PDA

View Full Version : RAC Membership? Think twice

dingocooke
08-02-06, 05:17 PM
Radio 2 news today; apparently the RAC has advised the government to increase tax on higher polluting cars; thanks very much RAC, thought you were supposed to be on our side?
What is it with these people, I thought they were supposed to represent the motorist, not encourage more tax dressed up as 'environmental' , when even the tax that motorist pay already is chronically under spent on the road system.
Remember when your renewal comes, or you get asked in the services if you want to join.
Steve

(Im not involved in any service competing with the RAC in case youre wondering)

dave
08-02-06, 06:01 PM
This is already the case though. A Cob costs £170 a year for road tax and the wife's Beema is £165 cos it breathes out daisies......................But not when I'm driving it!!!!

frank
08-02-06, 06:12 PM
Yes complete b******'s!

I've sent them email below suggest all RAC members do same

FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE CUSTOMER RETENTION DEPARTMENT.

Well Thank you very much for you suggestion to the government that they increase road tax on larger engined cars!

I am a car enthuasiat and own a second car that has a 5.7 litre engine, however I only do around 3000 miles per year in it.

Wouldn't it be fairer to suggest they put the tax onto fuel so we all pay for what we use and can't evade?

I have been with the RAC since 1985 but I will think very carefully before renewing this year.

I look forward to your comments

Clive
09-02-06, 12:27 AM
Would this apply to cars that are tax exempt due to age?
Clive.

robert
09-02-06, 12:51 AM
I can't find anything on the BBC website regarding the RAC and raising tax etc, I did find this though on the Radio 4 Today page

Motorway Madness?
By Roger Harrabin
Environment Correspondent

Motorists should be charged for every mile they drive on congested motorways and city streets, according to advisers preparing to report to the government on many of Britain's most heavily-used road corridors.

Regional teams commissioned by ministers to unlock jams throughout the regions will say motorway congestion is intolerable in many places - and getting worse.

Some favour widening the motorways. But others say drivers should have to pay for any new road space - or the new roads will simply fill up with extra traffic.

The findings of the study teams will present a major challenge to politicians. The groups are due to report throughout the year.

Denvil Coombe, an independent consultant for the studies in Yorkshire, southern Scotland and the M25 corridor told Today that if politicians duck the challenge of road pricing they'll leave future generations with even worse traffic jams.

Sixty per cent of driver surveyed on the M1 said they'd be prepared to pay a charge if it smoothed their journey to work. Cash from the charging should be used to vastly improve public transport, Mr Coombe says.

The CBI say politicians should be brave enough to back road pricing - but they want the motorways expanded first, come what may.

The RAC Foundation say they think road pricing might be helpful to drivers - but that it's not a short-term solution. They want any future tolls to be offset with cuts in petrol tax or road tax to benefit poorer drivers in rural areas. They want roads expanded first.

Denvil Coombe argues this would encourage people to drive even further, which would lead to greater congestion on motorway approach roads. Within a decade the expanded motorways would be clogged once more.

Transport 2000 fear that ministers under pressure to deliver on transport will take the easy option of building roads, but will ignore the rail network because it's too expensive, and avoid congestion charging because of the political risk. They say this would be the worst possible outcome.

Find out more about the regional studies due to report through the year.

dingocooke
09-02-06, 08:06 AM
Most people fprget we already pay tax per mile, as the fuel is taxed at approx 84p/1 so government is already doing that.
I expect thegovernment to ream us but not the motoring bodies who are supposed to be supporting us; and we pay them!!!
Its a bit like your solicitor acting for the other party!!!

tarmacscratcher
09-02-06, 09:06 AM
Just out of interest some of you may or may not know that there's one class of vehicle where the road fund licence hasn't gone up in the last 10 years or so :)
Get a 125cc motorbike...it's still £15 a year :)

shadow
09-02-06, 09:41 AM
Sixty per cent of driver surveyed on the M1 said they'd be prepared to pay a charge if it smoothed their journey to work.

In an ideal world it would work! What people forget is that if the charging doesnt reduce trafic, will the goverment scrap the charge?? I THINK NOT!
But if it does work, they'll spread it across the nation and double the charge!

