PDA

View Full Version : hum hum hum..

plod
21-02-06, 02:41 PM
My hard drive/tower thing/where you put floppy siscs and cd' has started humming. Almost like there's something against it. I've checked and there is nothing against it.. I tihnk humming is the right word for it.

It's definitely internal and it's annoying!

Help! (Ken?) :D

plod
21-02-06, 03:13 PM
IT'S STOPPED...

RARRRGHHH UGHHH...!:rolleyes:

tarmacscratcher
21-02-06, 03:44 PM
Could be the bearings in the cooling fan about to go :)

Robin427
21-02-06, 05:05 PM
Could be either the case cooling fan or the processor cooling fan (or even the graphics card fan). If you know how to look inside the case, then do so with it switched on and check that the fans are working - my processor cooling fan failed and the computer kept crashing, eventually taking the hard disk with it...

shadow
21-02-06, 05:36 PM
If you open it up, have a look for dust. The fans usualy get cloged up and a bit can get cought between the blades and the fan housing. I usualy hover it out every year, but what ever you do, dont use the brush adaptor on the hoover as it could produce static! Use the flat long thing and be gentle!!

Unplug it before you do this too.... lol

Robin427
21-02-06, 06:05 PM
Unplug it before you do this too.... lol

Actually, I prefer to leave mine plugged in, but switched off - at least everything is grounded then!!

shadow
21-02-06, 06:13 PM
Yep ur right! I added that bit quickly.

plod
21-02-06, 07:34 PM
Thank you all.

Taking things apart? Looking inside? Doing stuff? errr.. not thanks..

ha ha :o

Robin427
21-02-06, 07:38 PM
A lot of modern towers have cases you can open without needing a screwdriver - they just unclip. Older cases normally have about 6 screws at the back which lets you take the outer casing off - it's really not a technical job. If the computer is that new, take it back to the shop and get them to look at it. For a temporary solution, hold a vacuum up to the fan inlet and switch it on - this might suck out some dust

plod
21-02-06, 07:45 PM
Robin maybe you could use your big mouth (ha ha.. :D) and just blow from where you are.

I'm strapped to my chair mate. Go on..

TINKA
21-02-06, 07:48 PM
Robin maybe you could use your big mouth (ha ha.. :D) and just blow from where you are.

I'm strapped to my chair mate. Go on..
Yes Jimmy (Paul ) but that would be Hot air and I thought you were supposed to keep computers cool :eek: :eek:

plod
21-02-06, 07:52 PM
Yes Jimmy (Paul ) but that would be Hot air and I thought you were supposed to keep computers cool :eek: :eek:

ha ha ha ha........rolling...floor.... off..