PDA

View Full Version : manifold clearance

viperjim
09-03-06, 07:45 PM
evenin all , just a quickie for any body who cares to listen , is it just my car or has everyone had problems finding exhaust manifolds to fit into the ridiculously tight space between the injun and the footwells , rover v8 by the way , thanx in anticipation , jim

hfbradley01
09-03-06, 08:39 PM
evenin all , just a quickie for any body who cares to listen , is it just my car or has everyone had problems finding exhaust manifolds to fit into the ridiculously tight space between the injun and the footwells , rover v8 by the way , thanx in anticipation , jim

Jim

You'll be pleased to know that your car is no different to any other Viper in terms of manifold clearance. I had to have mine made by a mate and as far as I know everyone else has had to have them made. The only alternative would be to modify the footwells to allow more room. Eric has done this on his Viper and i'm sure he would be only to pleased to help.

Cheers

hfbradley01
09-03-06, 08:57 PM

Jim

Another photo for you of some elses headers for side pipes.

osgood
10-03-06, 10:43 AM
Jim as Howard says most Vipers have this problem some more than others, see the attached before and after. Osgood

kevchard
10-03-06, 02:14 PM
We had to take our exhaust manifolds down through the frame as our Vee seems a lot deeper on a Ford V6.
So the collector sat between the sump and chassis rail. Unfortunately one of the manifolds is still hitting the chassis rails, so will need to be persuaded to move at some stage.
Aren't vipers fun?!?!?!

maxGD059
10-03-06, 02:56 PM
Jim

I assume you are committed to side pipes. If not, I have a spare set of GD headers that sit close to the block that would suit underslungs

osgood
10-03-06, 08:26 PM
EHMM DON'T BOTHER WITH UNDER-SLUNG ON A VIPER IT JUST DON'T WORK AFTER 4 YEARS OF GRIEF I WENT SIDE PIPE, with absolutely no regrets at this moment in time and less noise Osgood :)

osgood
10-03-06, 08:28 PM
We had to take our exhaust manifolds down through the frame as our Vee seems a lot deeper on a Ford V6.
So the collector sat between the sump and chassis rail. Unfortunately one of the manifolds is still hitting the chassis rails, so will need to be persuaded to move at some stage.
Aren't vipers fun?!?!?!

Kev you should have dealt with the guy I recomended in Linc's as most of our Viper guys have done and you would not have had a problem Osgood ;)

kevchard
10-03-06, 10:19 PM
Hi Eric
Getting the car transported was a prob, V6 makes it uncommon and funds are still low cos we are battling to get original money back from never received manifolds.
After looking at how i have done it, i wondered why i did it that way. Hell no turning back now.
I've just sent off to summit to get dimensions on their side pipes. I need to know how far below the chassis the sidepipes will hang.
It's been a right pain trying to design cats into system.
You been banned lately Eric :p .
Hope you are all keeping well, and jokes are appreciated :D .

Deck
11-03-06, 04:16 AM
Jim,
I got a set of stainless steel manifolds from the MGB club that are designed for the MGB GT V8. They're the tightest turn I could find and I did a fair bit of looking. still about 70mm from the face of the port to the back of the turn. I'm not sure what they're like performance wise and I still had to do a bit of "tweaking" on the footwells...
I Must warn you I haven't got the rest of the exhaust yet and while I've been thinking about unders, Osgood's just put the fear in me!:( I do think I can get these to turn if I need them to...

I also don't know how much the engine moves when under strain, therefore how much clearance is required. Can anyone let me know please?
Cheers
Dec

osgood
11-03-06, 09:57 AM
Jim,
I got a set of stainless steel manifolds from the MGB club that are designed for the MGB GT V8. They're the tightest turn I could find and I did a fair bit of looking. still about 70mm from the face of the port to the back of the turn. I'm not sure what they're like performance wise and I still had to do a bit of "tweaking" on the footwells...
I Must warn you I haven't got the rest of the exhaust yet and while I've been thinking about unders, Osgood's just put the fear in me!:( I do think I can get these to turn if I need them to...

I also don't know how much the engine moves when under strain, therefore how much clearance is required. Can anyone let me know please?
Cheers
Dec

Deck, with a well balanced engine before I put the cut outs in I only had 1/4" between the header and the foot well wall did not seem to be a problem, apart from the fact if you wanted to remove the headers you needed a very long spanner on the back underside bolts and a treble jointed monkey :) some of the latter Vipers were paneled on the inner side of the frame so you gained an extra 1" +, but mine was not and the hinder things further I clad it in stainless. Had I not been rushing to complete it before the 2/3rds SVA test at the end of 1999 I would have made the mods require like Iain Jones has done. I can confirm under-slung on my car was a living nightmare, I tried about six different systems, 2 or 4 boxes, continually grounding out at the rear under the axle and the front boxes when fitted, the front down pipes were continually being dragged off the headers even with two clamps per side and some tacks of weld!!.

