PDA

View Full Version : Cctv.....

Andy302
07-05-06, 05:01 PM
Following on from my recent post about anti social behaviour against me and my property it would appear than the git(s) in question are not leaving it alone.

Yesterday we had the fence and gate repeatedly kicked as they walked up the side of the house and a nice brown deposit of spit added to our front door.

I managed to ignore all of this and gave no reaction although as I was cleaning the window at the time they saw me and acknowledged that I saw them. My wife managed to take a couple of cracking full face photographs when the returned back from the shop. Strangely on the way back there was no bravado and no attack on our house.

Anyway, all this has got us thinking about CCTV, we dont have a porch like we used too so we open our front door straight on to anyone at the door. I would like to cover the front of my house with CCTV so we can a) see whos there before opening the door and b) record images of people spitting on my front door/knicking the milk/trampling the garden etc.

Has anyone got a good system that actually works?

And guess what...still no sign of the Police, even after going to the station in person and ringing repeatedly.

john cohen
07-05-06, 05:10 PM
:) Try B&Q we got ours from them. They do many types . Agood selection.:D

Grease Monkey
07-05-06, 06:17 PM
You might also want to consider whether you want the camera visible and obvious as a deterant or hidden.

Hidden means it's not going to get vandalised / damaged, but it won't stop you getting victimised. They also won't be able to hide from the camera view as they wont know where it is.

Visible means they know exactly what it's field of view is and how to avoid it. Also where to throw stuff to break it.

My suggestion would be the best of both worlds. Get a dummy one and make it nice and visible then try to conceal the real one covering the rest of the property.

kevchard
07-05-06, 06:33 PM
We bought a DVR card from ebay for £50 ish, and this is a lot better than the £10 hong kong jobbies on there. The cam (colour by day, B&W nite vision) was approx £30. This records to our pc when there is movement. They are better at short range than a distance off.
Dog cam pro do a wireless cam (size of a pound coin) for approx £80. So you can mount the cam somewhere discrete and have the reeiver next to your recording PC.
As with most things tho, hopefully they will get bored and bother someone else.
Police from experience aren't worth the tax payers money (alledgely too busy playing 'hide and seek').
Sorry Plod, but we have not had one good experience with local police.
Partly cos of the law protecting the 'scrotes' and partly cos they are too under funded etc etc.
Community wardens aroun our way are far too scarey looking to be taken seriously (1 looks lik0e 'Jez' off of gimme gimme gimme, other looks like younger than the offendants).
Real police are too scared to come here.
End of rant.
Good luck.

Andy302
07-05-06, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys, like the hidden and obvious approach!

Im looking into the DVR approach and setting up a dedicated PC with big drives to record stuff andback up data (lost a lot of photographs last weel, Mrs R non to happy!)

Just had a phone call and a nice policeman is on his way, keep perstering and eventually someting happensit appears. He's very interested in our pictures!

Cheers!

gareth08
07-05-06, 07:08 PM
andy,
i have a cctv system installed that covers the entire front of the house on a video recorder that switches on as soon as detects anything.With a long play tape I can get 8 hours of recording which I just check if anything has happened.cost about 100 quid.

HTH

Colin GD427
07-05-06, 07:16 PM
Hi Andy
Dont mention you taken photos to the police, as I did that the other year off some youths that were doing the same with my christmas lights I had up (I am one of the daft gits that puts ups hundreds of lights all over the house) but not it the act. I called the police and when they arrived I showed the photos, and told them were he lives as I had followed him. They told me that I was breaking the law. They went round to the house and give him/father a word, and the father wanted to press charges as believe it or not he know it was against the law to take pictures of youths with out there promision.:confused: English Law......:mad: Regards CCTV you should have a sign to inform people that they are in use, a sign might be cheaper......as a deterant.

Andy302
07-05-06, 08:08 PM
Hi Andy
Dont mention you taken photos to the police, as I did that the other year off some youths that were doing the same with my christmas lights I had up (I am one of the daft gits that puts ups hundreds of lights all over the house) but not it the act. I called the police and when they arrived I showed the photos, and told them were he lives as I had followed him. They told me that I was breaking the law. They went round to the house and give him/father a word, and the father wanted to press charges as believe it or not he know it was against the law to take pictures of youths with out there promision.:confused: English Law......:mad: Regards CCTV you should have a sign to inform people that they are in use, a sign might be cheaper......as a deterant.

Well to update everyone.

Policeman now sat in lounge talking to the wife, very interested with the photographs and requested we emailed them to him. As he was taking statement he ran out of paper so went othe car to get more, who should be walking round the corner but the offender!! So after a bit of a talking too it transpires local yob was actually scared of me for shouting at them!! (dont believe it but I know I was scared!)

Any way he admited to spitting on the house and gave the name for the one who nicked out milk!

With any luck this hopefully will put a stop to it as the lad in question is known to the police and our local policeman knows him and where he lives.

Still gonna get an alarm and CCTV though!

Cheers Guys

steamyrotter
07-05-06, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys, like the hidden and obvious approach!

Im looking into the DVR approach and setting up a dedicated PC with big drives to record stuff andback up data (lost a lot of photographs last weel, Mrs R non to happy!)

Just had a phone call and a nice policeman is on his way, keep perstering and eventually someting happensit appears. He's very interested in our pictures!

Cheers!

Andy

I have been using the GrandEGuard system for a while as someone decided one of our cars didn't need windows...Gits..

However I have upgraded to the X16 so have the 4 camera version available if you want it. PM me if you want further details.

Regds

Dean

Andy302
07-05-06, 08:46 PM
Dean,

You have a mail!

Cheers

steamyrotter
07-05-06, 08:58 PM
Dean,

You have a mail!

Cheers