PDA

View Full Version : Adverts

COBRA KEV01
09-05-06, 08:37 PM
Has anyone noticed how loud adverts are now played on sky TV,i find every night i am having to higher and lower the volume on my TV because of the bloody adverts.Is this a new commercial ploy.Also is it me or is anyone else pissed off with the adverts with regards to mortgages and loans that pollute our airspace on a daily basis.I wonder how many people have been left in a financial mess because of these parasites?

mylesdw
09-05-06, 08:42 PM
TV here in NZ is total shite and yes, they play the ads louder. The same restrictions don't apply so there are far more ads; typically you get a 5 min ad break 5 mins before the end of a program!

The solution is: buy one of these DVD recorders with hard-drive and just watch the programs a bit later. They are a FANTASTIC time saver; watching an hour's telly now only takes 40 minutes because you can skip forward through all the ads.

Clarkson
09-05-06, 08:50 PM
welcome back! Where is your mate soogood??

Should this not be in the cock pit??

COBRA KEV01
09-05-06, 09:42 PM
welcome back! Where is your mate soogood??

Should this not be in the cock pit??

Tis nice to be able to converse again,i thought i would stay away from the cock pit as things can get a bit carried away!
soogood is fine, we met at one of our meetings last week,its always nice to meet up with my brother,i will pass on your regards.
Anyhow im off now to watch South Park,adverts on so i have had to turn the sodding volume down again!Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Grease Monkey
10-05-06, 06:35 AM
Hardly new. They've been doing it for years. Bloody annoying.

rich
10-05-06, 08:01 AM
It's so well know about, that some new telly's have a audio level control to try and combat it.

It even said in the instructions on my new telly that the funtion was for that spacific problem ;)

nuf_said
10-05-06, 10:58 AM
Heard this some time ago:-

There is a limit to the sound level of programmes, but the advert people get round this by 'compression' (whatever that is) to make the adverts louder. Like you, it really annoys me - both the volume and the content of the adverts.

In the U.S. they flick into the adverts without any 'end of part one' or a channel Four logo - you just wonder why we are suddenly watching crisp packets during the Simpsons etc.

In theory the BBC don't have adverts - we pay a licence fee to compensate them. But, yes, they are forever having adverts for their own services and programmes - often 10 minutes long.

Nuf said

jeff
10-05-06, 02:00 PM
My TV has the option that enables sound to be kept at the same level when the commercials come on and works fine with terrestrial signal, but for some reason it gives up when receiving through Sky or digital box. A right pain in the rear

jeff

Neil O
10-05-06, 03:14 PM
I heard the rule was that the advert can't be more than x% louder than the loudest part of the preceding programme.
Obviously I don't know what the % is, but it's defintely too high!
I think they assume that it needs to be loud so that you can hear it in the kitchen when you go to make a cup of tea. Bit of an antiquated idea really.
Personally, I keep the bottle of red near enough so I don't have to move out of the sofa until bedtime. :D :D hic.

nikbj68
10-05-06, 05:18 PM
I heard the rule was that the advert can't be more than x% louder than the loudest part of the preceding programme...

I`m sure ITV got slapped for it a few years ago, but I don`t know if the sat channels are covered by the same legislation.

I tell you what pi55es me off at the moment.... LOST just started again on E4, so you get 2 minutes of Previously on 'LOST'... then the first minute of 'this' show, then the opening credits, then the first ads.
3 1/2 minutes in!!!! F.F.S! The producers put nice little fades where the ad`s will fit nicely, but E4 just dump `em in anywhere. (Same on ER too, Oh god... you`re getting quite an image of my viewing habits... nuff said.)

Clive
10-05-06, 06:48 PM
The ads are louder so you can hear them from the kitchen when you nip through to make a cuppa when they are on!

nikbj68
10-05-06, 06:55 PM
The ads are louder so you can hear them from the kitchen when you nip through to make a cuppa when they are on!