I also think the side pipes balance the Viper up better with the wide front arches and in my case with my rear Marmite arches :D

osgood
11-03-06, 10:14 AM
Hi Eric
Getting the car transported was a prob, V6 makes it uncommon and funds are still low cos we are battling to get original money back from never received manifolds.
After looking at how i have done it, i wondered why i did it that way. Hell no turning back now.
I've just sent off to summit to get dimensions on their side pipes. I need to know how far below the chassis the sidepipes will hang.
It's been a right pain trying to design cats into system.
You been banned lately Eric :p .
Hope you are all keeping well, and jokes are appreciated :D .

Morning Kev :) no all is well at the moment just a couple of posts wiped which I will get back to latter in the day with my reply to one of the Sherrifs :rolleyes: F1 on today (practice) so I recon there will be a few blown lumps re this new 2:4 V8!!

Yes tranportation is expensive and inconvinient I must say, I was lucky that Mike had just recently made a set for Peter Ramella which were still in his work shop and prior to that had made a sysem for Iain Jones which as you probably know the 4 out pipes come under the chassis and dont exit through the body,couple of shots here of a Granada/Rover based Viper in Holland note the cuts outs once again regards Osgood

steamyrotter
13-03-06, 02:10 AM
=
Cheers
Dec

Depends on the engine mounts..

I have managed (stupidly) to mount mine whereby the thing doesn't appear to move more than 1/8" WRT the chassis in any direction.....
Even when hanging the whole lot off an engine crane.....
There is always one bolt you forget....:( or in my case 3.........

I have gone for an underslung system of some design which appears to give me a reasonable clearance judging on the most probable routes i will be taking (in 2098)
If i can get it into the carpark at work it will go anywhere....

personal taste and gives a higher challenge when you change it at a later date.:D

expect the thing will shake my fillings out

Cheers

hfbradley01
13-03-06, 07:15 PM
Depends on the engine mounts..

I have managed (stupidly) to mount mine whereby the thing doesn't appear to move more than 1/8" WRT the chassis in any direction.....
Even when hanging the whole lot off an engine crane.....
There is always one bolt you forget....:( or in my case 3.........

I have gone for an underslung system of some design which appears to give me a reasonable clearance judging on the most probable routes i will be taking (in 2098)
If i can get it into the carpark at work it will go anywhere....

personal taste and gives a higher challenge when you change it at a later date.:D

expect the thing will shake my fillings out

Cheers

Hi Dean

I've also fitted an unslung exhaust system, the thought of my grandchildren putting their hands on a side exhaust scared me.

Cheers

kevchard
13-03-06, 07:22 PM
Hi Dean

I've also fitted an unslung exhaust system, the thought of my grandchildren putting their hands on a side exhaust scared me.

Cheers

I know what you mean, it is a right git getting human flesh off the chrome :)

hfbradley01
13-03-06, 07:49 PM
I know what you mean, it is a right git getting human flesh off the chrome :)

I bet there aren't many cobra owners who are naturists who have side pipes....lol

kevchard
13-03-06, 07:56 PM
You could start a new faction of the CRC and call it the NCRC (naked cobra replica club).
Not sure about a lot of the 'members' physiques tho :p .

osgood
13-03-06, 08:18 PM
Howard could I just say, I went for under-slung for all those reasons, burning flesh, noise etc, but what surprised me when I made my own headers to match the 5" side pipes & shield after 4 years of total grief, made in Linc,s the packing is so good that I can bear my hands on them after 200 miles on a hot day!

Also being the deaf old git I am unfortunately I can hear the wife better with side than under-slung; thats bad news don't yer reckon :( I can tell you re the Viper and you are in an area of speed humps you will sadly regret it. Even on the motor way and I have 500 lbs worth of springs each side at the rear, in a steady dip with pipes below the axle they will still ground out best regards Osgood :)

hfbradley01
13-03-06, 08:41 PM
Howard could I just say, I went for under-slung for all those reasons, burning flesh, noise etc, but what surprised me when I made my own headers to match the 5" side pipes & shield after 4 years of total grief, made in Linc,s the packing is so good that I can bear my hands on them after 200 miles on a hot day!

