PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made their own toploader style shifter and/or qui

kayjayd
27-02-06, 07:46 PM
Finish Line/Cobraaccessories.com are not cheap on these items and I fancy having a go at making them myself. Anyone tried to do either or both?

Has anyone got pretty detailed close-up pictures of these parts in order for me get "inspiration" from? If the pics happen to have dimensions with them it would help me on my creative way ;)

Failing that a cheaper supplier would be handy!

kdavies3
27-02-06, 08:19 PM
Not sure about the quicklifts, but if my foggy memory serves, I think Tinka made a gear lever. :)
Quick lifts would take a bit of work out of 5mm plate or similar. Then you would need to chrome them. :)

TINKA
27-02-06, 08:57 PM
Not sure about the quicklifts, but if my foggy memory serves, I think Tinka made a gear lever. :)
Quick lifts would take a bit of work out of 5mm plate or similar. Then you would need to chrome them. :)
Quite right Kev I did make my own gear leaver with fully functioning lockout for reverse. Not got any really good pics of it :eek: I am afraid this is the only one I can find. This was on a LT77 gearbox and I will soon be making a similar setup for the Getrag box I now have.:D

osgood
27-02-06, 10:30 PM
Finish Line/Cobraaccessories.com are not cheap on these items and I fancy having a go at making them myself. Anyone tried to do either or both?

Has anyone got pretty detailed close-up pictures of these parts in order for me get "inspiration" from? If the pics happen to have dimensions with them it would help me on my creative way ;)

Failing that a cheaper supplier would be handy!
I think I can supply you with all the pictures you require. Dave Pilbeam of the 289 register originally designed this re the LT77 box and then he passed it on to the Hawkridge Guy, Jerry what's his name Osgood :)

craggle
28-02-06, 08:22 AM
The quick lifts should be very easy to make.

Do a drawing of what you want as a flat pattern (prefebly in a drawing package such as Auto Cad) then contact your local laser or water jet cutters. Send them the drawing and ask for them to be cut out in 4 or 5mm Stainless sheet.
You will then need to get the bend put in them and then just sand the edges and polish to a shine.

We use laser cutters a lot here at work and their prices are often cheaper than buying the stock material. I guess they get discounts for ordering large quantities.

Craig.

kayjayd
28-02-06, 09:38 AM
Quite right Kev I did make my own gear leaver with fully functioning lockout for reverse. Not got any really good pics of it :eek: I am afraid this is the only one I can find. This was on a LT77 gearbox and I will soon be making a similar setup for the Getrag box I now have.:D

I'm putting a getrag in mine and I'd be very interested in your setup when you do it.

kayjayd
28-02-06, 09:41 AM

Do a drawing of what you want as a flat pattern (prefebly in a drawing package such as Auto Cad) then contact your local laser or water jet cutters. Send them the drawing and ask for them to be cut out in 4 or 5mm Stainless sheet.
You will then need to get the bend put in them and then just sand the edges and polish to a shine.

We use laser cutters a lot here at work and their prices are often cheaper than buying the stock material. I guess they get discounts for ordering large quantities.

Craig.

Sounds good. A mate of mine has a flat bed water jet cutter - I think I need to buy him a few beers.

Has anyone got quicklifts fitted who would mind taking a few snaps of them and maybe the odd measurement here and there please?

Iain
28-02-06, 12:01 PM

Craig.

I have done that and sent them to S&J Motors... They are now doing them I believe....

HTH!:cool:

kayjayd
28-02-06, 01:24 PM
I have done that and sent them to S&J Motors... They are now doing them I believe....

Thanks for that Iain. Just spoken to S&J and they're sending me their price list. They also do the toploader style shifter !!!

Purple AK
28-02-06, 01:33 PM
Thanks for that Iain. Just spoken to S&J and they're sending me their price list. They also do the toploader style shifter !!!

Hawk Cars and Magnum Eng also sell them ;)

kayjayd
06-03-06, 09:37 AM

Does the attached CAD drawing look detailed enough to send to a water jet cutting place? This is the first time I've used a CAD package and have no knowledge of the dimensions required on the drawing etc. I guess if the drawing file is loaded into the water jet control software it'll read the dimensions itself from the drawing right !?!?

rich
06-03-06, 10:27 AM
Hi Kev,
Can't help with CAD I'm afraid, but I am wondering if there is enough length on the return to take into account for the fold.
If using 5mm plate i would have thought you will loose quite a bit of overall length putting a 90* bend in.

kayjayd
06-03-06, 10:39 AM
Hi Kev,
Can't help with CAD I'm afraid, but I am wondering if there is enough length on the return to take into account for the fold.
If using 5mm plate i would have thought you will loose quite a bit of overall length putting a 90* bend in.