Echo co co co:p

COBRA KEV01
11-05-06, 06:08 PM
I`m sure ITV got slapped for it a few years ago, but I don`t know if the sat channels are covered by the same legislation.

I tell you what pi55es me off at the moment.... LOST just started again on E4, so you get 2 minutes of Previously on 'LOST'... then the first minute of 'this' show, then the opening credits, then the first ads.
3 1/2 minutes in!!!! F.F.S! The producers put nice little fades where the ad`s will fit nicely, but E4 just dump `em in anywhere. (Same on ER too, Oh god... you`re getting quite an image of my viewing habits... nuff said.)

I dont have that problem with lost becouse i download the episodes from limewire or some such body onto my computer so am never more than a week behind yankie land.Excellant as there are no adverts.
Cracking series,one of the best,totally addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!

COBRA KEV01
11-05-06, 06:10 PM
My TV has the option that enables sound to be kept at the same level when the commercials come on and works fine with terrestrial signal, but for some reason it gives up when receiving through Sky or digital box. A right pain in the rear

jeff

Yes i have to admit that i have not really noticed it on normal tv,but its an obvious irritance when watching in the other room via sky.

Keith S
12-05-06, 08:10 AM
Kev,
I'm afraid its a sign of getting old.
Perhaps you are turning into Victor Meldrew?

nikbj68
12-05-06, 01:36 PM
I download the episodes...so am never more than a week behind yankie land....
Cracking series,one of the best,totally addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they(you) on series 3 now? I can`t remember if my Lad said that it was being filmed or screened A.T.M.

Don`t know any wimmin that like it though, Odd.

Kevin W
12-05-06, 04:47 PM
I noticed the same effect on ITV and Channel 4, and i think taping problems might make it worse.
(2 lots of compression?). It sees particualrly noticable after 9:00pm. Never notice it before then.

Kevin

COBRA KEV01
12-05-06, 05:39 PM
Kev,
I'm afraid its a sign of getting old.
Perhaps you are turning into Victor Meldrew?

I fear that you might be right,things seem to be more of an irritance the older you get and that includes our politics and exasperating goverment who............................................... .....

COBRA KEV01
12-05-06, 05:43 PM
Are they(you) on series 3 now? I can`t remember if my Lad said that it was being filmed or screened A.T.M.

Don`t know any wimmin that like it though, Odd.

They are towards the back end of series 2, and at the last 3 episodes the last being a double bill! cant wait!!
They are on episode 22 now we are on episode 5.

bitsilly
12-05-06, 06:37 PM
The reason that normal programmes are quieter than adds is so if in the programme someone shouts, or there is an explosion, the TV has the capacity to get louder for necessary emphasis. Because the normal voices are therefore set queiter than the explosions, we all turn the TV up.

Bloody adds just push their levels to the max limit.

Moral of the story is, if you need to turn a programme up loud to hear the voices, expect a loud bang soon!

nikbj68
15-05-06, 05:43 AM
...And which advert is THE worst offender?
No contest.

http://bang.adamwelch.co.uk/images/Barry-Scott.jpg
"Haha...it`s me again, Barry Scott....."
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

You have to check out this Test of Clit Bang (http://bang.adamwelch.co.uk/), brilliant!

bitsilly
23-05-06, 04:06 PM
My God, I read every word and feel much better about myself.

osgood
23-05-06, 07:01 PM
Has anyone noticed how loud adverts are now played on sky TV,i find every night i am having to higher and lower the volume on my TV because of the bloody adverts.Is this a new commercial ploy.Also is it me or is anyone else pissed off with the adverts with regards to mortgages and loans that pollute our airspace on a daily basis.I wonder how many people have been left in a financial mess because of these parasites?

