PDA

View Full Version : When Being Politically Correct Gets Ugly

Miket
07-03-06, 02:02 PM
Well I've heard it all now, where will it end. :mad: :mad: :mad:

In the age of political correctness, even the nursery-rhyme it seems is unsafe after a school in Birmingham was told to stop teaching the song 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' because ``of racial undertones''. Look I am all about being sensitive and ****, when it is appropriate to be sensitive but my God, Baa Baa Black Sheep racist?

I mean I can see if the song was written as a tune to tease enslaved African’s or something but damn, the song was written in 1275 about 200 years before the African Slave Diaspora even began and it was written in protest to a wool tax. A spokes person from the Independent Working Group on racism in Children’s Resources in favor of the ban says that ``Whenever the word black is attached to another word it creates a negative meaning which can make children feel embarrassed and confused about their identity,”

Nope.

What makes people confused about their identity is when people have no clue about their cultural identity and history are so have to attach their racial or cultural self-worth to Hollywood propagandized material designed to entertain not to educate. Birmingham city council issued the advice guidelines drawn up by an independent schools advisory body claiming ``the history of the rhyme is very negative and also very offensive to black people due to fact it originates from slavery''.
Sorry dumb ass, but it doesn’t originate from slavery, as a matter of fact, it has absolutely nothing to do with slavery. Just because little white kids rub a black kids nappy head when they sing about wool doesn’t mean that the song is racist, it just means that kid is a dick.

This is an incident involving a fucked up interpretation of a song that has caused a lot of harm, not a case of the song being created to cause harm. This is no different than when Puffy sampled “Every Breath You Take” from the Police, here was a perfectly good song bastardized by the old Puff Gangster and caused the world a whole lot of unnecessary grief.

plod
07-03-06, 02:36 PM
Well I've heard it all now, where will it end. :mad: :mad: :mad:

In the age of political correctness, even the nursery-rhyme it seems is unsafe after a school in Birmingham was told to stop teaching the song 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' because ``of racial undertones''. Look I am all about being sensitive and ****, when it is appropriate to be sensitive but my God, Baa Baa Black Sheep racist?

I mean I can see if the song was written as a tune to tease enslaved African’s or something but damn, the song was written in 1275 about 200 years before the African Slave Diaspora even began and it was written in protest to a wool tax. A spokes person from the Independent Working Group on racism in Children’s Resources in favor of the ban says that ``Whenever the word black is attached to another word it creates a negative meaning which can make children feel embarrassed and confused about their identity,”

Nope.

What makes people confused about their identity is when people have no clue about their cultural identity and history are so have to attach their racial or cultural self-worth to Hollywood propagandized material designed to entertain not to educate. Birmingham city council issued the advice guidelines drawn up by an independent schools advisory body claiming ``the history of the rhyme is very negative and also very offensive to black people due to fact it originates from slavery''.
Sorry dumb ass, but it doesn’t originate from slavery, as a matter of fact, it has absolutely nothing to do with slavery. Just because little white kids rub a black kids nappy head when they sing about wool doesn’t mean that the song is racist, it just means that kid is a dick.

This is an incident involving a fucked up interpretation of a song that has caused a lot of harm, not a case of the song being created to cause harm. This is no different than when Puffy sampled “Every Breath You Take” from the Police, here was a perfectly good song bastardized by the old Puff Gangster and caused the world a whole lot of unnecessary grief.
Agree...........! Things are never racist, sexist, ageist until someone thinks there might be an issue. up until that point, no one has a clue or is even bothered.

Motty said something along this effect when he was comentating on a game and a black player passed it to a black player. Motty saying 'he's passed it to... ugh who is it (chuckle) I cant tell, they look the same to me from here... (further chuckle..) Would anyone argue with that??

Is it only this country that does it? It is just one of the most irate things ever,,,

crockett
07-03-06, 02:59 PM
GGrrrrr - dont get me going.... we seem to be the only country that doesnt allow residents to hang up a St.George flag or Union flag because it might cause offense. Go to USA and every house has a flag outside and i dare say most european countries as well. As taxi drivers we are now told we cannot wear football shirts in case these cause offense (ie England) it seems we are not allowed to be proud to be British or English any more ?? and you can't tell kids off nowadays or clip em round the ear "cos they know their rights" so on and so on. I did say dont get me started, so i'll stop now. ooer i could crush a grape.

the rock doc
07-03-06, 03:04 PM
I cant tell, they look the same to me from here... (further chuckle..) Would anyone argue with that??