Good point Rich. I've thought about that and allowed 4mm for the bend which was a guess I must admit. The width of the return is 30mm plus the 4mm for the bend.

All of the dimensions I've scaled from the only dimension I had to go from which was the measurement between the centre of the mounting holes on the return (60mm I believe). I've used the attached pic as scale reference.

JonnyT
06-03-06, 11:19 AM
If you have a Zeus tables book to hand it has all the bending dimensions in it including how much extra plate to allow.

kayjayd
06-03-06, 11:46 AM
If you have a Zeus tables book to hand it has all the bending dimensions in it including how much extra plate to allow.

Thanks for the tip Jonny. My engineering knowledge is close to zero so I'll do a Google on Zeus tables and see what I get.

Iain
06-03-06, 06:39 PM
I think you might be missing some dimensions, unless I'm not reading it correctly. Like the big arc for example, what Radius and where is the centrepoint referenced from etc. That's just one but I think that there are more missing.

Don't forget that the front quicklifts are bigger than the rear ones...

HTH

P.S. still looking for my drawings but no luck yet!

mylesdw
06-03-06, 08:15 PM
Does the attached CAD drawing look detailed enough to send to a water jet cutting place? This is the first time I've used a CAD package and have no knowledge of the dimensions required on the drawing etc. I guess if the drawing file is loaded into the water jet control software it'll read the dimensions itself from the drawing right !?!?

Once you have your CAD drawing, you usually export it as a .DXF file. You don't need to show dimensions because the information in the DXF is in 'real' units anyway (that the machine tool can read) but it is useful to put a couple of dimensions in so that the machine shop can verify that they've got the scaling right when they load the part.

JonnyT
06-03-06, 09:49 PM
I know this is a really stupid question but what are we actually talking about? I don't know what quick lifts are but it sounds like a shiny bit that I might very well be wanting if I knew what you were all talking about!!!!!

Happy Jim
06-03-06, 10:26 PM
I know this is a really stupid question but what are we actually talking about? I don't know what quick lifts are but it sounds like a shiny bit that I might very well be wanting if I knew what you were all talking about!!!!!

Quick Lifts (or if your in the good 'ole US of A also known as Jack Pads??)

http://www.cobraaccessories.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=80&osCsid=c46b32684bf530133c345312373ce05d

In place of the bumber overiders, used by racing cobs to hoik the car up quickly, used by Fibreglass cobs to look very bling :D

kayjayd
06-03-06, 10:38 PM
used by Fibreglass cobs to look very bling :D

Couldn't have put it better myself :D

kayjayd
06-03-06, 10:40 PM
Don't forget that the front quicklifts are bigger than the rear ones...

Ahhh, didn't know that either. Now that would've been a pain in the a**e end. Back ones smaller to stop the back end grounding over bumps I presume? Any idea how much smaller than the front?

Iain
06-03-06, 11:26 PM
Any idea how much smaller than the front?
I can't remember. Have you spoken to Stephen or John at S&J Motors yet?

Don't forget that once they are cut, folded/welded etc. that you will still have to mirror polish them (ALL 4) Unless you really like the hard work, it might be just as cheap to get them already done.

Just a thought...

kayjayd
07-03-06, 07:23 AM
I can't remember. Have you spoken to Stephen or John at S&J Motors yet?

Don't forget that once they are cut, folded/welded etc. that you will still have to mirror polish them (ALL 4) Unless you really like the hard work, it might be just as cheap to get them already done.

Just a thought...

Yeh I have 220 for 4. Finish Line are $200 + $60 shipping + UK VAT/Customs - so about 180.

My mate will cut them out etc as a favour so it's got to be cheaper that way plus I've got time to polish them and I just fancy doing myself.

rich
07-03-06, 01:47 PM
Kev,
I hate to see you struggle to get this right, unfortunately I'm next to useless with drawing and editing on my basic computer, so Ive removed a rear and front jack and scanned them, adding some dimensions on, hope this helps you a bit :rolleyes:

The width of the return (not on scan) is 30 mm on the outer side, and the 10 mm diameter holes are centred at 57 mm.

The front jack is the larger of the two.
when my batteries recharge I can email you photos if it would help further.

Ive had a right Bl**dy job trying to get this oversize file to load or to no avail (told you i was useless) so Ive put it on my site instead
http://allthingscobra.tripod.com/quickjacks/

Rich