PDA

View Full Version : Which Estate ?

davep
05-03-06, 09:49 PM
Ok, so my car is 4 years old and is starting to lose its reliability so its time for a change. Enter the car dealerships.:(

Given I've got the classic 2 kids and a dog I need a hatch or estate. I've drawn up a shortlist of potential cars which I'm test driving at the moment:

BMW 320d SE touring
Jaguar x-type 2.2dSE estate
Volvo V70 2.4D5 SE
Audi A4 Avant

The V70's getting a bit dated now, and the Jag I have heard has reliability problems ?

Has anyone got any experience of these, or want to suggest an alternative ?
As an aside, has anyone actually ordered through www.drivethedeal.com (http://www.drivethedeal.com) or know anything about them ?

thanks

Dave

robert
05-03-06, 09:54 PM
I would go for the BMW or the Avant, both very good cars. Both have a good reputaion, although BMW have recently changed their warranty mileage.

And, if you come across a BMW M5 for about 25K then let me know. :D

plod
05-03-06, 10:05 PM
[quote:445c78870d="davep"]

BMW 320d SE touring yawn
Jaguar x-type 2.2dSE estate hmmmmmmmmm
Volvo V70 2.4D5 SE ish
Audi A4 Avant hmmmmmmmm

The V70's getting a bit dated now, and the Jag I have heard has reliability problems ?

I'm sensing a diesel derivative then? I think id you're going Beemer, 330d has to take it. Jag. too many people who still say oh yeah I drive a jag..

Volvo. understated but unpretentious and likethem a lot V50..?

Audi. undecided. I just prefer 'normal' cars to be subtly styled.

Clive
05-03-06, 11:03 PM
Hi Dave I have a BMW 330d sport saloon which is a fantastic car to drive (less than 1 sec 0 - 60 than the petrol and 42 mpg) but a bit small for a family, especially the rear in the touring. I also have a 525 sport touring which is an ideal size for a family car. Less responsive to drive than the 330 in handling & power but an excellent car for long journeys. Previously I had an 1.9 tdi A4 Avant which had more space in the back than the 330. Talking from experience I would opt for the larger car as the older the kids get the more room you will need.
Clive

Grease Monkey
06-03-06, 06:15 AM
Silent Partner, mini monkey & I have an 02 A4 Avant 1.9tdi.

Thought it would never happen, but the Spitfire, X1-9 & Esprit have had to go to make room for a diesel estate. :( :(

That said, so far (we've had it 10 months) there've been no problems. Took it up to Kendal over the weekend and despite the blizzards and traffic got 54mpg.

Nice fast, economic, solid safe car.

David Large
06-03-06, 06:47 AM
I just changed a 320d touring for a new 330d ditto.
The new shape car is a bit bigger inside but both are great. The 330d engine is terrific.
My 320 didn't miss a beat in the 3 yrs I had it. The 330 has had a computer problemin the first 2000 miles......the cruise control packed up.
Would recommend either

wilf
06-03-06, 08:10 AM
The Volvo V70 was the most comfortable car I have had for a long long time on long journeys. Much more space for people than 3 series or the others on your list. It is a bigger car than any of those.

Never missed a beat, swallowed everything I crammed into it, was totally competent if not exciting - but what family estate really is (don't start quoting AMG E class at me either - we are talking real world)?

Just don't go for the larger diameter wheels. - ruin the ride, increase road noise, and cost more??

plod
06-03-06, 08:35 AM
Aaaaaaaa Volvo runners unite.

Still have a T5-R Estate. Love it though it is getting on a bit and starting to cost quite a few pounds but could never get rid of it.

As to economy, well, on a run at silly sensible speed, its about 30mpg, and around town around 19 ish..

fab168
06-03-06, 08:43 AM
I know this isn't on your list but you can pick up a top spec rover 75 tourer with all the extras for about 6500. Parts are no problem and servicing can be done anywhere that knows there stuff. A lot of car for no much money.
I got mine 4 months ago and it is a fantastic car - 2.5ltr V6 with 40,000mile on a 51plate.
Just an alternative.
From fabian