I have to go through this every day as I am working in Nigeria.:( :( :(

Bad news: it's absolutely p******* it down!!!!

Good news: It's 30 degrees warmer than the UK!!!!!:D :D

Robin427
07-03-06, 04:19 PM
....Union flag...

At last, a fellow pedant who doesn't say "Union jack"...

dingocooke
07-03-06, 04:23 PM
There is only one section of UK society that can be openly prejudiced against, that is anyone who is a white, able bodied, working male.

Its about time the equality laws were re written to cover this group of people.

Pick on any other section of our society and the weight of the law may fall upon you.

And before any smart Alec lawyer says this is a racist comment, its a statement of my opinion; based on my right to free speech.

All this PC politics is the work of a vocal minority, who are actively prejudicing against the silent majority; most of this 'work' being done by 'quango' and local council employees, who are funded by all of us.

Remember to bring this up with your chosen candidate when you vote!!:D :rolleyes:

Neil O
07-03-06, 04:31 PM
There is only one section of UK society that can be openly prejudiced against, that is anyone who is a white, able bodied, working male.

Its about time the equality laws were re written to cover this group of people.

Pick on any other section of our society and the weight of the law may fall upon you.

And before any smart Alec lawyer says this is a racist comment, its a statement of my opinion; based on my right to free speech.

All this PC politics is the work of a vocal minority, who are actively prejudicing against the silent majority; most of this 'work' being done by 'quango' and local council employees, who are funded by all of us.

Remember to bring this up with your chosen candidate when you vote!!:D :rolleyes:

I find it hard to choose between the w4nker and the other w4nker, oh and the other w4nker who's got no chance of winning anyway. :mad:

dingocooke
07-03-06, 04:51 PM
I find it hard to choose between the w4nker and the other w4nker, oh and the other w4nker who's got no chance of winning anyway. :mad:

But we wont get anywhere with the top men, they're out of reach and out of touch with grass roots opinion.
We (ie the sleeping silent majority) have to exert pressure at local level; my local MP has a great email list, and many others do.
When something stupid/infuriating/irrational happens, I email him, and its surprising how it has an effect; most local MPs have a list you can join, and if more people did the same, things could change. You dont need to be a party member or even vote for the MP concerned; theyre still your representative, so exert friendly pressure!!
Now I'm not making any promises, but one thing is for certain, if we all carry accepting it as unavoidable, then the vocal minority will have it their own way!!

Cheers

Steve:D

Chimeara
07-03-06, 07:06 PM
going back to the original post regarding rhymes and tunes the one involving the farmers has a wife is also under threat. It is apparently racist to homosexual groups and is therefore being changed to the farmer has a partner.

This is just madness and before you Neil O start no im not gay.

Anthony

Robin427
07-03-06, 07:09 PM
Jesus H Christ, it's not even "Sheep Sheep" any more:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4782856.stm

hardhat_harry
07-03-06, 08:42 PM
I don't know if its been mentioned on this forum before but if you go to

www.faxyourmp.com (http://www.faxyourmp.com)

it does what it says on the tin.

You can also look how much they have claimed in expenses and how many questions they have raised in the house and lots of other stuff

Neil O
08-03-06, 08:00 AM
going back to the original post regarding rhymes and tunes the one involving the farmers has a wife is also under threat. It is apparently racist to homosexual groups and is therefore being changed to the farmer has a partner.

This is just madness and before you Neil O start no im not gay.

Anthony

'Methinks the lady doest protest too much' ;)

westborne
08-03-06, 10:26 AM
Anthony

You are far too young to have prejudices !!

And I agree with Neil.

stevee8
08-03-06, 12:58 PM
Mike,

Yes it’s stupid.

We can only hope there’s a small light at the end of the tunnel – a chink perhaps.
Just don’t get in a paddy about it and don't treat it as an excuse to give everyone in Birmingham black looks.
I sense you are browned off but loosen off your jock strap and let it all hang out.
Alternatively, frogmarch to the sweet jar and suck on a taffy !!!

:D :D

Miket
08-03-06, 01:37 PM
Alternatively, frogmarch to the sweet jar and suck on a taffy !!!

:D :D
Or bite the heads of Black Jelly babies, they where my favorite. ;) ;) :D