PDA

View Full Version : Another new Viper owner

hardhat_harry
21-02-06, 11:33 PM
Just bought a rather mouldy body and chassis that had been in someones garden/garage for a while. The guys on the forum have identified it as a Viper and sent me here (feels like I been sent to the corner of the class for being naughty ;) )

Has anyone got any build instructions for the Viper as I dont know where to start?

If you want to see the pictires they're on the discussions forum under can anyone identify this kit.

Cheers

Miket
21-02-06, 11:35 PM
Just bought a rather mouldy body and chassis that had been in someones garden/garage for a while. The guys on the forum have identified it as a Viper and sent me here (feels like I been sent to the corner of the class for being naughty ;) )

Has anyone got any build instructions for the Viper as I dont know where to start?

If you want to see the pictires they're on the discussions forum under can anyone identify this kit.

Cheers
No, your still in the same place as before, just on a different page. ;) ;) :D :D

steamyrotter
21-02-06, 11:39 PM
Hi mate.

Manuals for a viper are very few and far between.

Or more than likely non existant.

The best source for what you need is right here within the club.

i have a copy of a build manual which i am taking some info from but it is not viper specific.
Also try to get hold of the SVA manual (there is a draft copy available). As long as you build to that you'll be OK.

Best bit of advice i can give is not to panic or worry.

These take a little longer to sort but give great satisfaction when things come together.

BUT overall don't be afraid to ask a question. It will be highly unlikely that someone has not come across a solution for anything you can come up with.

Cheers

osgood
21-02-06, 11:46 PM
Harry I loaned my Viper manual to another guy in Belgium but quite frankly even if you had one it would be of no benefit although large it was full of S-itte.

Osgood :)

hardhat_harry
21-02-06, 11:47 PM
I have got 1 chassis with a granada rear axle and diff fitted and front axle not fitted and one body without doors, bonnet and boot plus 1 x 2.9 cologne engine and 3.5 rover engine.

The first question is where do I start I am assuming suspension and brakes.

The engine bay seems very bare where do I get brackets for battery, master cylinders etc. and how do I locate where they should go?

Iain
21-02-06, 11:48 PM

Cheers
Hi and welcome to the mad house!! :D

Have a look at my page (http://www.fake-snake.co.uk/) it's well out of date but you'll see that you're not alone. There are loads of us Viper builders around and happy to help. drop me a pm with you're e-mail address and I'll send you some more details etc.

hardhat_harry
21-02-06, 11:48 PM
and an auto gearbox (first thing thats going in the round filey thing called bin)

TINKA
21-02-06, 11:50 PM
Get in touch with Iain he has a manual although like as has been said, it is pretty useless:eek: ( according to Iain as I have not really looked at it ). Another good tip is to get in contact with Iain I am sure he will post here soon as he sees this thread. Good luck and welcome to the mad house.

steamyrotter
21-02-06, 11:51 PM
Get in touch with Iain he has a manual although like as has been said, it is pretty useless:eek: ( according to Iain as I have not really looked at it ). Another good tip is to get in contact with Iain I am sure he will post here soon as he sees this thread. Good luck and welcome to the mad house.

Er he beat you to it!!!!

:D

Iain
21-02-06, 11:51 PM
Another good tip is to get in contact with Iain I am sure he will post here soon as he sees this thread. Good luck and welcome to the mad house.
Look a couple of posts up! :D:D:D

TINKA
21-02-06, 11:52 PM
Back to school to speed up my none existant typing skills:D or lack of :mad:

TINKA
21-02-06, 11:53 PM
do you mind Iain STOP BEATING ME TOO IT:mad:

Miket
21-02-06, 11:54 PM
Please you Viper guys talk to the chap, he has no boot, bonnet or doors with the body, poor bugger will end up committing suicide if he goes ahead. :mad: :mad:

hardhat_harry
21-02-06, 11:56 PM
The guy who I bought it off says the chassis and body fit together fine but after reading this forum I'm taking this with a pinch of salt

steamyrotter
21-02-06, 11:57 PM
I am pretty(!) sure cobretti doors should fit.
You may be able to get some.

maybe from Bob himself

TINKA
21-02-06, 11:57 PM
Should be able to get them from Bob Busbridge, even if they are not quite the same as whichever kit it is he has bought, they cant fit any worse than Iain, and Howard's, that goes especially for the boot and the body as it had to be cut in half so the wheels would be in the arches correctly.

hardhat_harry
22-02-06, 12:03 AM
God help me :eek:

hardhat_harry
22-02-06, 12:04 AM
Do all vipers have to go through this body chopping in half lark?

steamyrotter
22-02-06, 12:14 AM
Not all.

I think i am lucky at the moment.
But a trial fit may put paid to that.

Kevchard had to doctor the wheel arch a bit to take out 50mm offset.
I have measured mine and they seem OK.

As i said before don't panic.
Take each job as an individual and plod on

We are here to help not hinder.

cheers

TINKA
22-02-06, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't worry about the body mods that are being done to Iain and Howard's cars at the moment the finished results will look really good and the chap doing them is a real find and is well op for doing more Vipers. He now knows what he is getting into after these two and the experience and knowledge means that all future vipers that he may get will benefit from this knowledge. Good luck and like has been said just keep posting those questions and we will help where ever we can.

osgood
22-02-06, 08:36 AM
Harry, I think it fair to warn you now looking at what you have its going to be a very long road ahead, having said that its not impossible to end up with a good finished item.
Although alcoholism, divorce, mental illness and a not so flexible credit card springs to mind, you could find your Bank Manger living in! :)

As regards brackets every thing has to be made (purpose built) for your car there is not bolt together Lego type bits with this kit. As I have already said the build manual you can throw in the bin, it refers to pictures for reference but no picture and it also relates to a left hand drive most of the time.

By now with all the private Pm's and posts you are getting a picture building up although not a Vang-off I hasten to add :rolleyes: !! I don't wish to put you off and all the help you need is on this site but as Miket has said I would think carefully about what you are getting yourself into here. Not all Vipers have a short body for the chassis, how this latest drama has come about I am not sure other than so many of these items being made all over the country from time to time by different people.

Anyway Hard Hat best of luck you will need it Osgood.

hardhat_harry
22-02-06, 12:13 PM
Hi Osgood,

I am due to pick up the body and chassis on Sunday and pay the rest of the purchase price. I have left a small deposit to secure it but after all the comments I think it may be best to let the guy down and he can keep the deposit for his 'trouble'.

What do u think?

wilf
22-02-06, 01:08 PM
Harry - I have observed a fellow club member and his Viper build. It has not been a pretty sight.

I personally would not attempt one, and I have built other Cobras. There is no factory support, only what you can get from kind folks like those you find here. Every single bracket etc. that you need would have to be custom made, and no-one can tell you what spec of parts for all the runnng gear etc. works and what doesn't, again with the exceptioin of people here. Every item you mount has to be thought about, repositioned, holes drilled etc.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that a Viper build is for a very experienced kit builder with access to significant metalworking equipment (inc welding).

If that is not you, consider finding a more mainstream, maybe part-built kit like a Pilgrim, Dax, or AK ( and there are others) with a manufacturer still in existence who can hold your hand and recommend what does, and what does not, work.

As others have said, the cost to complete a kit is pretty much the same, whatever base you start from. Your proposed base does not even have bonnet, doors, or bootlid - major issues all.

If you persevere with this one, and end up with a good finished result, my hat would be off to you. Hard or otherwise.

Miket
22-02-06, 01:12 PM
After typing a reply, I have just deleted it, I agree with Wilf. :( :( :(

hfbradley01
22-02-06, 04:52 PM
Harry

I have a digital Viper Build document I can send if you want.

Cheers

hardhat_harry
22-02-06, 05:22 PM
Yes please!! I'll PM my email address

kdavies3
22-02-06, 07:47 PM
I'm with wilf and Mike here, I would walk away from this one if I were you.
Go and find a more orthodox kit. They do turn up on a fairly regulare basis.

There's no need to put yourself through all that pain that others have already warned you about. :mad:
There 's another Viper on Ebay at the moment no bids at a start of 2500, at least that one has all the panels with it.
But the Viper is never going to be aneasy road. :)

osgood
22-02-06, 08:03 PM
Hi Osgood,

I am due to pick up the body and chassis on Sunday and pay the rest of the purchase price. I have left a small deposit to secure it but after all the comments I think it may be best to let the guy down and he can keep the deposit for his 'trouble'.

What do u think?

Harry, I will be straight on the line with this one, firstly I will go along with Wilfs comments :rolleyes: and as he will tell you thats a first! :) The Viper build in normal circumstances as said is not for the faint hearted and as Wilf point out you need two degrees in mechanical engineering also be able to fabricate stuff yourself to keep the cost down. I think it fair to say with what I see you have there you are on a looser from the very start. I and the lads here will give you every help we can if you decide to go ahead, but if you have to build yourself I would seriously think of another option other than the one you have at present. Best of luck Osgood.

hardhat_harry
22-02-06, 08:08 PM
I have walked away from this one but I feel like I wasted the guys time.

I've rang him as explained all about his kit as he didn't have a clue about it.

I said if I can get him a build manual I'll forward it on to him so at least it is easier to sell as kit with build manual looks better than kit without build manual.

He may try to build it again with the manual you never know.

Thanks for all the great advice at least I dodged that bullet and I wont be as hastey next time!!!

Carry on saving!!