oglyoodoo
06-03-06, 10:20 AM
I have driven a V70 about 10 times, each about 1600 miles abroad, at times in the middle of Winter at -27degs. Absolutely super car, very reliable, comfortable and never missed a beat. Even slept in it several times with the engine ticking over all night. Also had a Volvo 850 for 10 years which is what the V70 is based on and agree with Wilf a really comfortable car. He who will inherit the Cob still has it and at 116,000 miles has had very few problems and never needed a drop of oil.
As I couldn't get another new 850 and didn't like the new Volvo's I replaced it with a 3 litre X type and frankly it is definately not as comfortable as the Volvo but that's to be expected as the ride is much firmer but it goes round corners like it's on rails. As far as reliability goes I know of another X type owner who has had quite a few problems but his is an early model and supposedly the early reliability problems, which always give a car a bad name, are supposed to have been fixed. Mine is now 30 months old and apart from a very small oil leak on the gearbox to rear prop shaft oil seal and a dicky switch that kept telling me the boot was open when it wasn't, both of which were fixed it has been fine. It certainly goes quite well....In fact I quite like it....
I had on loan a diesel 2.0 or 2.5 litre version (can't remember which) X type and that thing pulled like a train within a certain rev range. HTH

Denis

plod
06-03-06, 11:01 AM
Or Saab? friends has the 3L diesel. Likes it muchly.

David Large
06-03-06, 04:52 PM
The Honda Accord estate is supposed to be good. Although I like my BMW 330d touring it might not be big enough for two kids AND a dog.
My kids have grown up and gone (well gone) so I no longer need a bigger car.
I think the BMW's are a great drive.

Clarkson
06-03-06, 04:59 PM
A4 avant any TDI!! Great car, as i work for them.:p :p

dinosoar
06-03-06, 05:22 PM
My vote is for the Honda . Although you could pick up a Diesel Montego for a fiver and get a Daytona as well.

Well most of a Daytona anyway.

Andy

davep
06-03-06, 09:52 PM
Thanks all

Interesting to see what everyone else drives when not in the cobra, and glad not too much p*** taking about the volvo and jag. Will take a look at the saab and honda, but may give the montego a miss !

Never had a diesel before, but from all I read the engines have really come on, and as I do in excess of 20k a year I guess they are likely to be cheaper to run in the long run (as long as diesel doesn't continue to escalate in price above unleaded !).

Robert I can get you an M for about 25k, but 6 years old and 60k on the clock ...... Otherwise I know someone very close to home with a 51plate 318tourer going for about 8k !

cheers all, I will continue my fun with the sales men, but I'll certainly be looking a certain member up for a BIG discount if I go the audi route ....... :D

Dave

David Large
07-03-06, 06:39 AM
Economy & diesels?

The 320d I changed in December AVERAGED 46.2 mpg over the 60,000+ miles I did in it.

As a 4cyl diesel, you could tell it was a diesel when you started it but on the move it was fine. The 6cyl 3 litre diesel I have now sounds really good inside the car........not at all like a diesel.

westborne
07-03-06, 06:59 AM
If you have a family the Audi A4 is too small

Go for the Audi A6 either 1.9 or 2.5 diesel estate
I presume you are looking 2nd hand

The newer 1.9diesel is 130bhp and you will get 50mpg and they pull well

They are tricky to find but well worth chasing down

the 2.5 diesel pulls like a train and you should get over 40mpg.

I missed one recently for under 10k with 80K on the clock 3yrs old on ebay.

Dont be frightened by high mileages as long as they have a solid service history.

Good Luck!

Me ? I bought a Merc C 250 Estate on Ebay !! So far after two weeks and 3000miles I get just under 40mpg!!

plod
07-03-06, 07:02 AM
Saab.......

westborne
07-03-06, 07:08 AM
Yup Paul

Saab is good - only bought the Merc cos it was one owner full MBSH and Cheap!!

Looked at Saab - couldnt find one in my price range !!

See you at the classic ?

plod
07-03-06, 07:55 AM
Yup Paul

Saab is good - only bought the Merc cos it was one owner full MBSH and Cheap!!

Looked at Saab - couldnt find one in my price range !!

See you at the classic ?

Saab. Even the newer ones suffer hefty depreciation.

And yes, see you at the Classic, and maybe Stoneleigh and maybe Dettling :cool:

Neil O
07-03-06, 11:54 AM
Don't buy the Honda Accord Estate. I had the 2.4 VTEC Exec, and it was crap. It eats front tyres, has no grip, it's too light on the front end and track steers like a snake in a waggon rut. Noisey too. Oh, and another thing, they get hit really hard in the back by Transit vans. (well mine did anyway).
I now have a BMW 330 M-sport Touring, the dog gonads! I agree that the diesel version would be a better option for most people though, I only average about 22 mpg.
Having said that, the Honda was about 10k cheaper than the beemer.
Don't forget you need the BMW Driver Training Course as well, it comes in the form of a key..........................;)

David Large
07-03-06, 04:55 PM
My 330 diesel with much used performance which I think is very close to the 330 petrol is currently showing a 40mpg average.

dinosoar
07-03-06, 07:14 PM
I have run an Audi A4 1.9tdi for the last three years or so.
It averages 56mpg however it is driven! It has saved me no end on fuel in my commuting.
I do have to make sure that I don't park to near to the farm diesel tank though. The temptation is getting very very strong....
I am also tempted to have a go at making your own diesel.
Andy

RobKidd
07-03-06, 07:40 PM
I think you should test drive and Audi 2.5tdi avant quattro,you will never want for anything else.
Had mine for years ,now superchipped,different turbo etc,still returns 30-45mpg,and drives sooo well and frightens many a sports car off.
Do not be put off with higher mileages,no inherent defects at all.

