PDA

View Full Version : Road Tax

JonnyT
10-03-06, 09:41 AM
General question.

I have just bought a three year old car (last three days). Tax ran out on the 28th Feb.

I have had the MOT done, and I have insured it yesterday. Trouble is that the documents re: insurance have not come through the post to me yet and therefore can't get the road fund until it does.

There is much myth and rumour regarding road tax but as far as I understand it I have 28 days to renew from the date of expiry on the basis that when you do renew that road tax will be valid from the date of expiry in any event and therefore no loss has been suffered by Mr Brown. I need to use the car at the weekend and would therefore have my arguments ready if I do get stopped:)

Jon

TonyD
10-03-06, 09:46 AM
If you have the new computer generated MOT certificate you could try and buy the road tax online from the DVLA as then you dont have to wait for the insurance documents to arrive.

The DVLA website has records of the insurance status of every car on the UK roads and as long as the insurance company has updated their own database with the car's details the DVLA should also know.

Its worth a try I would think.

Cheers,

Tony

Miket
10-03-06, 09:57 AM
General question.

I have just bought a three year old car (last three days). Tax ran out on the 28th Feb.

I have had the MOT done, and I have insured it yesterday. Trouble is that the documents re: insurance have not come through the post to me yet and therefore can't get the road fund until it does.

There is much myth and rumour regarding road tax but as far as I understand it I have 28 days to renew from the date of expiry on the basis that when you do renew that road tax will be valid from the date of expiry in any event and therefore no loss has been suffered by Mr Brown. I need to use the car at the weekend and would therefore have my arguments ready if I do get stopped:)

Jon
Ask the Insurance company to send you a cover note first class today or offer to pay them for special overnight delivery, you should receive it in the morning.

wilf
10-03-06, 10:09 AM
"28 day period of grace"

Sorry - not true. There are two offences so far as I recall, one is not having a tax disc, the other is not displaying it.

These days you are meant to declare SORN as soon as a vehicle is not taxed.

williamfranklin
10-03-06, 10:45 AM
I only have aero screens so can't attach a tax disc anyway. I figure that if the pocile pull you over for that, they will do you for noise, lights and a whole range of other petty stuff. Just let them look under the bonnet at the engine and sweet talk them. Usually works...

JonnyT
10-03-06, 11:54 AM
Great idea with the Cobra - sadly this is on a Volvo V70 diesel - I suspect the 'wow' factor may not be as great!!

h8jse
10-03-06, 01:17 PM
"28 day period of grace"

Sorry - not true. There are two offences so far as I recall, one is not having a tax disc, the other is not displaying it.

These days you are meant to declare SORN as soon as a vehicle is not taxed.

I taxed the Siesta (it's a Fiesta that goes that slow you could nod off in it at any time) on Tuesday just gone for the tax to start from March 1st, I asked the lady at the PO counter whether or not I would get a fine sent through due to late payment, her reply was "no, they won't send you a fine unless you go into the next month" as Tony D previously mentioned here the DVLA,Insurance co's & the lovely people at the MOT are one way or another linked.

Dutch Paul
10-03-06, 03:29 PM
I taxed the Siesta (it's a Fiesta that goes that slow you could nod off in it at any time) on Tuesday just gone for the tax to start from March 1st, I asked the lady at the PO counter whether or not I would get a fine sent through due to late payment, her reply was "no, they won't send you a fine unless you go into the next month" as Tony D previously mentioned here the DVLA,Insurance co's & the lovely people at the MOT are one way or another linked.
While I still lived in the UK, I lapsed on my road tax by 9 days.
On the 9th of the month I renewed road tax from the beginning of the same month.
Two weeks later - summons to appear in court for failing to display a tax disc !!!
The car had been spotted, parked on the road outside my own house at 3:30 am on the 6th of that same month.
Bas###ds fined me 70 quid :mad: :mad: :mad:
I did appear in the local rag for swearing at a magistrate in court after being fined :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
This was 10 years ago, I dread to think how keen they are now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: