PDA

View Full Version : Musical Cobra owners ?

PeteV
26-04-06, 08:56 PM
Just curious whether we have any fellow musicians among the Cobra brethren ? If so, what do you play ? ( ... and spare the jokes please about the sound of a V8 being sweet music enough!)

Pete.

Robin427
26-04-06, 09:00 PM
I nearly trained as an opera singer and have sung professionally from time to time.

Can bash out a tune on my piano, but no expert.

Grade 4 flute and learning the trumpet...

Are you starting a band?

You said "fellow musicians" - what do you play?

mylesdw
26-04-06, 09:00 PM
A bit of rag-time and blues guitar but with very limited skill; played bass in a band for a while, that was fun. Wrote a song about Cobras once it was undescribably BAD!

Robin427
26-04-06, 09:05 PM
Wrote a song about Cobras once it was undescribably BAD!

./~ My Cobra is quite fast,
Driving it's a blast,
A lot of cars I've passed,
Their drivers were aghast ./~

./~ My Cobra is well cool,
If you ain't got one, you're a fool,
Be cheaper buying a pool,
And filling it with fuel ./~

etc.

Something like that?

Andy302
26-04-06, 09:06 PM
Thanks to a musical uncle and aunt I learnt the cornet at age 8 playing with a brass band until the age of 13 when I switched to drums and carried on until around 1998. Dabbled with a doors tribute band thing whilst at college (possibly responsible for my dire A level results!) Havent played at all really since then, miss it to be honest but I fell out of love with the whole brass band thing. If I had the time I would love to play in a jazz/blues/big band set up. Have also been known to play the piano (badly) never could get the left hand working properly! :p

Cheers

mylesdw
26-04-06, 09:12 PM
Driving it's a blast,

etc.

Something like that?

Wish I'd thought if that; mine is much worse! I would post a copy but out of respect for other members and because I don't know if I could stand the ridicule I won't (it's a 4MB mpeg anyway).

mylesdw
26-04-06, 09:15 PM
If I had the time I would love to play in a jazz/blues/big band set up. Have also been known to play the piano (badly) never could get the left hand working properly! :p

Oh yes, played the trumpet for a few years too.

Andy: do you ever get to the Swan at Wantage? They used to have some great live bands. Sunday lunch time a jazz/blues/funk outfit called Flex-a-muscle (I think) and occasionally an R&B three piece called The Little Green Shed. Great stuff.

rich
26-04-06, 09:19 PM
Driving it's a blast,

set to "Ive been driving in my car" Madness ;)

Played bass, but got bored! wish i had stuck at it and got half as good as John Entwistle.

Wheelnutter
26-04-06, 09:20 PM
Hi All,
Among my few musical talents I have been playing the musical saw for quite a few years now and have been the unusual act at a few concerts in the past. It's a Sandvik "Stradivarius", specially made for playing music. It sound like the music in a horror film but it gets a good laugh. I'm taking bookings to pay for the fuel for the AK.
Hugh

Robin427
26-04-06, 09:23 PM
I've seen people playing saws on telly - I like the sound, a bit like a Theremin...

cobrasrgrate
26-04-06, 09:24 PM
Hi, I mainly play bass and acoustic but dabble with lead and occasional drums...welll that was until my son moved into our music room and the drum kit got packed up :( . Used to do some session stuff, blues rock, jazz..anything really. Still play bass regularly :) .

Andy

Steve-Art
26-04-06, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I played bass for living when I was younger, play lead regularly for pleasure nowadays.

Mostly classic rock & blues, influences Satriani, Vai, Hendrix, Moore, just discovered Joe Bonamassa (if you like Gary Moore/ SRV check him out).

Steve

David Large
27-04-06, 05:55 AM
I ring church bells.......heavy metal music?
Does this count?

Influences: Stedman, Plain Bob, Grandsire, Cambridge Surprise, Dorothy Sayers!
regards

Andy302
27-04-06, 06:07 AM
Oh yes, played the trumpet for a few years too.

