PDA

View Full Version : No Rover spares

chiffer
17-02-06, 05:32 PM
We bought a Rover 75 for one of our partners last year. Actually picked the car up two weeks before they went bust." No problems with spares" the garage said. Well, twelve months down and big problems. Two faults on the car that were both repaired under guarantee, which we had to pay extra for as the garage would no longer accept Rovers Guarantee, and both faults have re-appeared. Guess what. No more spares. So cannot repair. Went to another garage and asked for a price to trade in the Rover, and Guess what again. Oh, you have one of those. They do not want to know. Apparantly all the new cars from Rover have know been sold and the second hand price has gone through the floor. So beware of buying a second hand Rover. Spares are not as available as a garage will tell you.:mad:

mike gowland
17-02-06, 05:57 PM
Worse than that.

What if someone sees you driving it!!

:) :)

h8jse
17-02-06, 07:57 PM
Where I worked around 5 years ago a manager got one as a company car, I think the 75 was virtually new then, appaerntly they had a fault with water hoses:confused: and hey presto they needed replacing. The funny thing is where the car was brand new they hadn't made any parts for them but yet they knew of the fault with them:rolleyes: so he had a new car that he couldn't drive for 4 months due to the lack of parts - he weren't a happy bunny:D :D :D

Clarkson
17-02-06, 07:58 PM
We bought a Rover 75 for one of our partners last year. Actually picked the car up two weeks before they went bust." No problems with spares" the garage said. Well, twelve months down and big problems. Two faults on the car that were both repaired under guarantee, which we had to pay extra for as the garage would no longer accept Rovers Guarantee, and both faults have re-appeared. Guess what. No more spares. So cannot repair. Went to another garage and asked for a price to trade in the Rover, and Guess what again. Oh, you have one of those. They do not want to know. Apparantly all the new cars from Rover have know been sold and the second hand price has gone through the floor. So beware of buying a second hand Rover. Spares are not as available as a garage will tell you.:mad:

Did the rover main dealer say that??

wilf
17-02-06, 08:12 PM
Trouble is, there are no "Rover Main Dealers" any longer.

I am surprised that "no spares are available", since I understood that the Unipart network had been bought out, and had stated that Rover spares would be maintained (and why not it would be a lucrative business?).

Chiffer - all I could suggest is a trawl around the net to find a Rover users forum, they probably know more about spares availability than any dealer.

Good luck.

h8jse
17-02-06, 08:17 PM

Try the scrappy, if there are no spares available for them now then other people may have 'lost' their cars, accidently of course, I mean cars go missing, get badly damaged and malicious damaged caused to them all the time - worth a try (I meant a trip to the scrappy)

chiffer
18-02-06, 01:35 PM
Did the rover main dealer say that??

Yes he did. The first time they had spares, but know they have`nt for the faults it had. This was a top of the range Rover, you know, lots of toys and toys get broken. Drivers seat is all electronic movement and thats one bit that has gone wrong twice. Took them 8 months to get this part when it first broke. Seat will now not move again, and there is no manual overide. Problem solved now, though at a price. We have bitten the bullit and sold the car. Had to take a loss but it`s gone. Did it now rather than later as if it had had a serious breakdown with no replacement parts he would have been up sheet creek with out a paddle. Could have tried scrap yards for spares, but the car would have been off the road too long, and we could not afford that. Suppose thats life.:(

RichardG
18-02-06, 01:40 PM
Don't know if this helps but rimmer brothers now supply MG rover spares

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/stoppress/mgrover.htx

Clarkson
18-02-06, 02:16 PM
Shame really that they folded up, there actually quite good cars, the only problems where the tossers that put them together at the factory! I did work for them for 6 years!

wilf
18-02-06, 04:54 PM
I understand that second hand parts can be bought from www.rovaparts.co.uk

Also, Xpart, the outfit that deals with Rover spares, was quoted as saying pretty much "problem, what spares problem?" in the telegraph motoring section today.

Luck in your search