Happy shopping

Regards
Rob.

davep
07-03-06, 07:57 PM
Had quick look at saab last night on the net, putting aside a slightly higher depreciation level, the reliability stats on What Car web site seemed quite low.

Probably looking at new, at this time of year dealers seem to be prepared to drop more than usual, approaching or reaching nearly new prices without really negotiating too hard so far.

Taking the jag out on saturday, then volvo and bmw sunday hopefully. As much as I would like the 330d, out of my price range unless I go for the older model. Will pop around to our local audi dealer later in the week to see what they have got going.:D

dave

Clive
07-03-06, 11:18 PM
Had quick look at saab last night on the net, putting aside a slightly higher depreciation level, the reliability stats on What Car web site seemed quite low.

Probably looking at new, at this time of year dealers seem to be prepared to drop more than usual, approaching or reaching nearly new prices without really negotiating too hard so far.

Taking the jag out on saturday, then volvo and bmw sunday hopefully. As much as I would like the 330d, out of my price range unless I go for the older model. Will pop around to our local audi dealer later in the week to see what they have got going.:D

dave
Hi Dave, if going for an older 330di then try to get the late 2003 model which has the 6 speed gearbox & 204bhp engine. The sports suspension makes it a great car to drive, but with the low profile tyres you will feel every bump on the road. If you are looking for a more comfortable car for long journeys then the SE might be a better bet. Incidentally I had an Audi A4 TDI Quattro for a couple of years and it was a great car, the only gripe I had about it was the transmissin tunnel rubbed my left knee and was really irritating on a long journey.
Clive.

David Large
08-03-06, 06:08 AM

dave

Be interested in your views on the Jag. I am a big fan of Jags and tried a 2.2 diesel.

davep
12-03-06, 06:03 PM
Be interested in your views on the Jag. I am a big fan of Jags and tried a 2.2 diesel.

Returned the Jaguar today after having it for the weekend. It was only the 2.0 diesel unfortunately, and you noticed the lack of grunt compared to the 2.2 diesel. The engine was also a lot noisier than the 2.2 as well.So if I go this route the 2.2 would be the one. It was the SE and not the sport, so the ride was not as firm as my current BMW, but it was a comfortable cruiser on the motorway and the handling was ok. The seats weren't the greatest comfort wise, and I think you would need to take the extra lumbar support option. Rear space/leg room seemed greater than the BMW, but rear visibility was not as good. The general feel of the cabin was good as you would expect and felt solid, the SE also comes with satnav as standard which is useful. The very kind lady does tend to talk alot though !!!, and as she cuts out the radio this was a little annoying when being navigated around town (but she did get me where I asked her to so that was an improvement on the last model .....). There were a few bits of quite cheap feeling plastic in the cabin (e.g. on the steering wheel) which did let the overall feel down slightly. It seems like a good car though, and as its based on the mondeo chassis has a bit of history behind it ! It still on the shortlist - just !

Also took the wife to see the new BMW today - she took a bit of a dislike to it ! so that looks like its off the options list. I think I will also give the V70 a miss, I do like it, but as its nearly 6 years old and a new model due next year its a lot to spend.

We have taken a liking to the Audi A6, and at present I think it may just be edging it ... test drive later this week.:D

Dave

mylesdw
12-03-06, 06:36 PM
Guys, please stop it! What would a visitor to this site think if he saw that the main thread over the weekend concerned diesel estate cars. I realise these things have to be discussed sometime but surely this forum is not the place. Perhaps the Which Dishwasher forum would be a better location. Where's a moderator when you need one...