Andy: do you ever get to the Swan at Wantage? They used to have some great live bands. Sunday lunch time a jazz/blues/funk outfit called Flex-a-muscle (I think) and occasionally an R&B three piece called The Little Green Shed. Great stuff.

No Ive never been there, been to the Trout at Lechlade a few times though where they have the occasional jazz outfit.

Did you used to hail from round these parts?

cheers

PeteV
27-04-06, 12:24 PM
Gosh...what a great thread! & what great taste you all have with jazz / blues etc. getting a lot of mentions! I myself would have loved to have made a career from music, as I play piano/keyboards, but opted for engineering in the end as I’ve always found that the creative experience to be had through building physical items (mechanics / electronics etc.) is almost on a par satisfaction-wise with artistic/musical creativity. Also, I don’t think I’d have been high-calibre enough to make a proper living from playing - certainly not enough to finance building Cobras and the like! I still do a reasonable amount of playing, but only for fun or reasonable paying gigs such as the odd wedding.

Interesting lyrics Robin, but I must admit that I am getting more than a little concerned – have you been inhaling the octane booster again ?!

Finally, those of you into the rock/blues thing might want to, if you don’t already know of them, check out www.thehamsters.co.uk - great fun, & non-Crendon owners might even particularly enjoy their version of “Cheverolet” !!

Pete.

jenny
27-04-06, 12:37 PM
Used to play trumpet, and sung in a choir that performed in the Albert Hall 4 times. When I reached the age of 16 I decided that an electric guitar looked quite fun. Been playing that for 11 years now. Also dabble on the piano and drums (when I'm allowed) :D
Played in a band for a few years, just muck about on the guitar now and again when I have time now :(
Attempting to teach Skidmark how to play a couple of tunes but I don't think he's flexible enough :eek:
Main musical influences at the moment are The Damned :cool: , Captain Sensible :cool: , and anything with a bit of a tune behind it rather than that crap thats in the charts at the moment. Hopefully seeing Sensible for a bit of a chinwag this weekend at the 30th anniversary of Punk in B'ham

Neil O
27-04-06, 01:18 PM
I've played piano from about 6 years old, now tend to stick with the sax though. It's easier to carry around. ;)
I play sax professionally, mostly solo but sometimes with a female singer. :D

jenny
27-04-06, 01:25 PM
I would love to be able to play the sax... never tried.

David Large
27-04-06, 01:40 PM
Aren't there any more campanologists out there?

PeteV
27-04-06, 02:13 PM
It looks like you may be unique David - out numbered even by the musical saw players!!

Pete.

PS. Do you think we should all form a band & play the Sunday Evening slot (do they still do this?) at Stoneleigh one year ??!! Maybe we could persuade Robin to sing !!

Ricky
27-04-06, 03:01 PM
im a drummer (grade 6) i did do a demonstration at elvington last year :D odds were agaisnt me tho ... left handed kit, old git song and old git band :D :D

regards

Robin427
27-04-06, 04:50 PM
PS. Do you think we should all form a band & play the Sunday Evening slot (do they still do this?) at Stoneleigh one year ??!! Maybe we could persuade Robin to sing !!

Shutting me up is the difficult thing... :D :D :D :D

russell_ram
27-04-06, 05:10 PM
Guitar - but not anywhere near the standard that my collection of mahogany, maple, rosewood etc would have you believe!

btw if you like The Hamsters, you should go and see this guy if you ever get the chance - www.thenotoriousbrothers.co.uk - simply awesome.

Russ

mylesdw
27-04-06, 08:20 PM
No Ive never been there, been to the Trout at Lechlade a few times though where they have the occasional jazz outfit.

Did you used to hail from round these parts?

