PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing a heater in (Ram)

bitsilly
09-03-06, 05:24 PM
I now have a Spitfire heater which I plan to fit central behind the dash. A couple of questions though!:D

Is it enough to just space the rear (intake) face of the heater say a cm from the bulkhead or does it need holes into the engine bay?

There is no adjustable valve to slow/stop the water flowing through the heater matrix. Is it acceptable to just have the matrix on full flow all the time and just have a control on the fan speed.

Lastly, is the heater matrix normally plumbed in in series with the main radiator (not possible then to use a closing valve for the heater matrix) or is there some other way (a separate parallel circuit??). I am fitting a Chevy 383.

Thanks in advance, I can't find this out anywhere!:confused:

Ed

Miket
09-03-06, 05:34 PM
Ed

Separate system from rad, one pipe from the top of water pump and return into inlet manifold, so a valve on the inlet into the heater won't be a problem.

bitsilly
09-03-06, 05:45 PM
Cheers, I was worried that if the matrix sprung a leak I would drown and the car would melt.
For the valve, are they all cable controlled and mounted like an MG or mini? Or can I just leave it full open all the time?
Sorry if this is stupid!

dingocooke
09-03-06, 05:45 PM
Neil, Just as mike says. Dont bother with a shut off tap, the heaters hardly gouing to cook you when on, when its off, no through flow =no discrenable heat!
Steve

dingocooke
09-03-06, 05:55 PM
Agree with Mike, separate system from rad, one pipe from the top of water pump and return into inlet manifold, there is no need for a valve as the spitfire heater doesnt give out much heat when the fan is on, and when its off there is no perceptible heat in the cockpit.
If you want a pic let me know but mine is a ford, although not that much difference pipework wise.
Steve

bitsilly
09-03-06, 06:16 PM
Cheers. that sounds good to me as I'd wanted the controls to be puritan. Thanks for the offer of photos but I guess the Ram is too different. If any Ram owners out there could let me know how the inlet is set up I'll be fully sorted!
Thanks all.
Ed

dingocooke
09-03-06, 08:33 PM
errr, mine is a RAM....let me know if you want pics

dingocooke
09-03-06, 08:44 PM
Ed, Heres a pic for you, pretty similar to Chevy set up Id say

Miket
09-03-06, 09:21 PM
I don't know if my post has been missread, but I do have a shut off valve on the inlet, even with the fan off the Polo heater throws out a lot of heat, I have no cable on mine, I just switch it of under the bonnet as and when it's not needed. ;) :D

bitsilly
10-03-06, 06:49 PM
Sorry Steve! I know yours is a Ram! I meant the conections on a Ford would be too different (to the Chevy). By inlets I mean the set up behind the dash. I don't suppose you have any pictures of behind the dash? Did you use the heater as supplied? It looks like the hard pipe connections protrude enough to make the smallness negated!! ie it would have to be quite a way back from the bulkhead presuming those fittings point forward. Also it has no bleed facility and the inlets are low down??

Mike, I have a polo heater but with no plenum chamber for air outlets. I see what you mean about the valve, very neat and built in. I will possibly use the valve mounted remotely in conjunction with the Spitfire set up unless I find an off the shelf item. Polo also has a neat bleed valve and looks like it would really help cooling if stuck in a traffic jam (much more than spitfire one).

I would like to use the polo if I can get it to fit but what plenum do people use, it looked like polo it came from used the entire dash as a plenum chamber??

Ideally I will attach it to the spitfire chamber with its matrix and fan removed so I can use the direction flaps etc but.....

a) the body is currrently at the end of the body covered up so inconvenient
b) this kind of extreme hybrid behavoiur is best posted on that anal post!!

Cheers guys:)

Miket
10-03-06, 08:36 PM
Mike, I have a polo heater but with no plenum chamber for air outlets. I see what you mean about the valve, very neat and built in. I will possibly use the valve mounted remotely in conjunction with the Spitfire set up unless I find an off the shelf item. Polo also has a neat bleed valve and looks like it would really help cooling if stuck in a traffic jam (much more than spitfire one).

I would like to use the polo if I can get it to fit but what plenum do people use, it looked like polo it came from used the entire dash as a plenum chamber??

Ideally I will attach it to the spitfire chamber with its matrix and fan removed so I can use the direction flaps etc but.....

a) the body is currrently at the end of the body covered up so inconvenient
b) this kind of extreme hybrid behavoiur is best posted on that anal post!!

Cheers guys:)
Ed

Don't know if you have room on a RAM, but AK bolt the Polo heater in the engine bay with a hole cut in the fibreglass bulhead where the matrix is, AK supply a fibreglass collector box which you cut your own holes in to suit how many outlets you require, I have enclosed a picture which explains in better.

Purple AK
10-03-06, 08:48 PM
Ed

Don't know if you have room on a RAM, but AK bolt the Polo heater in the engine bay with a hole cut in the fibreglass bulhead where the matrix is, AK supply a fibreglass collector box which you cut your own holes in to suit how many outlets you require, I have enclosed a picture which explains in better.
Humph! Now you tell me :( I spent ages making an ally one :(

bitsilly
10-03-06, 09:49 PM
cheers Mike, photo saved!