PDA

View Full Version : Very rare original wheels on Ebay

simon finlay
06-02-06, 09:26 PM
AC / SHELBY COBRA WHEELS - HALIBRAND SUNBURST PATTERN

These are VERY rare, an option on the original 427 street Cobras and would make a great option for some one looking for an original but different look and I think they are cheap at the buy it now price as long as they are OK. Nothing to do with me, just came across them, cheers, Simon

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AC-SHELBY-COBRA-WHEELS-HALIBRAND-SUNBURST-PATTERN_W0QQitemZ8036118186QQcategoryZ28648QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

wilf
06-02-06, 10:12 PM
WARNING!

Before anyone gets carried away with the idea of an "original" set of wheels, think on. If these truly date back to the '60s, would you want your life to depend on a set of 30 year old magnesium wheels?

That may well be why the buy it now price is so low - because they are only fit for making coffee tables with.

kdavies3
07-02-06, 06:50 PM
I agree with Wilf here, but I guess you could have them Xrayed to check for cracks etc.
Also if you were fitting them before SVA you won't pass as Knock-ons are not allowed as far as I'm aware.

smash
07-02-06, 07:16 PM
Interesting - I wonder if anybody thinks about this when they buy a 60's classic with original alloys already on it? I bet they don't!

Don't you think it's fascinating that we worry more about safety when we're dealing with individual components?

I know I didn't bat an eyelid at the original alloys on my old 240Z - wish I'd paid more attention to the brake master cylinder though after it nearly killed me at a crossroads!!

just an observation.....sorry far too deep for me I know.....:)

mylesdw
07-02-06, 08:03 PM
WARNING!

Before anyone gets carried away with the idea of an "original" set of wheels, think on. If these truly date back to the '60s, would you want your life to depend on a set of 30 year old magnesium wheels?

It says they are aluminium in the ad; is that right? I thought only the more common Cobra pattern was available in magnesium.

I guess you could have them crack tested quite easily. Out of interest, what are the SVA issues with knock-ons?

Grease Monkey
07-02-06, 08:08 PM
Out of interest, what are the SVA issues with knock-ons?

I'm guessing the spinners project further than the wheel rims. Perhaps you could get a 'modified' set to get through the test ?

mylesdw
07-02-06, 08:11 PM
I'm guessing the spinners project further than the wheel rims. Perhaps you could get a 'modified' set to get through the test ?

I guess you could use the type that are a giant nut instead of a spinner until after the SVA.