PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slave conversion pics

dingocooke
30-04-06, 08:16 PM
Has anyone got pics of their clutch slave set up?
Preferably 302 Ford/Tremec box, but any will help with inspiration!
I've taken the box out of my car to fix the McLeak hydraulic throw out, but its such a piece of worthless junk, I can't bear the thought of putting it all back in, so I'm in a hurry to get it sorted with proper release arm, slave etc.
My set up is 302 Ford,McLeod clutch and SPI 6.1 steel scattershield with off set pivot arm poss, late tremec TR3550TKO, marina pedal box.

My mental parts list is:
Adjustable pivot screw
Chevy arm
Release bearing (looks like SBChevy suits the McLeod cover and Tremec nose)
Pull cylinder (Wilwood or similar), but any suggestions welcome (except those that suggest a refit of the McLeak!!)

Thanks as always in advance,

Steve

bogster
30-04-06, 09:06 PM
Hello Steve,

My setup is a little different as I have a Chevy SB with a Mcleod scattershield, Mcleod clutch, throwout bearing, clutch fork, adjustable pivot bolt which is screwed into the scattershield, 7/8" CNC slave cylinder c/w home made bracket which attachs to the scattershield. I used aeroquip JIC-03 connections between the slave and 7/8" master cylinder.

I've included a couple of pics. I am getting about an 1" of travel on the clutch fork so I think it will be okay for throwing the clutch in and out but won't know until I fire here up and try and change gear. I won't be ready to do that for a month or two at least.

kevchard
01-05-06, 09:05 AM
Are these clutch slaves pushers, instead of the wilwood puller type? What size bore are they please?
Cheers

dingocooke
01-05-06, 10:24 AM
Hi Bogster nice pics cheers!

I think I need a puller set up rather than your pusher, due to chassis rails being in the way on my car (the down side of a spaceframe).
Ill save your pics for inspiration though, its a nice job you've made there.

Anyone got 'puller' cylinder set up pictures?

Cheers again

Steve

Searching for a canal to chuck the McLeak in now, or maybe ill ebay it:D

Dax SC
01-05-06, 10:35 AM
Hi Steve,

I've got a Lakewood scattershield, Tremec 600 and Wilwood puller slave cylinder. I need to remove the transmission tunnel today, so I'll post a pic later for you. The Wilwood is easy to mount, as a bracket mounted to the slave body is not required. Instead you only need to fabricate a bracket to allow the adjustment rod at the other end to be held in place. Effectively, the slave is held in postion by tension between the two opposing points.

Dax SC
01-05-06, 12:35 PM
Here's the pic Steve

dingocooke
01-05-06, 01:08 PM
Hi Mark,

Cheers for that!!

I'm getting through the combinations fast!
What I actually need is a pull type pulling the lever forward (ie towards the block)
No space for a pull cylinder as your pic, and a Ford/McLeod bellhousing combo has the arm pivot the opposits side of the release bearing (ie Chevy has pivot between release bearing and arm actuation end, whilst Ford has pivot the other side of the release, ie opposite the actuation end, for a Ford fork pic (although sadly not using a Mcleod/weber type scattershield and push rather than pull cylinder:( )

see www.users.telenet.be/cobra427/clutch.html (http://users.telenet.be/cobra427/clutch.html)

So what I'd really like to see is a pic of a SBF with Tremec and Mcleod/Weber scattershield and a wilwood pull slave!!!
Sorry!!

Steve

dingocooke
01-05-06, 09:12 PM
Just wondered if anyone else had any pics??
Thanks as usual
Steve

dingocooke
11-05-06, 02:34 PM
OK,

Im nearly there thanks to the help on here.
I have a working clutch (albeit still on axle stands) as per pic, floating wilwood on a spherical (self centering) nylon cylinder end, with a clearance fit spigot from brass to locate in the McLeod scattershield bore (the hole probably originally intended for a Ford cable operation) the spherical cylinder end is a push fit onto the wilwood cylinder using an o ring. God bless my little Myford!!
Clutch arm, pivot bolt and release are 79-82 Mustang.
Got a nice light clutch using the Marina 5/8" master, just need to roadtest now to make sure I have enough travel, if not I'll swithc to a 3/4" master cylinder.
The cylinder does not need a bracket used this way, but I will make a small retaining bracket that affixes to the rear of the scattershiled, with grommet and clearance fit spigot for the cylinder end, just in case the cylinder rattles slightly on a bumpy road (as if I could hear it!!) .

Thanks for all your help chaps,

Steve

dingocooke
12-05-06, 11:30 AM
OK,

All back in one piece, no leaks and bits left over:D
As I suspected, I dont have enough stroke to free the clutch properly, I've got 25-26mm of stroke on the Wilwood, so Im going to fit a 3/4" master to replace the 5/8" marina item (just ordered one from NFAutos). By my calcs I should then have full stroke on the Wilwood slave (34.9mm). The wilwood is 7/8" nominal but you have to remove the piston rod area as its a pull type, so actually very close to area of a 3/4" cylinder
Fingers x'd!!

Steve

dingocooke
26-05-06, 11:04 AM
Do'h when itook the marina master off it was 0.70" not 0.625"so my nice shiny new 0.750" was no use, sent it back and got a 0.830" master, and now it all works, drives ok, just got to adjust the lever so I can get reverse without any difficulty, so job finally done-just in time for more rain...
If anyone is in the same predicament as I was, I now have a list of what you need to convert from hydraulic throwout bearing to pull slave lever on a Ford/Tremec/scattershield combination
Steve

kdavies3
26-05-06, 06:37 PM
7/8" cylinders both ends does seem to work in the majority of cases.:D

dingocooke
27-05-06, 12:29 PM
Yes I agree,
But I thought 3/4" master would work, seeing as the 7/8" Wilwood pull cylinder has a very similar effective piston area to a 3/4" push cylinder when you take off the area of the piston rod.
Oh well, at least its fixed. If British Leyland still existed I think I could have got a job on the Marina line fitting master cylinders after all the practice Ive had over the last 2-3 weeks:D

Steve

shadow
22-09-09, 05:13 PM
Yes, I know its an old thread, but could do with seeing some of these pics. ;)

l'spa ram driver
22-09-09, 09:03 PM
I tried the hydraulic slave cylider route but couldnt get enough throw with a lucas/marina master cylinder and slave cylinder (rover sd1), so went for mcleod release bearing, 15 years later no prob, started with saginaw gearbox which died, now on a tremec, with the same release bearing (probably kiss of death quote now!), reasonable pressure
to operate - compared to SRV8 which I drove. There is a booklet with the macleod that shows you how to adjust how much throw you need - are you over extending the bearing?

Hugh

OK,

All back in one piece, no leaks and bits left over:D
As I suspected, I dont have enough stroke to free the clutch properly, I've got 25-26mm of stroke on the Wilwood, so Im going to fit a 3/4" master to replace the 5/8" marina item (just ordered one from NFAutos). By my calcs I should then have full stroke on the Wilwood slave (34.9mm). The wilwood is 7/8" nominal but you have to remove the piston rod area as its a pull type, so actually very close to area of a 3/4" cylinder
Fingers x'd!!

Steve