PDA

View Full Version : Do 'temporary' dashes pass?

bitsilly
21-02-06, 07:13 PM
With all the SVA rules, I think my Ram will have raised indicators, cushionless seats, no windscreen, jacked up suspension and a number of other measures to pass SVA!
Suffice to say 'finishing' work will be required after the test!
But the dash..
I dislike the SVA friendly switches, I would like to have a hinged panel over the Racelogic panel, and don't want to initially worry too much about dual purpose warning lights etc.
So, I am planning on a temporary dash. Possibly padded so I have a greater choice of dials etc.
I was just wondering do many do this and how pretty it has to be? Is MDF or ply OK and does it have to be thick and ridgid and so on. If it is passable but blatently temporary will the man be upset?
Any advice or sucess stories would be appreciated!:) :)

Hypothetically of course;)

TINKA
21-02-06, 07:22 PM
Depends how temporary it looks.:rolleyes:

Grease Monkey
21-02-06, 07:24 PM
I think the SVA man is not in a position to comment on the finish of your dashboard. If you want a plywood one, he's in no position to fail you on it. As long as it complys with the letter of the law, and is DURABLE it should pass.

Things like un covered foam padding, sticky tape / duck tape and easily breakable bits will fail as they're deamed to be temporary.

Purple AK
21-02-06, 07:47 PM
Worked for me ;) I made a tempory dash out of ply, with an inner layer so the gauges were recessed. Covered in a cheap bit of vynal with a length of round rubber channel section around the passenger lower edge

RobinH
21-02-06, 07:59 PM
An article I read recently pointed out the obvious, when you think about it. You don’t need all the dials for SVA. Apart from the essential warning lights, all you really need is a speed indicator which can be provided by a diddy cycle one if calibrated up and placed behind the steering wheel. Many have done this I gather to limit the possible issues and allow full scope to do what you want after the test.

bitsilly
22-02-06, 09:57 AM
Some good ideas there, thanks. The Ram body has quite a bit of Dash surface as part of the bodywork, maybe enough to use for a single dial and some switches!
Be good if hose and a small speedo gets me through!

Thanks

Ed

Robin427
22-02-06, 02:57 PM
Is a purely GPS based speedo acceptable, out of interest, or does it have to be linked to the wheels? I suppose that testing it at the SVA centre could prove a bit difficult...

kdavies3
22-02-06, 06:48 PM
The speedo will have to be transmission or wheel based, as a GPS one will show zero on the rollers during the test. :mad:

Grease Monkey
22-02-06, 07:25 PM
I'm guessing a GPS one would suffer somewhat in long tunnels, or possibly deep valleys around the alps etc.

I know when we used to do high accuracy airbourne terrain mapping we were forever at the mercy of the GPS signal strength and number fo satellites in view. (For the ground station, not the airbourne one!)

mylesdw
22-02-06, 07:28 PM
The speedo will have to be transmission or wheel based, as a GPS one will show zero on the rollers during the test. :mad:

An interesting point though: the GPS is entirely accurate when it shows zero on the rollers it is the wheel driven speedo that shows the wrong value!

RobinH
22-02-06, 08:01 PM
An interesting point though: the GPS is entirely accurate when it shows zero on the rollers it is the wheel driven speedo that shows the wrong value!

Everything is relative!
Whilst 'stationary' on the earth's surface we are all travelling at about 1600 Km/h relative to ......the sun I guess due to earth revolving and orbits and stuff like that!
If your speedo's a little out of calibation, try telling the examiner that it's all due to the current alignment of jupiter! ;)

Grease Monkey
22-02-06, 08:17 PM
I think if you tried that the examiner might start on about uranus.. :p