Clarkson
12-03-06, 07:35 PM
Returned the Jaguar today after having it for the weekend. It was only the 2.0 diesel unfortunately, and you noticed the lack of grunt compared to the 2.2 diesel. The engine was also a lot noisier than the 2.2 as well.So if I go this route the 2.2 would be the one. It was the SE and not the sport, so the ride was not as firm as my current BMW, but it was a comfortable cruiser on the motorway and the handling was ok. The seats weren't the greatest comfort wise, and I think you would need to take the extra lumbar support option. Rear space/leg room seemed greater than the BMW, but rear visibility was not as good. The general feel of the cabin was good as you would expect and felt solid, the SE also comes with satnav as standard which is useful. The very kind lady does tend to talk alot though !!!, and as she cuts out the radio this was a little annoying when being navigated around town (but she did get me where I asked her to so that was an improvement on the last model .....). There were a few bits of quite cheap feeling plastic in the cabin (e.g. on the steering wheel) which did let the overall feel down slightly. It seems like a good car though, and as its based on the mondeo chassis has a bit of history behind it ! It still on the shortlist - just !

Also took the wife to see the new BMW today - she took a bit of a dislike to it ! so that looks like its off the options list. I think I will also give the V70 a miss, I do like it, but as its nearly 6 years old and a new model due next year its a lot to spend.

We have taken a liking to the Audi A6, and at present I think it may just be edging it ... test drive later this week.:D

Dave

Dave, let me know what spec audi you fancy and will try and get a great price for you!

Miket
12-03-06, 07:42 PM
Guys, please stop it! What would a visitor to this site think if he saw that the main thread over the weekend concerned diesel estate cars. I realise these things have to be discussed sometime but surely this forum is not the place. Perhaps the Which Dishwasher forum would be a better location. Where's a moderator when you need one...
It's in the correct place (The Cockpit) you don't have to read it. :confused: :mad:

TonyD
12-03-06, 08:57 PM
I have run an Audi A4 1.9tdi for the last three years or so.
It averages 56mpg however it is driven! It has saved me no end on fuel in my commuting.
I do have to make sure that I don't park to near to the farm diesel tank though. The temptation is getting very very strong....
I am also tempted to have a go at making your own diesel.
Andy

Three words.

Central Heating Oil.............

Cheers,

Tony

Clarkson
12-03-06, 09:01 PM
Three words.

Central Heating Oil.............

Cheers,

Tony

Chip fat frying oil is cheaper!:D :D

davep
12-03-06, 09:05 PM
Dave, let me know what spec audi you fancy and will try and get a great price for you!

Cheers, Very kind of you, I'll PM you with details - although I think I've changed to petrol and saloon now (due to budget)!;)

Good to hear from you Tony, have you got either of the cobs on the road yet. Once again sorry about the handbrake, if you haven't got rid of it let me know.

Dave

rich
12-03-06, 09:57 PM
Chip fat frying oil is cheaper!:D :D

So does anyone know for sure whether i can put sunflower/vegetable oil straight into my diesel tank with out any mods needed even if i all ready have diesel in the tank,
of course i will be declaring this to the tax man ;)

Clarkson
12-03-06, 10:07 PM
So does anyone know for sure whether i can put sunflower/vegetable oil straight into my diesel tank with out any mods needed even if i all ready have diesel in the tank,

Yes you can! I use it to fill up new fuel filters:D :D You can use a bit of white spirt to thin it down!

wilf
13-03-06, 07:58 AM
I believe there is an accepted formula - 1 litre kerosene to x litres cooking oil. Can't recall the exact mix, but I guess the web is the place to find it.

TonyD
13-03-06, 08:46 AM
Cheers, Very kind of you, I'll PM you with details - although I think I've changed to petrol and saloon now (due to budget)!;)

Good to hear from you Tony, have you got either of the cobs on the road yet. Once again sorry about the handbrake, if you haven't got rid of it let me know.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just sorting out the steering column on the first Lexus and then it'll be ready for a pootle up and down the road outside my house....got to sell the Beemer Cobra before starting mine however.

No worries about the handbrake I sold it to another builder months back.

Cheers,

Tony

Clarkson
13-03-06, 05:04 PM

Dave

Dave you have PM.:D

Purple AK
13-03-06, 05:34 PM
Not quite that simple Rich ;) http://www.schnews.org.uk/diyguide/howtomakebiodiesel.htm

rich
13-03-06, 05:43 PM
Not quite that simple Rich ;) http://www.schnews.org.uk/diyguide/howtomakebiodiesel.htm

yeh i know ive been nosing around some sites myself :mad:

sods law int'it nowts ever that simple that could save money,
still i don't think the odd litre or two mixed in a full tank every hundred miles or so will hurt:D

robert
13-03-06, 07:09 PM
Robert I can get you an M for about 25k, but 6 years old and 60k on the clock ...... Otherwise I know someone very close to home with a 51plate 318tourer going for about 8k !

Dave

Thanks for the offer, but I may have found one.

2002 M5 with 73K for 19K. Its the right colour, and has some nice options too.