PDA

View Full Version : Sovereign AK Replica

Martyn-ak427
02-05-06, 10:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I was mightily impressed with the Sovereign commissioned AK on the AK stand at Stoneleigh, although slightly pretentious it was still admirable for the attention to detail & build quality. I have however been pondering something since seeing said vehicle - does anyone know if the three holes cut into the top of the nose cone are purely cosmetic? or functional & what their purpose is?

Regards,
Martyn

Andy S
02-05-06, 10:10 PM
I believe but might be wrong that Nigel Dean did this last year on his Dax build and its supposed to aid air flow over the rad. No surprise as he is involved with sovereign now, I believe the cut outs were first used on the Ferrari Daytona.

robert
02-05-06, 10:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I was mightily impressed with the Sovereign commissioned AK on the AK stand at Stoneleigh, although slightly pretentious it was still admirable for the attention to detail & build quality. I have however been pondering something since seeing said vehicle - does anyone know if the three holes cut into the top of the nose cone are purely cosmetic? or functional & what their purpose is?

Regards,
Martyn

Very pretentious car, far too bling.

The holes didn't do anything, they were there for show only, as there was a backplate on them

lutman
03-05-06, 09:45 AM
Several cars, Ferrari 250GTO , and including some racing cobras had the additional holes in the upper nose.
It was for additional cooling and in the case of the Ferrari they also had blanking plates to shut them off as required.

robert
03-05-06, 10:44 AM
Several cars, Ferrari 250GTO , and including some racing cobras had the additional holes in the upper nose.

Yep, Cheng has holes in the front of his ram for cooling, however unlike the Sovereign thing, Chengs are open and not covered up with a skin of brushed ally.

tony
03-05-06, 12:47 PM
Very pretentious car, far too bling.

The holes didn't do anything, they were there for show only, as there was a backplate on them

I have to agree with Rob, as a show piece it was ok. But I thought t looked like a cross between a Dax and an Ak, personally I think some of the AK character was lost:( .

TonyD
03-05-06, 01:28 PM
As an exercise in bling it was first rate, but not to my taste. Besides the Aldi and Lidl carrier bags coming home from shopping trips would just slide about everywhere in that alloy lined boot.

I did like the wheels though! The perfolated leather I didn't like at all.

Cheers,

Tony

Steve H
03-05-06, 07:53 PM
It looked to me as if someone had sat up all night desperately thinking of (what else can i do to it), and did it all.
Must admit though build quality was superb.

Steve.

corsa42
03-05-06, 09:13 PM
i thought that the car was the best example of a cobra . The ak my eyes had the best lookin cobras at the show some people just dont like healthy competition. The ak team done very well to have 7 show cars on there stand its not very often you see that.:D

Mr Bling
03-05-06, 09:24 PM
ditto to that Corsa
The AK stand was without question the most impressive all Cob stand at the show:)

robert
03-05-06, 09:44 PM
The AK stand was without question the most impressive all Cob stand at the show:)

I disagree, I think DBs stand was the best. I wandered over, had a chin wag and a smoke, all very very relaxed and friendly and just what life should be about. :D :D

conrod
03-05-06, 10:02 PM
Robert,

I agree - except that I gave up smoking a couple of weeks ago! :p

RobinH
03-05-06, 10:14 PM
Any chance of any pictures of said AK? I have been in the States so unfortunately missed Stoneleigh this year.

Steve-Art
03-05-06, 10:20 PM
I thought the standard on gerry's stand was excellent with his eye for detail & accuracy, if I ever have a lottery win I'd place an order for his 289 FIA !!!!

Steve

Bowtie
04-05-06, 05:33 AM
Any chance of any pictures of said AK? I have been in the States so unfortunately missed Stoneleigh this year.
Yes pleeeeease (stuck in Sweden as I am)...

dave
04-05-06, 06:40 AM
I disagree, I think DBs stand was the best. I wandered over, had a chin wag and a smoke, all very very relaxed and friendly and just what life should be about. :D :D

...I could have done with more seats and bean bags for a proper lounge about.:D ...And maybe some camp beds for Monday.

Sheik yerbouti
04-05-06, 09:19 AM
Hi, the AK was built by Chris Symonds...hence the attention to detail. but of course he is only doing what the customer asks! From the pics I have..too big to upload at the moment...I can see that the awful holes cut into the front are scooped, so there is some extra airflow. The leather! Looked like a tea bag! Too many perforations!

tonym
04-05-06, 11:06 AM
...I could have done with more seats and bean bags for a proper lounge about.:D ...And maybe some camp beds for Monday.

Isn't that discriminating against "straight" beds? :p

dingocooke
04-05-06, 12:53 PM
Isn't that discriminating against "straight" beds? :p

I think you'll find camp beds fold both ways..

rich
04-05-06, 01:01 PM
ROFLMAO

That should defiantly get Dave's post of the day award :D