Born in Henley-on-Thames and lived quite a few years in Newbury and Chieveley. My niece has just gone to work at The Trout I think. There always was a real dearth of live music around Newbury but the Swan at Wantage was great; that was in the early 90s, it's probably a Happy Harvester with ketchup in sachets now...

dingocooke
27-04-06, 08:36 PM
Seen the Hamsters in Buckingham, great fun!!:D

After a 17 year lay off from playing/gigging, I started with another band again late last year, we're about to do our first gig in July, mostly Stereophonics and Coldplay covers.
We're a 4 piece and I'm drums and backing vocals.
Also play fingerstyle acoustic guitar badly in the privacy of the bedroom when nobodys listening!!

Steve

V8bassman
28-04-06, 08:21 AM
Bass player (surprise!). Played since I was 15, still in a band now bashing out rock & blues. Nowt wrong with old gits playing old git music Ricky!!

DavidSaw
28-04-06, 01:55 PM
Gibson guitars and Marshall amps-Lead voc's and rhythem/lead guitar with 'THE MEN FROM U.R.A.N.U.S'
Groovy covers from abba to zz top-Lets ROCK mo-fo's!!!

Ricky
28-04-06, 04:46 PM
Bass player (surprise!). Played since I was 15, still in a band now bashing out rock & blues. Nowt wrong with old gits playing old git music Ricky!!

Did i say i was complaning? :D i love it really :rolleyes: :eek: :p

stevee8
28-04-06, 05:15 PM
Guitar for my own amusement and keyboard which I haven't seriously got into yet.

As there's a few Hamsterheads out there perhaps we should book them for Stoneleigh 2007. I think Slim likes his cars.

nbracken
28-04-06, 11:06 PM
I agree with Pete V - what an amazing post. I also see the trend with many people liking rock and blues esp - me too.

And what a creative bunch you are. My brother is a professional music teacher and when I was a teenager my parents told me I should learn to play an instrument or else I would regret it when I was older - guess what - were they right or???

I did sing in a choir for 8 years and managed to transition through treble alto tenor and bass. These days I sing in the shower, car, office (early in the morning) and at karaoke bars here in Japan and which are great.

Really would love to play the sax or harmonica and one day I will learn. Would love to either play or sing in a fun rock blues band

David Large
28-04-06, 11:40 PM
Come on own up, there MUST be another Church bellringer (campanologist) out there?
Cheers

stevee8
29-04-06, 04:18 PM
Sounds like you're desperate to make an a-peel David ;)

steamyrotter
30-04-06, 12:22 AM
btw if you like The Hamsters, you should go and see this ...........
Russ

Did the lighting for them in Bridgwater once.

Excellent night.

pity the equipment interfered with his amp at first!!!
Still there's a way around everything...

David Large
30-04-06, 08:37 PM
Sounds like you're desperate to make an a-peel David ;)

I like it.

Cheers,

Neil O
03-05-06, 10:19 AM
I've played piano from about 6 years old, now tend to stick with the sax though. It's easier to carry around. ;)
I play sax professionally, mostly solo but sometimes with a female singer. :D

Seeing as no one who knows me picked up on this I have to 'fess up' now. :mad:

'Professionally'........read busking (or begging 'cos I can't play a note) ;)

'Female singer'........that would be my dog then. ;)

Beats selling the Big Issue though.

Seriously though, I'm majorly jealous of anyone who can play any instrument, I'm one of those people who would really like to have that sort of skill but doesn't have the patience, time or talent to learn.

My son is learning piano and we're driving him on all the time. Mainly because our local posh hotel reckons that we can eat for free if he plays to entertain the guests. :D

PeteV
03-05-06, 12:30 PM
Aww Neil !! ...and I had you down as the front man for the CRC headline sunday night gig at Stoneleigh next year!! What a pity !!

Pete.

(Currently building speaker cabinets, not engines!!)

Neil O
03-05-06, 06:06 PM
Sorry Pete, I can't even sing! (or so the wife tells me) :D

robinj66
03-05-06, 09:19 PM
I play the fool quite a bit, does that count?:D