PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler on a Chevy

bitsilly
14-03-06, 06:57 PM
Has anyone with a Chevy 350 in a Ram got an oil cooler? If so does a sandwich plate set up fit OK or is it necessary to place the filter remotely?
Thanks
Ed

bitsilly
12-04-06, 06:28 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh, its a tough one innit.

mylesdw
12-04-06, 08:31 PM
I can't give a 100% answer because mine has always run a remote filter. I think it would be pretty tight against the chassis rail if the filter was in its stock location. Not sure if with or without a sandwich plate makes much difference. I can try and check over the weekend if you like.

bitsilly
15-04-06, 06:52 PM
Sorry its Saturday already, but if you could have a look it would be great.:)
In fact I have ordered the parts from Chris Salmon already but have plenty of time to change my mind as he is not returning my calls/e-mails etc.:mad: :mad:

mylesdw
18-04-06, 10:13 AM
The chassis member is below the oil filter pad on mine, with about 6" clearance so a small filter would fit but almost certainly not a filter AND sandwich plate. Also, using a remote filter and take-off plate leaves much more room for the exhaust pipes if you are running an under-car system.

Antony
19-04-06, 11:58 PM
Myles, bitsilly,

Would it be worth using the screw on alloy remote adapter only and not the sandwich plate, and then to oil cooler and back through the filter to main oil gallery?

Myles, talking about exhaust room, I am having to relocate the main engine bearer forward on an angle of a few degrees so I can get the exhaust out of one port (bloody Yates heads) I have created a can of worms by going radical in the engine and now wish I had just fitted a standard Windsor type head or dare I say it a Chev engine. I have sort of come to a grinding halt at the moment, and am starting to think why did I complicate a simple build!

mylesdw
20-04-06, 01:26 AM
Would it be worth using the screw on alloy remote adapter only and not the sandwich plate, and then to oil cooler and back through the filter to main oil gallery?

That is my set-up: just an adapter plate and then the filter and oil thermostat mounted remotely on the passenger side foot plate. The headers are a tri-y design and two tubes pass right through where the filter would go but this does improve the ground clearance.

Myles, talking about exhaust room, I am having to relocate the main engine bearer forward on an angle of a few degrees so I can get the exhaust out of one port (bloody Yates heads) I have created a can of worms by going radical in the engine and now wish I had just fitted a standard Windsor type head or dare I say it a Chev engine. I have sort of come to a grinding halt at the moment, and am starting to think why did I complicate a simple build!

Sorry to hear about the hassle but I guess it was never going to be anything but a rather radicle build. Have you got that Ford rear end in yet? I'd like to see how that ends up.

Antony
20-04-06, 05:53 AM
Myles,

Re the rear end, have just received some rear spindles (uprights) and am going Trigo adapters on the rear (custom hubs for front) plus the Compomotive wheels should be here in around 8 weeks - hopefully.
Designing the rear end pickup points and modifications to the existing Jaguar setup, havent done anything yet, I am a bit out of my depth or more to the point lost a bit of the fire I had and am trying to get a chap who does this sort of work to assist with the build but he is working for two Supercar teams at Pukekohe at present, and his time has become more limited, so I suppose there is only one real option, read more books, pay someone with CAD to come up with some options. Making the arms etc shouldnt be that difficult I have no problem with that, but if there is "several ways" to engineer the existing chassis to cope with the change, I have difficulty with that type of work!

Your car is an absolute dream compared to this, and the original type FE engine at about 630mm across is even worse or impractical to say the least so I am pleased I changed to small block.

One point on your car I am curious for some information the Inner guards, can you advise me how far off the chassis they are, and compared with the suspension tower there is a cutout for the top arm, is it central to the tower, as I might be putting the "cart before the horse" here and should probably wait until I get my wheels/tyres, because if you move the top arm hole central it reduces the rear front wheel clearance, maybe I should come up with a Digi Camera one day and take some picts - if I may :confused: :confused: :D :D