybe I'm just a miserable git.

I did mean collating all the recent threads on the above; exhausts, colours, which manufacturer etc.. and placing them in a link. There must have been at least 6 on each subject alone in the last 2 months. I didn't think of making up new ones.

I appreciate the personal bit very much but would that mean that sending them a link would be impersonal? We would/will still get the questions however it's tackled but a ' hi hey welcome to the madhouse/club, try this link here.. and anything else, come ask, we're soooo friendly.. The original threah could still be used. The chosen posts would be totally random and as they all deteriorate into squabbles anyway, our newbie would think ha ha ha, mad bunch, or might think bloody hell, I'll get a TVR. These posts chaps, are always biased. My best is differnet you you r best ( ie mine is better!!!) and really, who, what, why, how.. Are anyone of us qualified to say I know best? I'm off on a tangent now..

Me, well I never really reply anyway, mostly cos I know zip.

right new poll now. who thinks I'm a misunderstood/lonely/rude/unknowing/all of the previous moose! x x :D

MetaJacko
06-02-06, 05:22 PM
right new poll now. who thinks I'm a misunderstood/lonely/rude/unknowing/all of the previous moose! x x :D

Yep I'll vote for that!!:p ( I think I'll join you on most of those as well :rolleyes: )

I was thinking though, is it possible to have some form of 'knowlage base' with some basic pros and cons for the most popular questions?

Although the friendly response brings in the new users, the 20 pages of confusing disagreement they see when they look back to see what the reply is may well put them off:(

Neil O
06-02-06, 05:35 PM

Steve

If more members went to their local meets and got involved it wouldn't be 'cliquey' banter to them.
It's so frustrating when people join a club and then don't use it.
I say let new guys introduce themselves first and then get involved and find the information they want.

Miket
06-02-06, 05:43 PM
well, thanks for the replies. Didn't quite go the way I thought. maybe I'm just a miserable git.

I did mean collating all the recent threads on the above; exhausts, colours, which manufacturer etc.. and placing them in a link. There must have been at least 6 on each subject alone in the last 2 months. I didn't think of making up new ones.

I appreciate the personal bit very much but would that mean that sending them a link would be impersonal? We would/will still get the questions however it's tackled but a ' hi hey welcome to the madhouse/club, try this link here.. and anything else, come ask, we're soooo friendly.. The original threah could still be used. The chosen posts would be totally random and as they all deteriorate into squabbles anyway, our newbie would think ha ha ha, mad bunch, or might think bloody hell, I'll get a TVR. These posts chaps, are always biased. My best is differnet you you r best ( ie mine is better!!!) and really, who, what, why, how.. Are anyone of us qualified to say I know best? I'm off on a tangent now..

Me, well I never really reply anyway, mostly cos I know zip.

What are you on Plod :confused: cos I want some. :eek: ;) :D

route66
06-02-06, 06:58 PM
If more members went to their local meets and got involved it wouldn't be 'cliquey' banter to them.
It's so frustrating when people join a club and then don't use it.
I say let new guys introduce themselves first and then get involved and find the information they want.

True, but bare in mind that some introvert types are not comfortable with siddling up to strange cobra owners at strange venues by way of an introduction.
Some people are far more at home behind the anonymity of a computer keyboard with an assumed name.

It's horses for courses. Some folks are happy to shell out and join a national club but have no desire or compulsion to 'join in', either in person or online, and neither should they be expected to.

Within our East Anglian region (and as former regional reps) we have always strived to welcome new members into the fold, with a smile and a chat and a willingness to listen to their queries and engage them in cobra related matters.

Steve

kdavies3
06-02-06, 07:20 PM
I think it's a good idea, but very dificult to pull off I'm sure.

Also I think any question is better answered and discussed in real time. :)

And PLOD yes you do have issues. :D:D:D

Rat Boy
06-02-06, 07:26 PM
But what make of Cobra should I build?
Tell me what is the best engine.
Is blue the best colour and if so what blue should I go for?
I have a lot more questions, but I will post them in lots of new threads.

BILKO
06-02-06, 08:02 PM
Things are fine as they are, as previously mentioned we have the search button on the top tool bar, just type in a keyword and hey presto all the mysteries of the universe are revealed. but if someone wants to ask a question we’ve all seen before then not a prob it makes them feel welcome and us feel superior a win win situation.anyway the more questions asked the more chance for some light hearted cliquey banter :D

lumberjack
06-02-06, 09:52 PM
The personal touch for answering questions will always be my choice , as I can't stand the impersonal approach of being given the runaround by a computer system trying to guess the context of what I was struggling to describe or press button mania e.g. option1 colour , option 2 engine, option3 suspension, option 4 location,................................... option 3066 speak to experienced friendly knowledgable club mates & show jpeg of problem if available.

I'd sooner be able to ask the experts without going through the lengthy option route.

plod
07-02-06, 07:04 AM
Mike what am I on? errr.... :confused: Jello and high spirits?

Kev...??? Issues?:(

osgood
07-02-06, 09:31 AM
Mike what am I on? errr.... :confused: Jello and high spirits?

Kev...??? Issues?:(

Paul last time I made a jovial suggestion IE (Ow no not again) then went on to answer the question, I was sent a private PM in the form of wrist slapping and asked not to say it again, good idea of yours of course, but you will be okay as your handles not Osgood ;)

TINKA
07-02-06, 09:31 PM
As I would expect from you Eric, facts completely twisted. Paul's post was a generalisation aimed at nothing but trying to streamline certain topics which crop up from time to time. Your post was a frustrated dig at someone who was asking a question and as I said to you at the time " the only stupid question is the one you don't ask " and showing your frustration with a newbie is only going to discourage questions which is the primary reason for this site after all.

osgood
07-02-06, 09:44 PM
As I would expect from you Eric, facts completely twisted. Paul's post was a generalisation aimed at nothing but trying to streamline certain topics which crop up from time to time. Your post was a frustrated dig at someone who was asking a question and as I said to you at the time " the only stupid question is the one you don't ask " and showing your frustration with a newbie is only going to discourage questions which is the primary reason for this site after all.

Martin old boy, nothing twisted about it, I was actually repling to Paul, I don't think he is a newbie or have I got that wrong too? get back in your pram, take a pill and Ill give you your bottle latter.

Osgood :)

Andy S
07-02-06, 11:04 PM
Osgood, Plod wouldnt know one end of a dipstick from the other , having said that there is some merit in directing newcomers to the right threads etc, but as others have said its the personal touch that separates this site from the rest. so just direct them in the right direction, then when they get stuck they can ask, easy really....oh sh1t I'm in trouble now..........................

osgood
08-02-06, 08:47 AM
Osgood, Plod wouldnt know one end of a dipstick from the other , having said that there is some merit in directing newcomers to the right threads etc, but as others have said its the personal touch that separates this site from the rest. so just direct them in the right direction, then when they get stuck they can ask, easy really....oh sh1t I'm in trouble now..........................

Andy could not aree more with you, Osgood :)

plod
08-02-06, 12:21 PM
I know nothing do I?

Yesterday, I put a front wheel on my daughters' new bike! Further to that, I put the pedals on too! Knowing that they have to go on the correct side!

I also tightened the adjustment on the seat.......

Tonight I am mostly considering a personal refinance of my personal circs.

I really am making progress x

TINKA
08-02-06, 05:26 PM

No problem Andy I will just set TONY M on you :D :D

Andy S
08-02-06, 06:33 PM
Come on Martin I dont think I deserve that fate, do I ??????:mad:

TINKA
08-02-06, 06:36 PM
Might let you off as you did sort out the ferry crossing rates :confused: :confused: OK just this once ( Tony would not listen to a word I say anyway ) and who in their right mind would argue with him:eek: :eek: not me:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Miket
08-02-06, 06:39 PM
Might let you off as you did sort out the ferry crossing rates :confused: :confused: OK just this once ( Tony would not listen to a word I say anyway ) and who in their right mind would argue with him:eek: :eek: not me:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
He's a big pussy cat really. ;) :D

TINKA
08-02-06, 06:41 PM
Thats cos he was wrapped up in an electric blanket and it was plugged in ;)

tonym
08-02-06, 10:28 PM
Er, thanks.......................I think :cool:

Louise
10-02-06, 02:42 PM
Your ideas astound me :p

Links to the ‘top ten frequently asked questions’, for example, would certainly help newbies. It should require minimal effort to set up, and would only need to be reviewed every so often.

plod
10-02-06, 06:29 PM
Well seems to be closing up.. Well done to my allies..

Miket
10-02-06, 06:36 PM
I think your on a loser mate, look at all those red signatures in the err no. :mad: :mad:

plod
10-02-06, 06:40 PM
There are only 2 votes in it..? At least it was close, though I expected it to be a run away victory. :rolleyes:

osgood
10-02-06, 06:50 PM
There are only 2 votes in it..? At least it was close, though I expected it to be a run away victory. :rolleyes:

Paul 80% of the Cobra Club don't ever visit this site so don't be to disenchanted, I have built many of both and I can tell you which is the best from all angles and it begins with a big C Osgood :)

Clarkson
18-02-06, 02:26 PM
Paul 80% of the Cobra Club don't ever visit this site so don't be to disenchanted, I have built many of both and I can tell you which is the best from all angles and it begins with a big C Osgood :)

Wind your neck in sogood or that halo is gonna strangle you!!:D :D

And I see that you have reveild your age...! Old fart! older than Mr T.

osgood
18-02-06, 03:11 PM
Wind your neck in sogood or that halo is gonna strangle you!!:D :D

And I see that you have reveild your age...! Old fart! older than Mr T.

Dave all the best wine comes out of the old bottles :) :D Osgood