PDA

View Full Version : Latest Build Update

Iain
26-03-06, 08:16 PM
Here are some pics of the latest work done to our (Howards and me) Vipers. It's actually getting exciting now as the end is in sight and soon there will be paint on them. :D

image_01 shows my car in the foreground and Howards in the background.
image_02 is just another view of the front of my car.
image_03 shows how well the boot fits. Alot of work went into getting it that good and it ain't finished yet!

There is a Hard Top being trial fitted to Howards car in the first image...

wilf
26-03-06, 09:05 PM
Iain - keep the faith. Progress looks good.

There will be champagne to be drunk when you roll that car into it's first E Mids meet.

cobra.mad
26-03-06, 09:33 PM
Iain

All looks good. They seem to have been working on the two vipers for weeks.

When do you think you might be on the road?

Chris

Iain
26-03-06, 09:49 PM
They seem to have been working on the two vipers for weeks.
Well, the cars have been away while one guy ripped us off and did a complete bodge job. Once we managed to get the cars back, we had to undo 90% of the work done as it was either wrong or such poor workmanship. Then we have had to redo the work at another garage ourselves with the aid of the new painter and someother guys - Peter, Murdo and Martin (just to save some money). Now we're just about to the point where the painter can take over, finish the bodywork and paint the cars. We are hoping to get both cars back in April, Howards mid April and mine hopefully at the end.

If at all possible I'd like to be on the road in July but we'll see what other problems are left to solve.

Wilf, thanks for the comments, appreciated. :D

kevchard
27-03-06, 07:28 AM
Hi Lads
Looks like you are both doing a stirling job.
What are you doing about the boot seal, as ours does not let the boot lid shut.
I was thinking of reprofiling the inner lip of the boot lip, to make it deeper.
Keep up the hard work, ours is a lot further off.
Cheers

Iain
27-03-06, 10:59 AM
Our boots are fitted with the rubber seal in place. It doesn't look too bad either, just a small tweak here and there by the painter should have it sorted.

It is hard to describe what we have had to do but I will get some photos next weekend and post them here. They say that a picture paints a thousand words... :D

I should warn you that there is a lot of work to do to get the panels to fit. The boot is well out of shape and does require a lot of work if you want to get the look back. More on that topic can be discussed if required...

Cheers...

kevchard
27-03-06, 11:17 AM
Hi Iain
I saw ypur previous post about making the back deck 'round' again. I am not that fussed as it roughly looks OK.
What rubber boot section are you using? We are using a similar style to the door stuff, but rouns section is in a different place (doesnt make sense, but i know what i mean).
To use proper door seal on doors, i had to deepen the door reveal in the body (using a grinder and a heap of fibreglass bridger).
As i say yours looks good, and ours will one day.
Cheers

Iain
27-03-06, 02:45 PM
I'll get you a picture of the boot rubber we have used. Again, I'll post it with the other info after next weekends visit! :D

Cheers...

Deck
04-04-06, 12:18 AM
Nice work lads! Keep it steady andI hope it all goes your way from here.

I should warn you that there is a lot of work to do to get the panels to fit. The boot is well out of shape and does require a lot of work if you want to get the look back. More on that topic can be discussed if required...

Are you talking about the shape when looking from the side? Mine is too acute so the top and bottom edges touch but the sides are miles high. I am thinking of cutting horizontally on the inside and trying to wedge the cuts open with offcuts of fiberglass. I think this should open out the curve a bit... Will this work? and did you have to do something like this?
Cheers
Declan

TINKA
04-04-06, 01:17 AM
Hi Deck that is more or less what they did. Hopefully Iain or Howard will have a picture of the inside of their boots to give you an idea of what they had to do. :( :(

Deck
06-04-06, 06:57 PM
Thanks Martin
Man, I've so much work to do! :D
Maybe if I spent a little less time on this computer...
Is it better to use metal or wood or fibreglass pieces to spread the cuts?
Cheers
Declan