PDA

View Full Version : Idle speed fuel usage

tonym
23-03-06, 07:33 PM
I've tried to work out how much fuel I'm using while my taxi is idling on the rank awaiting jobs but can't figure out the equation to do it, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to help. The taxi is a 52 Ford Mondeo TDDi and if it's any help I average approx 38 mpg while driving normally in "typical taxi driver" mode. At this time of year the air-con isn't on but the heater fan is at half power (just in case that makes much of a difference) Can someone help? :)

Purple AK
23-03-06, 07:38 PM
Your leckie blanket should use less ;)

Miket
23-03-06, 08:37 PM
Tony

First you will have to work out the average mph you do on journeys round town.

Fill the tank right up to the neck, leave the car on tick over for an hour, preferably at home, then fill back up to the neck from a can and see how much it takes.

For example, let's say your average mph round town is 25 and it takes 1 gallon to refill then you know its doing 25 mpg on tickover.

Does that sound right or am I being stupid, again.

kayjayd
23-03-06, 08:42 PM
25 mpg on tickover.

Does that sound right or am I being stupid, again.

Can you do Miles Per Gallon when stationery? :confused: Surely it should be Gallons Per Hour our summit? ;)

big al
23-03-06, 08:44 PM
If It's any help my Zectra 2.5 uses 0.2 gals/hour on tickover. Its a petrol V6 and I average 30mpg (in light footed mode)

Miket
23-03-06, 09:01 PM
Can you do Miles Per Gallon when stationery? :confused: Surely it should be Gallons Per Hour our summit? ;)
Gallons per hour is easy, just fill it up, leave it ticking over for an hour, then refill and see how much it's used. ;) ;)

Clarkson
23-03-06, 09:46 PM
Audi 2.0 tdi uses 0.5ltr per hour on idle only!:) ;)