More charges for motoring? Charged by mile? Great........delivey charges sky rocket. Everything that is sold, everything from food - cars need to be delivered!

On a lighter note, the days are getting longer!!!! :D :D :D

Wheelnutter
09-02-06, 03:18 PM
Just back from MOT. New smoke tests for all diesels and stricter emmissions test coming in for petrol cars on 1st March 2006. That's here N. Ireland and if it is not happening on the main land I'm sure it won't be too long before it does.
Hugh
PS. Nice people in the RAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dingocooke
09-02-06, 05:00 PM
just remember theyre not on our side b4 you spend any money with them!!

euro_427
16-02-06, 08:03 PM
I did find this though on the Radio 4 Today page

Motorway Madness?
By Roger Harrabin
Environment Correspondent

Transport 2000 fear that ministers under pressure to deliver on transport will take the easy option of building roads, but will ignore the rail network because it's too expensive, and avoid congestion charging because of the political risk. They say this would be the worst possible outcome.
Wasn't Dr. Beeching a clever chappie !! All those rail networks lost... and some of them were rediculous.. Tavistock in Devon had 2 railway stations on different lines - so he got rid of both ! Duhhhh???
What a surprise - Dartmoor gets clogged with cars in the summer...:confused:
And the later idea of privatisation really helped improve the rail network, didn't it ????

That is why, if I travel north to visit family, I leave Chichester at 03:00 and can be well up country before the rest of the world awakes... amazing how clear the M40 & M42 are at that time of the morning !! and hardly a police car in sight !! :D

Oh, and I dropped out of the RAC membership after they left me stranded twice... but that's a different story. :mad:

Graham

RobinH
23-02-06, 06:00 PM
Yes complete b******'s!

I've sent them email below suggest all RAC members do same

FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE CUSTOMER RETENTION DEPARTMENT.

Well Thank you very much for you suggestion to the government that they increase road tax on larger engined cars!

I am a car enthuasiat and own a second car that has a 5.7 litre engine, however I only do around 3000 miles per year in it.

Wouldn't it be fairer to suggest they put the tax onto fuel so we all pay for what we use and can't evade?

I have been with the RAC since 1985 but I will think very carefully before renewing this year.

I look forward to your comments

I wrote one too....this was the reply.

Dear Mr Hoad

Thank you for your recent email.

Each year, RAC undertakes research into issues which are of importance to
motorists. In 2004, our Report on Motoring focused on counting the cost of
motoring and cutting congestion. In that, almost two-thirds of motorists
concurred with your view that a fuel-based system of charging was the most
fair.

RAC believes there should be a full review of motoring taxation covering
fuel duty and VAT, road tax etc. We believe this is particularly relevant
in the light of the current debate on road pricing and that any road
charges should not be an additional tax on motorists.

With regard to your email, RAC has not suggested to government that road
tax should be increased on larger engined cars. However, I am aware that
the RAC Foundation issued a press release earlier this month on this
subject -
http://www.racfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=342&Itemid=35.

The Foundation is an independent body, separate from the RAC, but from time
to time they are billed as "RAC".

Thank you for taking the time to write to RAC.

Regards
Gill Kerr
External Affairs Manager, RAC

dingocooke
24-02-06, 12:57 PM
Well even though they ar eblaming the foundation, they ARE suggesting fuel tax is fairer, but we already pay fuel tax.
Like I said, the RAC are winding the government uo for more car tax, not what members pay for is it?

shadow
24-02-06, 04:10 PM
I would love to go buy 1 Litre of fuel, and ask them, So how exactly do you want me to pay the 94.8p? :D :rolleyes:

We're being ripped off left right and centre!!!
Anyway, wtf is it with the .4p .8p .9p these days???

shadow
25-02-06, 08:31 PM
Ment to say

I would love to go into a petrol station and buy 1 Litre of fuel, and ask them, So how exactly do you want me to pay the 94.8p? :D :rolleyes:

sounded like I was on about the RAC.

Blond moment. :p