Also being the deaf old git I am unfortunately I can hear the wife better with side than under-slung; thats bad news don't yer reckon :( I can tell you re the Viper and you are in an area of speed humps you will sadly regret it. Even on the motor way and I have 500 lbs worth of springs each side at the rear, in a steady dip with pipes below the axle they will still ground out best regards Osgood :)

Hi Eric

Well, the dirty deed has been done now however if it causes me a problem as I suspect it will, from yours and others comments, i'll have to bite the bullet and swap them.

Cheers

steamyrotter
13-03-06, 10:48 PM
managed to get mine to go over the rear axle.

there are 4 flexi sections there (yes sorry 4) which give enough when it hits. hence reaonable ground clearance and a not too bad sound. mind you that will change when you get the wind going as well.

Mind you two of us have been bouncing on the rear and they don't appear to touch much.....yet.......

And Kev....

Don't think i'll subject anyone to the NCRC down ere.....:D :D

osgood
14-03-06, 09:27 AM
managed to get mine to go over the rear axle.

there are 4 flexi sections there (yes sorry 4) which give enough when it hits. hence reaonable ground clearance and a not too bad sound. mind you that will change when you get the wind going as well.

Mind you two of us have been bouncing on the rear and they don't appear to touch much.....yet.......

And Kev....

Don't think i'll subject anyone to the NCRC down ere.....:D :D

Steamy is your car jag based cant remember :confused: Osgood??

kevchard
14-03-06, 09:33 AM
Hi Eric
Deans, mine, ceejays and lazyboys are all cortina based.
Our sump is the lowest part, so am hoping not to ground that out.
What size tyres can you fit on 15" rims on a corty based viper? 65 profile would be good for sva and ground clearance, but not sure if they are too big for arches. Also how wide do you think i can get away with safely for SVA? I dont want to buy tyres twice if i spec wrongly in the first place.

osgood
14-03-06, 10:34 AM
Hi Eric
Deans, mine, ceejays and lazyboys are all cortina based.
Our sump is the lowest part, so am hoping not to ground that out.
What size tyres can you fit on 15" rims on a corty based viper? 65 profile would be good for sva and ground clearance, but not sure if they are too big for arches. Also how wide do you think i can get away with safely for SVA? I don't want to buy tyres twice if i spec wrongly in the first place.

Hi Kev, ahh right Cortina based, just inquired as we tried desperately to get over the axle on my car (Jag) but no can do. Think my sump is around 4-5" off the deck and never had a problem in that area. 15" as you know are a bit of a problem these days not so much finding them but getting the right speed rating to match your figures at SVA.

My car has 8:5J front & 10:5J rear at present, I have 235x50x15 and 245x50x15 at the rear. I could go a lot bigger than that on the same rims if required but not a lot of point. I think I would stick to a 50 or 60 profile preferably 50 and if you have not got you wheels yet Kevin go for 16" which is more attractive re availability for tyres. I personally think that 17+ on a Viper would induce some wheel arch rubbing as you know most bodies on Viper do not sit square on :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Having said that Peter Ramella is 16" but Iain Jones has gone for 17" I think so we will have to see how hew gets on, not sure what Howard is running 16 or 17" I suspect. You will be suprised how much the suspension at the rear sits down with a fat git like me on board and the slim wife, full tank of gas (17:5 gallons) and luggage. Hope this helps mate regards Eric.

viperjim
14-03-06, 03:50 PM
Jim as Howard says most Vipers have this problem some more than others, see the attached before and after. Osgood
thanks chaps , i really want underslungs and cutting the footwells is a bit drastic , as long as i know i can get the manifolds made thats ok cheers

osgood
14-03-06, 07:47 PM
thanks chaps , i really want underslungs and cutting the footwells is a bit drastic , as long as i know i can get the manifolds made thats ok cheers

Jimbo, it is better to do the cutting now I can assure you. You have the time right now where I did not; and under-slung from my experience re Viper is not the way to go, just my personal view of course Osgood :)

cobra.mad
15-03-06, 05:14 PM
Hi Guys

Not been very vocal lately but I thought I would add my comments,

Clearance between manifolds and chassis is tight 5 - 10 mm, I have made up some headers that just fit, they have to be on the engine before itís fitted as there is no room to get them on in situí see photo, howeverI have not had to cut the chassis about.

I have gone for under slung exhausts and have managed to get a clearance of 120mm at the lowest point not really enough but Iíll see how it goes, they can always be changed later I guess.

As for wheels I have bought 8J 17Ē wheels, these where the widest rims I could get before they were outside the arches, I have kept the back space as the jag original , about 112mm backspace for brake clearance and to keep away from the inner wings. I am thinking of 235 40 17 fronts and 255 50 17 rears. I have found this link good for tyre info, there is a rim width calculator about half way down the page which was very useful.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

I am currently trimming the interior and starting to think about SVA just for a brief update on my build.

Chris