Every thing you post on this site really pisses me off BRUVE!!! Phil Osgood. :)

slogger
23-05-06, 08:04 PM
Every thing you post on this site really pisses me off BRUVE!!! Phil Osgood. :)

So the Osgood is back and as happy as ever!:D

Nice day?

osgood
23-05-06, 08:29 PM
Slogger the way this site is at present any new influx is welcome I guess Osgood;)

slogger
23-05-06, 08:43 PM
Slogger the way this site is at present any new influx is welcome I guess Osgood;)

Hmmm.......you have a point.

Nice to see you're back anyway!

osgood
24-05-06, 10:18 AM

Thanks Iain, Osgood :D

Neil O
24-05-06, 12:29 PM

Maybe some would like that rephrased...................

'Nice to see your back anyway!' ;)

osgood
24-05-06, 08:31 PM
Maybe some would like that rephrased...................

'Nice to see your back anyway!' ;)

Neil I guess that was a welcome back, many thanks, how about a new banner for Darkest Devon then, perhaps a torpor overloaded snail what do yer reckon my luver?? Osgood. :)

COBRA KEV01
24-05-06, 08:52 PM
Hi there bruver,just been watching the soap awards and god fern britton looks as big as a bus.Nice to see i have won another award phil,but i do know its down to you also!
grant

Clarkson
24-05-06, 09:53 PM
Neil I guess that was a welcome back, many thanks, how about a new banner for Darkest Devon then, perhaps a torpor overloaded snail what do yer reckon my luver?? Osgood. :)

SOGOOD,

If you don't like it you know what you can do......??????:eek: :eek: :D :D

Clarkson
24-05-06, 09:56 PM

Do ever disagree with anything??:rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

slogger
24-05-06, 10:32 PM
Do ever disagree with anything??:rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Ok ok. Start on me time!:mad:

Spend my working life fighting my corner. Could not be arsed to pick a fight with Osgood. Missed why he was finaly banished..................but there are some making this site personal which I feel is damaging to the club's image.:mad: :mad:

Some of the slagging off that has gone on should have been kept to PMs.............others have been a source of petty amusement.:D

Clarkson
24-05-06, 10:35 PM
Ok ok. Start on me time!:mad:

Spend my working life fighting my corner. Could not be arsed to pick a fight with Osgood. Missed why he was finaly banished..................but there are some making this site personal which I feel is damaging to the club's image.:mad: :mad:

Some of the slagging off that has gone on should have been kept to PMs.............others have been a source of petty amusement.:D

HaHa,

That has nothing to do with me!!:rolleyes: :D

He keeps picking on me re: Holley carb!!:rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :D

slogger
24-05-06, 10:41 PM
HaHa,

That has nothing to do with me!!:rolleyes: :D

He keeps picking on me re: Holley carb!!:rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :D

Sorry, just think of grumpy old man. Makes me smile.

Never mind. I'll be his age soon enough:confused: :confused:

osgood
25-05-06, 08:54 AM
Hi there bruver,just been watching the soap awards and god fern britton looks as big as a bus.Nice to see i have won another award Phil,but i do know its down to you also!
grant

Hi Bruv, remember that one you did on the box some years ago advertising slimming stuff you remember the one where you called yourself Barry Bezel, that really got on my T-tt's just like the Cillitt Bang, that pra--'s called Barry as well, any relation?? Talking of Fern my other half met them in the lift at the local M&S some months back as they live local, Phil my name sake was also in attendance The wife said she was more like a single decker perhaps she does wear that put on ten stone outfit after all?

Right what do you reckon to the changes on the site then while we have been away in far and distant places training and changing our vocation??

Osgood :rolleyes:

Neil O
25-05-06, 08:57 AM

I think I've already welcomed you back on another thread. I wouldn't want to do it twice. ;)
You might start to think I actually mean it...............................:p :D

osgood
25-05-06, 08:58 AM
Sorry, just think of grumpy old man. Makes me smile.

Never mind. I'll be his age soon enough:confused: :confused:

:p :p Barry Grant's to you two :( Victor So-Good :mad: